Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

East or West Coast??

Wikiposts

East or West Coast??

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Question Re: East or West Coast??

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
1) You realise that PNP is done in two stages? First you apply to the Province for Nomination and then once you are Nominated you apply to London for PR. It's at the stage where the Nomination is issued that many people move to Canada on a TWP while the PR application is being processed. Whilst you are on a TWP your status IS dependent on that job. However, under this route you are normally only on the TWP for 4-5 months before you get your Permanent Resident visas so the risk is greatly reduced. Once you have PR you can do what you want - work for someone else, not work at all, or start a business as you choose.

2) There are ski resorts but if you're heavily into downhill skiing you might be disappointed. We get plenty of snow (great for snowmobiling, snow-shoeing and cross-country skiing) but we dont really have world-class mountains. Ski Martock is fine for an afternoon or for kids lessons. Ski Wentworth is better and fine for a weekend. But it isn't Mont Blanc. For serious skiing there are resorts in Newfoundland or Quebec or Maine in the US.

3) Generally my advice would be to start to identify potential employers (via online research or otherwise). Get your Resume in order and start to contact these employers (either by phone or email first then follow-up by phone). Tell them that you are planning a trip over in a few weeks and ask if they would be willing to meet with you. So, ideally, try to get a few possible interviews lined-up first then book you reccie trip and come over to meet with them and have a look around.

4) Once you have a job offer you can put your PNP applications in (note there is a form for the employer to submit too for this route). And it should take 3-4 months to get Nomination, at which point you could move over on TWPs to start the job while the PR applications get processed.
Thanks for the clarification Paul, I really appreciate it, things are (slowly) sinking in, you have been really helpful!!

My husband has done a Resume, which we are hoping is in Canadian format. Through research on here and the internet generally. I know this is rather forward, and please forgive me, but I was wondering if I could email it to you, purely for your opinion on its format and that is set out how a Canadian employer would expect it to be? Please don't feel obliged however.

I don't want to appear as though I have latched on to you but can you recommend any good schools. Our daughters are ages 7 and 9. I appreciate this question is probably a bit vague. As for most parents, their schooling is extremely important to us, and to be honest one of our main drivers for wanting to move and I would be quite willing to go to wherever the good schools are.

I have been briefly looking at accommodation but obviously NS is a pretty large province and its hard to know where to start in this area.

We're definitely thinking of taking the reccie trip at end May/beg June and would like to get a clear idea of which areas to look at.

Taking all the above into account I suppose we've also got to go where the jobs are. My husband's a shift supervisor for TNT so he's going to make enquiries to see if they have a depot in Halifax, or anywhere else in NS. However, he has already made enquiries about a transfer and they have said they only do transfers for 'senior' positions but would definitely consider him once he had made the move out there. If only a transfer was possible I'm sure it would make life a little easier!! Oh well, these things are sent to try us. Whilst I am not averse to working, I have a rather demanding job as personal assistant to a Senior Partner of a law firm at the moment and work full time, but once we make the move to Canada I would prefer to have 6 months off, just to ensure the kids settle in and hopefully become fully involved in the community that we live in and do some voluntary work where possible, which again, hopefully, will make the intergation smoother.

As I said before Paul, thanks so much for your advice already - it's been invaluable

Nic
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:55 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East or West Coast??

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Thanks for the clarification Paul, I really appreciate it, things are (slowly) sinking in, you have been really helpful!!

My husband has done a Resume, which we are hoping is in Canadian format. Through research on here and the internet generally. I know this is rather forward, and please forgive me, but I was wondering if I could email it to you, purely for your opinion on its format and that is set out how a Canadian employer would expect it to be? Please don't feel obliged however.

I don't want to appear as though I have latched on to you but can you recommend any good schools. Our daughters are ages 7 and 9. I appreciate this question is probably a bit vague. As for most parents, their schooling is extremely important to us, and to be honest one of our main drivers for wanting to move and I would be quite willing to go to wherever the good schools are.

I have been briefly looking at accommodation but obviously NS is a pretty large province and its hard to know where to start in this area.

We're definitely thinking of taking the reccie trip at end May/beg June and would like to get a clear idea of which areas to look at.

Taking all the above into account I suppose we've also got to go where the jobs are. My husband's a shift supervisor for TNT so he's going to make enquiries to see if they have a depot in Halifax, or anywhere else in NS. However, he has already made enquiries about a transfer and they have said they only do transfers for 'senior' positions but would definitely consider him once he had made the move out there. If only a transfer was possible I'm sure it would make life a little easier!! Oh well, these things are sent to try us. Whilst I am not averse to working, I have a rather demanding job as personal assistant to a Senior Partner of a law firm at the moment and work full time, but once we make the move to Canada I would prefer to have 6 months off, just to ensure the kids settle in and hopefully become fully involved in the community that we live in and do some voluntary work where possible, which again, hopefully, will make the intergation smoother.

As I said before Paul, thanks so much for your advice already - it's been invaluable

Nic
My email address is below. I'm not really a Resume expert but I can probably pass it on to someone for comments.

As for schools it depends on where you plan to live. Actually inside the city (Halifax or Dartmouth) I undertstand you need to be a bit more careful about which school catchment you fall into but if you are in one of the popular commuter areas like Bedford, Hammonds Plains, Fall River, Tantallon or Porters Lake I dont think you can go far wrong - all the schools are very good and very well equiped. Further afield I couldnt say - other people on here may be able to comment about schools in Truro, Bridgewater etc.

If your husband has a possibility of a transfer then he may be able to get a work permit as an inter-company transferee which can be very fast as no LMO is needed. But he would need to have "specilised knowledge" of the company products/processes to qualify.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
My email address is below. I'm not really a Resume expert but I can probably pass it on to someone for comments.

As for schools it depends on where you plan to live. Actually inside the city (Halifax or Dartmouth) I undertstand you need to be a bit more careful about which school catchment you fall into but if you are in one of the popular commuter areas like Bedford, Hammonds Plains, Fall River, Tantallon or Porters Lake I dont think you can go far wrong - all the schools are very good and very well equiped. Further afield I couldnt say - other people on here may be able to comment about schools in Truro, Bridgewater etc.

If your husband has a possibility of a transfer then he may be able to get a work permit as an inter-company transferee which can be very fast as no LMO is needed. But he would need to have "specilised knowledge" of the company products/processes to qualify.
Thanks Paul, I've sent an email attaching Lee's Resume, by all means pass on as you see fit.

Really helpful info about the schools, that's great. I'm just piecing together the jigsaw puzzle that will help us out when we finally sort out the reccie trip.

Lee definitely has detailed knowledge about TNT and the company's products/services etc so I would hope that he would be ok in this area. I suppose it cannot do any harm to make contact with the Operations Manager and then when we do come out arrange to meet which might lead to something, we can keep our fingers crossed!

Nic
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

What about Saskatchewan?? our beloved province is usually the butt of the rest of the Country's jokes - but as our PM Harper said a few weeks ago at present SK is the only place to be in the Western World, for economic security. And as your question was about jobs, among other stuff........

Very overlooked province...to the loss of the overlookers!!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
What about Saskatchewan?? our beloved province is usually the butt of the rest of the Country's jokes - but as our PM Harper said a few weeks ago at present SK is the only place to be in the Western World, for economic security. And as your question was about jobs, among other stuff........

Very overlooked province...to the loss of the overlookers!!
Harper also believed George Dubya was a worthwhile 'ally', he thinks we should be Afghanistan, he 'supports' Rob Anders, need I go on?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:07 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We are just are the research stage at the moment, all we know is that if we are going to Canada it will be on a TWP. Initially we had looked at British Columbia but after reading a lot of threads Nova Scotia definitely seems like a popular destination. We are going to have to do a recce trip at some point but obviously when we have made a decision on the location. I was just wondering if anyone who is in, or has experience of either province could let us know of any pros/cons.

Thanks very much
West!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Lee definitely has detailed knowledge about TNT and the company's products/services etc so I would hope that he would be ok in this area.
Have you read the Wiki article about intra-company transfers? That should tell you instantly whether or not he'd qualify.............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

Also, if you haven't seen it already, the Wiki also has an article about how to turn your CV into a Canadian resume.

Good luck.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Harper also believed George Dubya was a worthwhile 'ally', he thinks we should be Afghanistan, he 'supports' Rob Anders, need I go on?
Oh stop it!! your're just jealous of Saskatchewan
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Jenneh is an unknown quantity at this point

"Thats easy - the Nova Scotia is the one to go for Not that I'm biased or anything"

If thats your choice I hope you like snow.

I do suggest AB, even with the recession it's still fairly easy to find a job, and everything is cheap cheap now, and Calgary is a booming city.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenneh
"Thats easy - the Nova Scotia is the one to go for Not that I'm biased or anything"

I do suggest AB, even with the recession it's still fairly easy to find a job, and everything is cheap cheap now, and Calgary is a booming city.
Bearing in mind they're emigrating to Canada I would say they've probably considered the possibility of heavy snowfall......and if that was their only criteria they'd be heading for Vancouver rather than Calgary!

Also, not sure that many on here would agree that Calgary is still 'booming' considering the number of redundancies there recently, and the number of people on this forum who have lost jobs there (some even before they've left the UK, offers have been rescinded). It may be 'booming' for some industries, but those who are trying to get a LMO are certainly struggling more than normal as there are plenty of Canadians out of work at the mo.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Personally I live in Calgary and everyone I know is secure in their job for the majority. But i'm only 20 and really I just want more hot British boys to come to Calgary haha. Their the only foreigners I really want to come. Or Australlians I just love the accents, and i've only met 2 guys from England my age, both of which I dated, and one of which I still like haha.
BUT I MUST HAVE MORE BRITISH BOYS!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Personally I live in Calgary and everyone I know is secure in their job for the majority.
But with all due respect, that's because they're already in Calgary! You obviously aren't aware but for a Brit to get a Temp Work Permit their employer has to prove there is no Canadian willing, or able, to do the job - which is not easy given how many Canadians are currently out of work. So Calgary is not 'booming' for a lot of foreign workers who are struggling to get there.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

True enouuuuuugh I didn't realize that no Canadian had to not be able to do it in order for a foriegner to. Cause as it would seem, every fast food place I seem to go to is Asian or Pakistanian workers. They seem to be better off then some white people are.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:15 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

True enouuuuuugh I didn't realize that no Canadian had to not be able to do it in order for a foriegner to. Cause as it would seem, every fast food place I seem to go to is Asian or Pakistanian workers. They seem to be better off then some white people are.
Nothing like a good PC post to start the afternoon...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:16 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might find AB has had more than we have this year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.