Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

East or West Coast??

Wikiposts

East or West Coast??

Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Question East or West Coast??

We are just are the research stage at the moment, all we know is that if we are going to Canada it will be on a TWP. Initially we had looked at British Columbia but after reading a lot of threads Nova Scotia definitely seems like a popular destination. We are going to have to do a recce trip at some point but obviously when we have made a decision on the location. I was just wondering if anyone who is in, or has experience of either province could let us know of any pros/cons.

Thanks very much
Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East or West Coast??

Originally Posted by Smudger75
We are just are the research stage at the moment, all we know is that if we are going to Canada it will be on a TWP. Initially we had looked at British Columbia but after reading a lot of threads Nova Scotia definitely seems like a popular destination. We are going to have to do a recce trip at some point but obviously when we have made a decision on the location. I was just wondering if anyone who is in, or has experience of either province could let us know of any pros/cons.

Thanks very much
To be honest, I think the first thing you need to do is figure out where you're likely to find work! You might find that you can only get jobs in Alberta, for example, so BC and NS are not options anyway.

Have you read the following Wiki article? It might be useful..............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages

Good luck.

Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:50 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much
Thats easy - the Nova Scotia is the one to go for Not that I'm biased or anything

Out of interest why are you set on going via a TWP? If you do have a job offer (which obviously you have to for a TWP) then a program such as Nova Scotia's Provincial Nominee Program has the advantage that you can apply for PR, when you receive your Nomination you can obtain a TWP without your employer having to go through the usual process of getting an LMO, but when you move to Canada you know that you are going to get PR in a few months when the federal processing is completed. So its less hassle for your employer and its less risky for you. I say this because these days no job is for life and if something goes wrong with your job while you're on a TWP then you arent allowed to work for anyone else.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Go to the east coast, it's getting too crowded here.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Thats easy - the Nova Scotia is the one to go for Not that I'm biased or anything

Out of interest why are you set on going via a TWP? If you do have a job offer (which obviously you have to for a TWP) then a program such as Nova Scotia's Provincial Nominee Program has the advantage that you can apply for PR, when you receive your Nomination you can obtain a TWP without your employer having to go through the usual process of getting an LMO, but when you move to Canada you know that you are going to get PR in a few months when the federal processing is completed. So its less hassle for your employer and its less risky for you. I say this because these days no job is for life and if something goes wrong with your job while you're on a TWP then you arent allowed to work for anyone else.
We've been looking at TWP because we cannot get enough points to apply for PR under FSW and it was only yesterday that I found out about Nova Scotia's PNP and the fact that you can apply without a job offer. Thats where Nova Scotia came into the equation. I had a look on a few websites and it is very clear you definitely get a lot of house for your money out there and whilst I know Canada is vast it does look very open and spacious. Where would you say are the best areas? One place I briefly looked at was Sydney but that did look far away from pretty much everywhere, but very nice. If we could apply under the NS PNP it would be a huge weight off our shoulders because that is one thing my husband is desperately worried about, going on a TWP and then having to come back to the UK. We have two daughters 9 and 7 and would hate to upheave them only to have to come back.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt the question will help you make your decision. Most who moved to the the east will support their decision, likewise those on the west have their preferences and reason for doing so.

Set yourself a list of what you do and don't want, visit both places and decide from that.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:30 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

This is one of those how long is a piece of string questions. Good and bad either way. West coast is generally more expensive, at least for housing, especially in the Greater Vancouver Area.

As already noted, you need to go where the jobs are.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:17 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been looking at TWP because we cannot get enough points to apply for PR under FSW and it was only yesterday that I found out about Nova Scotia's PNP and the fact that you can apply without a job offer. Thats where Nova Scotia came into the equation. I had a look on a few websites and it is very clear you definitely get a lot of house for your money out there and whilst I know Canada is vast it does look very open and spacious. Where would you say are the best areas? One place I briefly looked at was Sydney but that did look far away from pretty much everywhere, but very nice. If we could apply under the NS PNP it would be a huge weight off our shoulders because that is one thing my husband is desperately worried about, going on a TWP and then having to come back to the UK. We have two daughters 9 and 7 and would hate to upheave them only to have to come back.
Wait - the NS PNP stream I was referring to was the PNP Skilled Worker stream and you do need a job offer for that. But the advantage is that your Nomination waives the requirement for your employer to get an LMO.

You may be thinking of the other stream - the NS PNP Community Identified Stream. Quite a few people on this forum have gone that route and, although you dont need a job offer, you do need to have "long-standing ties" to a particular community in NS. Those that havent had them already have spent quite some time developing them (including buying houses and living in NS for up to a year without being allowed to work) in order to demonstrate their community connections.

If you can get a job offer before you go I would always say thats the safest bet. Apart from having an income when you arrive you also have the support network of people you work with. I was just making the point that its best not to rely purely on a TWP if you can avoid it - its fine as a temporary measure for a few months but you should always try and have a PR application in process at the same time.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: East or West Coast??

NSPaul,

Thanks very much for your reply.

You're right I was thinking of the PNP Community Identified scheme, but to be honest I have still to read the wiki docs on this to fully appreciate what is involved and by the sounds of it we probably would struggle in that area as we don't have any ties at present with NS. Security is definitely something that is important to us and therefore securing a job offer definitely seems sensible, they are just so hard to come by whilst trying to sort out from the UK. If my husband could secure a job offer and we applied for PNP as a skilled worker would his visa only be secure on that job? The reason I ask is i have seen quite a few threads that refer to people being made redundant from the job they have obtained the visa on (although I trust this is only if you enter on TWP) and they have then had to apply for a new TWP for a new job - please let me know if I have misread this, and this is not correct.

I have read so much on this forum that whilst I'm sure it has given me greater knowledge, some things do confuse me!

We are definitely going to have to come out to NS because it is new to our whole thought process and has actually thrown me into turmoil. It sounds such a beautiful place, we could have a 'dream' house, everyone says how friendly people are, it seems like there is no competition - but I still feel torn. How is the skiing in NS - my hubby being an huge winter sports fan, I think it would be important to know that he could still get his fix in the winter months, even in NS. Looking on the internet it looks as though there are some ski resorts but it would be interesting to know what these are like.

What do you think our next step should be? Is a recce visit too early, should we concentrate on applying for jobs, and hopefully getting the application for PR in under PNP for skilled workers. All these things are going round in my head and I just don't seem to get anywhere? Also do you know what kind of timescales we're talking about if applying through this route?

I'm sorry there are a lot of questions here, I think i should crack on with reading the wiki, but from a personal point of view if you can answer any of these questions it would be much appreciated.

Nic
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Thanks very much

What about the bit in the middle??
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much
The west coast culture is quite different than east coast culture - different demographics, different climates, different industries, different atmosphere in the cities, and so on. East coast living is much more rural, slow-paced, with Celtic traditions - a lot more North American history steeped in maritime traditions. West coast living, if you're actually on the coast, is more urban, modern, and with more of an immigrant mix (Asian, Indian, etc). The two opposite ends of Canada may as well be in different countries. Canadians who grow up in BC and move to Nova Scotia often get culture shock, and vice versa.

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 21st 2009 at 6:54 am.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:53 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

If you like the idea of mild short(ish) winters, head west. If you like long miserable winters head east.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:55 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by Danny B
If you like the idea of mild short(ish) winters, head west. If you like long miserable winters head east.
Mild but wet as I understand it. Rain, rain, rain all winter just like in the UK. Wheras we have snow and its generally cold but sunny. Not that I'm trying to start an east vs west argument here or anything
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:10 am
Immigration Consultant

NSPaul,

Thanks very much for your reply.

You're right I was thinking of the PNP Community Identified scheme, but to be honest I have still to read the wiki docs on this to fully appreciate what is involved and by the sounds of it we probably would struggle in that area as we don't have any ties at present with NS. Security is definitely something that is important to us and therefore securing a job offer definitely seems sensible, they are just so hard to come by whilst trying to sort out from the UK. If my husband could secure a job offer 1) and we applied for PNP as a skilled worker would his visa only be secure on that job? The reason I ask is i have seen quite a few threads that refer to people being made redundant from the job they have obtained the visa on (although I trust this is only if you enter on TWP) and they have then had to apply for a new TWP for a new job - please let me know if I have misread this, and this is not correct.

I have read so much on this forum that whilst I'm sure it has given me greater knowledge, some things do confuse me!

We are definitely going to have to come out to NS because it is new to our whole thought process and has actually thrown me into turmoil. It sounds such a beautiful place, we could have a 'dream' house, everyone says how friendly people are, it seems like there is no competition - but I still feel torn. 2) How is the skiing in NS - my hubby being an huge winter sports fan, I think it would be important to know that he could still get his fix in the winter months, even in NS. Looking on the internet it looks as though there are some ski resorts but it would be interesting to know what these are like.

What do you think our next step should be? 3) Is a recce visit too early, should we concentrate on applying for jobs, and hopefully getting the application for PR in under PNP for skilled workers. All these things are going round in my head and I just don't seem to get anywhere? Also 4) do you know what kind of timescales we're talking about if applying through this route?

I'm sorry there are a lot of questions here, I think i should crack on with reading the wiki, but from a personal point of view if you can answer any of these questions it would be much appreciated.

Nic
1) You realise that PNP is done in two stages? First you apply to the Province for Nomination and then once you are Nominated you apply to London for PR. It's at the stage where the Nomination is issued that many people move to Canada on a TWP while the PR application is being processed. Whilst you are on a TWP your status IS dependent on that job. However, under this route you are normally only on the TWP for 4-5 months before you get your Permanent Resident visas so the risk is greatly reduced. Once you have PR you can do what you want - work for someone else, not work at all, or start a business as you choose.

2) There are ski resorts but if you're heavily into downhill skiing you might be disappointed. We get plenty of snow (great for snowmobiling, snow-shoeing and cross-country skiing) but we dont really have world-class mountains. Ski Martock is fine for an afternoon or for kids lessons. Ski Wentworth is better and fine for a weekend. But it isn't Mont Blanc. For serious skiing there are resorts in Newfoundland or Quebec or Maine in the US.

3) Generally my advice would be to start to identify potential employers (via online research or otherwise). Get your Resume in order and start to contact these employers (either by phone or email first then follow-up by phone). Tell them that you are planning a trip over in a few weeks and ask if they would be willing to meet with you. So, ideally, try to get a few possible interviews lined-up first then book you reccie trip and come over to meet with them and have a look around.

4) Once you have a job offer you can put your PNP applications in (note there is a form for the employer to submit too for this route). And it should take 3-4 months to get Nomination, at which point you could move over on TWPs to start the job while the PR applications get processed.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Mild but wet as I understand it. Rain, rain, rain all winter just like in the UK. Wheras we have snow and its generally cold but sunny. Not that I'm trying to start an east vs west argument here or anything
Not much rain here in the BC Interior, but yes, loads of rain on the Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.