East V West

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

BandAid is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow East V West

Hi all.

Back in May, Ali and I checked out Alberta. (Calgary, Edmonton and all points between!!)

As we thought we would, we fell in love with Canada and so are doubly determined to settle there.

But, one thing we noticed was that housing is pretty expensive and, talking to people out there, is on the rise. So, is there any benefit to looking at East Canada, say Manitoba, Ontario or Nova Scotia.

I'm a paramedic and Head of Emergency Preparedness for my ambulance service here in the UK. Talking to City of Calgary EMS they're hiring (paramedics) - but what's the picture to the east?

Does anyone know the process for "converting" from a UK paramedic to a Canadian advanced care paramedic? - and what's the main differences between western and eastern EMSs?

Any help would be very welcome
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:08 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East V West

Originally Posted by BandAid
Hi all.

Back in May, Ali and I checked out Alberta. (Calgary, Edmonton and all points between!!)

As we thought we would, we fell in love with Canada and so are doubly determined to settle there.

But, one thing we noticed was that housing is pretty expensive and, talking to people out there, is on the rise. So, is there any benefit to looking at East Canada, say Manitoba, Ontario or Nova Scotia.

I'm a paramedic and Head of Emergency Preparedness for my ambulance service here in the UK. Talking to City of Calgary EMS they're hiring (paramedics) - but what's the picture to the east?

Does anyone know the process for "converting" from a UK paramedic to a Canadian advanced care paramedic? - and what's the main differences between western and eastern EMSs?

Any help would be very welcome
Hi Band Aid,

Saw that you are not too far from us here in the UK.

Am not sure of question re your occupation, but we have recently visited NS, and are looking to make the move there so If I can help with any info on this area, please let me know

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

lee2 is on a distinguished road

Actually a recent report said that housing in the west is overvalued, so you may find that prices might fall a little out west. Ontario generally is pretty expensive, especially the Greater Toronto Area. For better prices, better to look to the maritimes: Nova Scotia etc. all depends of course on demand for paramedics which is something I know nothing about.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nikki

thanks for replying.

Since visiting Canada we've got a bad case of "itchy feet" and really can't wait to make the move.

We had set ourselves a 2 year plan - I'm about to start a 2 year MSc degree in risk, crisis management and disaster recovery (it's what I do at work) and so reckon this will increase my points and improve my chances at landing the perfect job!

Although I'm "Head of Emergency Preparedness" for my ambulance service I am also a state registered paramedic. (I still respond to emergency calls and backup lesser qualified crews). So, the killer question is, do I go out as a paramedic or stick to Plan A?

Now, I do know Alberta (and BC) paramedics are a different breed to those in the East (Ontario, Manitoba, NS etc.) - I'm trying to find out what those differences are.

Another main thing we're trying to establish (and you might be able to help here) is the cost of housing in the east. We found housing in Alberta was quite expensive (on a par to here in the SE of the UK) and so wonder what it's like in the east.

So, any info re: cost of living etc. in NS would be really helpful.

P.S - fingers crossed on the sale of your house.

JD and Ali.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lee,
thanks for the reply.

I currently have submitted my resume and covering letter for a job as an assistant emergency preparedness manager with the Govt. of Ontario - based in Toronto.

The salary is a max of $76k - is that good for living in Toronto?

JD
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

do it now not drekly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello band Aid
Just throwing in a bit of information.
We left cornwall 27 years ago and headed out to Alberta.
Yes Nova Scotia is very much like Cornwall/Devon etc and property is cheaper but have to say that prices in Edmonton and area have come down quite a bit and there is not much selling - so definitely a buyers market - prices are cheaper in the East because there are not the jobs available as out here. Also remember that there is no sales tax in Alberta. Yes I love the idea of the N S coast - but winters are damp - at least in Alberta it is dry and sunny. Hope this helps - we know what you ar going through.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

lee2 is on a distinguished road

The salary you mention would seem quite good for living in Toronto. Once again, I know nothing about the world of paramedics but I think any health care job in the biggest city in the country would be quite stressful, especially in comparison to smaller communities like Nova Scotia.

I like living in Toronto because I like cities and I'm in the media and Toronto, for better or for worse is the media centre of Canada. But it's by no means everyone's cup of tea and just like London, a lot of people would rather NOT live in Toronto with all its stresses and its high expense. It all depends what kind of people you are and what you're looking for.

That said - using the London comparison again - is that most things, property, rent etc. are probably about half the price of London. It's just that there are other parts of Canada that are a third cheaper than that again.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Hiya

Thanks for your reply.

As long as there's snow during the winter I don't mind.

With there being no sales tax, don't you find manufacturers just inflate their prices so you're paying similar prices to other Provinces?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Manitoba considers itself "East" but could be wrong. The university at least says it's "...at the heart of excellence". That's a nice way of saying "in the middle of nowhere"

Having said that, it's not a bad place to live. There are some current threads on Winnipeg in particular that will give you starting points for more web research.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't think Manitoba considers itself "East" but could be wrong. The university at least says it's "...at the heart of excellence". That's a nice way of saying "in the middle of nowhere"

Having said that, it's not a bad place to live. There are some current threads on Winnipeg in particular that will give you starting points for more web research.
Thanks Biiiiiiiiiiink for the pointers.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lee2
The salary you mention would seem quite good for living in Toronto. Once again, I know nothing about the world of paramedics but I think any health care job in the biggest city in the country would be quite stressful, especially in comparison to smaller communities like Nova Scotia.

I like living in Toronto because I like cities and I'm in the media and Toronto, for better or for worse is the media centre of Canada. But it's by no means everyone's cup of tea and just like London, a lot of people would rather NOT live in Toronto with all its stresses and its high expense. It all depends what kind of people you are and what you're looking for.

That said - using the London comparison again - is that most things, property, rent etc. are probably about half the price of London. It's just that there are other parts of Canada that are a third cheaper than that again.
Cheers Lee for the reply - really useful. Lots of Karma to you!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:54 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by do it now not drekly
Also remember that there is no sales tax in Alberta.
Please would you tell all the retailers etc. Everytime I buy anything I get hit with GST.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee2
Actually a recent report said that housing in the west is overvalued, so you may find that prices might fall a little out west.
I think the West is well overdue a house price crash; prices here in Saskatoon are pretty stable and likely to fall as the supply of houses builds up, last I heard prices in Edmonton were dropping, I don't know about elsewhere in Alberta.

Last edited by MarkG; Sep 3rd 2008 at 1:05 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:55 am
Just Joined

do it now not drekly is an unknown quantity at this point

hello band aid
A lot of people think that places like N S are warmer just because of the temperatures but you have to remember that on the prairies the temperature is colder but it is dry and sunny and snowy- I would rather have -10 dry than 0 and damp.
You might want to check out the University of Alberta Hospital - first class-
Hope this helps
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by do it now not drekly
I would rather have -10 dry than 0 and damp.
I'd rather have -40, dry and sunny than 0 and damp .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.