Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Earthquake ponders (Vancouver)

Earthquake ponders (Vancouver)

Old May 31st 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake ponders (Vancouver)

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
I was in Surrey during the last one and it felt like a truck hit the building. The epicenter was around Seattle. Called the family in Chilliwack and they did not feel a thing. Our property sitting atop gravel, the gravel seemed to absorb the shocks.

There is a possibility of a one in 200 earthquake, it could hit next week or in who knows how many years. Although it is in the back of many peoples mind, it does not preoccupy day to day life. There is a risk Mount Baker will erupt, there is a flood risk in the Fraser basin every year. Was there not an earthquake in the UK earlier this year? Floods in some areas as well. We're not immune to disasters wherever we are. The biggest risk areas in an earthquake are built up suburban areas, Richmond, which would disappear and coastal areas hit be a resulting tsunami.

Then we could get run over crossing the street.
I like Bazz's idea get lots of beer and then have plenty of water to cure the hangover. By the way Richmond is mainly at risk from liquefaction during an earthquake rather than tsunami (but I am not going there again!!!!!!!).
Old May 31st 2008, 2:37 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
By the way Richmond is mainly at risk from liquefaction during an earthquake rather than tsunami (but I am not going there again!!!!!!!).
I remember seeing a show on TV in the recent past about tsunamis and what struck me was that they figure that a very large chunk of the island of Hawaii is at some point going to break off and tumble in to the ocean and when it does the resulting tsunami will wipe out everything on every coastline of the Pacific Ocean.
Old May 31st 2008, 5:31 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I remember seeing a show on TV in the recent past about tsunamis and what struck me was that they figure that a very large chunk of the island of Hawaii is at some point going to break off and tumble in to the ocean and when it does the resulting tsunami will wipe out everything on every coastline of the Pacific Ocean.
isn't the same thing predicted for one of the Canary Islands too, if the ridge falls it will devastate coastline all around the Atlantic.

It'll have to be a bloody big tsunami to get me
Old May 31st 2008, 5:44 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
isn't the same thing predicted for one of the Canary Islands too, if the ridge falls it will devastate coastline all around the Atlantic.

It'll have to be a bloody big tsunami to get me
Maybe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbre_Vieja#Future_threat
Old May 31st 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it we all all doomed......!!!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse, you could be on the chunk that breaks off !!!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:34 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by mjwalker007
Could be worse, you could be on the chunk that breaks off !!!
You could check out http://www.geoscape.nrcan.gc.ca/vancouver/earth_e.php it might give you guys some idea of the frequency, since the UK had a 5.2 26/02/08 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7266741.stm so it means they have had a higher magnitude earthquake that the Vancouver area has had in the last 30 years. So I guess you have to give it some perspective.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:08 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PMM
.. since the UK had a 5.2 ... so it means they have had a higher magnitude earthquake that the Vancouver area has had in the last 30 years.
Wow, another great reason not to move back, possible earthquakes in England!!

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:50 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

London is at high risk of flooding if there is high rainfall combined with a surge spring tide. With rising sea levels the Thames barrier could not hold it all back. Seven million people don't seem to be too concerned.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:47 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
I was talking to a guy at work at length today about earthquake risk hazard and he told me more details about Vancouver earthquake risk, and some of the preventative measures that have been undertaken recently (preventing damage from a 7 pretty much under Vancouver, or a 9 off shore from VI). Bascially codes really only got detailed in 1985 and have got more stringent with each successive revision with the last code upadte being 2005. Its quite interesting as I knew about earthquake risk in general on that coast but I didn't know the details about rupture, size, frequency etc. He used to live in Vancouver and used to have a top ten list of buildings he would not like to be in if/when it strikes!!!

He says that areas of the city will suffer much more than others due to thicknesses of underlying soils and I asked whether that impacted house prices. He said he didn't think so, but I am still interested in that idea.

I have never heard anyone mention earthquake risk or hazard on here and I wondered if you lot from Vancouver ever give it a moment's notice? Do the schools have drills? Or the work places?

Gryph

Remember my computer swinging from side to side when there was one around Seattle around 2001. Everyone in the office just froze to the spot. Well scary. Felt a couple (ooh err missus) while in Vancouver. Had one on the beach in Greece last summer. You feel so small.

Thats quite enough double entendres for one day.