Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Earthquake ponders (Vancouver)

Earthquake ponders (Vancouver)

Old May 29th 2008, 1:35 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake ponders (Vancouver)

Originally Posted by gryphea
That may be true, I don't know the exact geology. It could liquify like Kobe, especially if they are silts, fine sands and medium sands with a high water table, which was a huge disaster esepcially in monetery terms. But I think it may be that its like the Mexico City, that there are depths of soil that amplify certain frequencies. These end up matching the natural frequencies of the overlying structures and you in effect get destruction through resonance. In mexico city the detruction was very specific, buildings 5- 30 stories high, due to preiod and resonance effects.

Gryph
Liquefaction will occur in Richmond.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:49 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Yes, the kids all have drills, and lectures - and then come home and check that we have our plans in place, water stashed away etc.

The worrying thing for me (as a parent) is the state of the schools, one or two here would not do at all well in the event of a shake

This was in today's news:

COQUITLAM - Three elementary schools in Coquitlam will be getting seismic upgrades. The government plans to spend $4.5 million on R.C. MacDonald, Parkland and Anmore schools. Work will start this summer.

The upgrades are part of the governments $1.5 billion plan to make schools more earthquake resistant over the next 15 years.
Yep, they are taking 15 years to sort it out Some parents are not happy bunnies about this at all
Old May 29th 2008, 1:57 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lof
i was wondering why people (and not thousands but millions of them) move there, exactly knowing that it will happen again. it's only a matter of time.
Yep, it was my only reason against this area - and was nearly the point when I threw the scheme up. I know Brits that moved elsewhere (other countries even) when they found that one out!

For the full scary picture go to http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...pl_region=west for the earthquakes in Western Canada in the last month

Saying that, I now live on lovely granite (although friends say that as it is the side of a hill I'll just slide into the Burrard inlet ) but Richmond, that place will have severe problems (reclaimed land, prone to flooding) and I would not want live there for love nor money for that very reason.

The other thing is, we all have some natural disaster or other waiting in the wings depending on where we live - hurricanes (Maritimes), Tornados, Blizzards, etc. It definitely is not immovable*, temperate England that we have moved to !!

Clare

*Although, since moving here, England seem to have had more big shakes than us.
Old May 29th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Yes, the kids all have drills, and lectures - and then come home and check that we have our plans in place, water stashed away etc.

The worrying thing for me (as a parent) is the state of the schools, one or two here would not do at all well in the event of a shake

This was in today's news:

Yep, they are taking 15 years to sort it out Some parents are not happy bunnies about this at all
Its tricky though, spending public money- isn't it? Especially for Vancouver where the risks are educated guesses and the uncertainty about recurrance is more than for say California.

Maybe it takes 15 yrs as they want to rotate round them all? Shortage of workers?

Its good to hear the schools have drills, though.

Gryph
Old May 29th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Liquefaction will occur in Richmond.
hmmn that's not good

IS it cheaper to live there? or is it desirable?
Old May 29th 2008, 2:43 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never heard anyone mention earthquake risk or hazard on here and I wondered if you lot from Vancouver ever give it a moment's notice? Do the schools have drills? Or the work places?

I've lived most of my life here (Vancouver Island) and the notion of 'the big one' is something that I actually appreciate.

I've felt five significant earthquakes in my life and instead of frightening, I found them exciting and amazing! Feeling all that natural energy... and realising its sheer power and power over, reminds me that I'm just a wee speck of dust in the grande scheme of things. And I like that, it puts a shine on life experiences that safety can not offer... not offer me anyway.

That said, I am reasonably prepared.
http://www.pep.gov.bc.ca/hazard_prep...w/prepare.html
Old May 29th 2008, 2:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I've lived most of my life here (Vancouver Island) and the notion of 'the big one' is something that I actually appreciate.

I've felt five significant earthquakes in my life and instead of frightening, I found them exciting and amazing! Feeling all that natural energy... and realising its sheer power and power over, reminds me that I'm just a wee speck of dust in the grande scheme of things. And I like that, it puts a shine on life experiences that safety can not offer... not offer me anyway.

I find that rather callous and unusual for you. Much as I dislike Vancouver, I don't relish the prospect of it being razed, with a probably large toll in human life.
Old May 29th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Always good when the earth moves, eh.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I find that rather callous and unusual for you. Much as I dislike Vancouver, I don't relish the prospect of it being razed, with a probably large toll in human life.
I don't think anyone would wish an earthquake on Vancouver, or anywhere else for that matter. I can understand how HWP feels though. Just to experience the sheer force of nature can be very enlightening knowing that there is very little we can do to control it.
I'm sure that the 'storm chasers' down in the States don't chase the storm purely to collect scientific information.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard anyone mention earthquake risk or hazard on here and I wondered if you lot from Vancouver ever give it a moment's notice? Do the schools have drills? Or the work places?
A moments notice, but that is all. Yes, the schools have drills. Yes, we have a survival pack made up, and yes, we pay an extra premium for earthquake cover on our household insurance policy. Otherwise no, we don't really think about it much.

There may/may not be a big 'quake in our lifetime, it may/may not be centered on Vancouver, we may/may not be badly affected by it. If it happens, it happens and we'll have to deal with it. Someone mentioned California and its ever rising population, but look at all the major subduction zones in the world. Billions of people live and function there. There are plenty of risks that we can control, so why worry too much about the ones we cannot?

I did notice in California that some people won't park under bridges, and leave gaps under subways in traffic line ups. But then, everyone knows the Californians are all a bit crazy.

We don't have a drill at work. When the last one struck we all just ran into the carpark. As we caught our breath we looked around and said "where's Erin?" She emerged a few moments later looking very red faced. It seems that at the moment the building started to shake she was in the washroom with her pants around her ankles. Being caring and compassionate employers we laughed. A lot.

Last edited by JonboyE; May 29th 2008 at 3:54 pm.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you appreciate the 'big one' last night?
Old May 29th 2008, 4:51 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs M x
Old May 29th 2008, 7:00 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Does the earthquake zone spread as far as Calgary?

I remember being told the schools have earthquake practices.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:18 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

I have my supply of water and non-perishable food but knowing my luck they would get buried the deepest
Old May 29th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

any problems with nova scotia area then for earth moving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.