Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Earning income from the UK

Earning income from the UK

Old May 1st 2009, 12:11 pm

plca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the rough
Default Earning income from the UK

Hi all,

I am landing in Calgary with my wife in June. My current UK employer has offered to keep me on for a time (months, possibly much longer). I am a shareholder and get paid by a combination of monthly salary (33%) and dividend (67%). I will not be working for any Canadian employer whilst my UK employer requires my services.

Could anyone tell me:-

1. What level of tax I would likely pay in Canada from UK earnings, and whether the salary part of my earnings would be classed as 'employed', 'self-employed', or 'other income'. Is CPP and EI payable in this situation?

2. Is it simpler for tax purposes to invoice my UK company on a monthly basis, instead of being an employee?

3. If I remain an employee, do I or my UK employer need to declare anything to the UK tax authorities, and what implications does this have for the P85 form?

4. Can anyone recommend a good tax accountant within Calgary that has experience of dealing with ex-pats?

Questions...questions... Any help on some or all of the above much appreciated.

Paul.
Old May 1st 2009, 3:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earning income from the UK

The search function is your friend.
Old May 1st 2009, 3:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plca
Hi all,

I am landing in Calgary with my wife in June. My current UK employer has offered to keep me on for a time (months, possibly much longer). I am a shareholder and get paid by a combination of monthly salary (33%) and dividend (67%). I will not be working for any Canadian employer whilst my UK employer requires my services.

Could anyone tell me:-

1. What level of tax I would likely pay in Canada from UK earnings, and whether the salary part of my earnings would be classed as 'employed', 'self-employed', or 'other income'. Is CPP and EI payable in this situation?
I can't tell you what level of tax you will pay as I don't know how much you will be earning. Federal income tax is progressive (ie the rates go up as you earn more). Alberta tax is flat rate. The top rate in AB is 39% and this is for incomes over $126,000. The employing company could open a payroll account with the CRA and withhold income tax and CPP (no EI as you are a shareholder). Otherwise you pay CPP when you file your tax return.

2. Is it simpler for tax purposes to invoice my UK company on a monthly basis, instead of being an employee?
Way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay simpler. And better.

3. If I remain an employee, do I or my UK employer need to declare anything to the UK tax authorities, and what implications does this have for the P85 form?
It is a matter of tax residency. I assume you will become tax resident in Canada from June. If so, you should send your P85 as normal.

4. Can anyone recommend a good tax accountant within Calgary that has experience of dealing with ex-pats?
I don't know any accountants in Calgary. Sorry.
Old May 1st 2009, 3:42 pm

plca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by R I C H
The search function is your friend.
Thanks RICH, I usually search the threads beforehand but I missed this one. Grendel's circumstances are almost identical apart from my dividend issue...
Old May 1st 2009, 3:50 pm

Cheers JonBoyE. With my company, I needn't worry too much about the top level of tax... and with only 6 employees, unless setting up the payroll account with the CRA is *really* simple my lot won't go for that.

Maybe invoicing them monthly is the way to go. I will be tax resident, but my employer is having trouble getting my end-of-year tax info together as our building burned down in February, so I don't quite know what to do about the P85 (I'll give the tax office a call).

Thanks !

P.
Old May 1st 2009, 5:04 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by plca
Cheers JonBoyE. With my company, I needn't worry too much about the top level of tax... and with only 6 employees, unless setting up the payroll account with the CRA is *really* simple my lot won't go for that.

Maybe invoicing them monthly is the way to go. I will be tax resident, but my employer is having trouble getting my end-of-year tax info together as our building burned down in February, so I don't quite know what to do about the P85 (I'll give the tax office a call).

Thanks !

P.
Why bother even invoicing them? You'll have seen on the other thread that I'm in a similar position. The company has never asked me for an invoice. It does consider me to be an employee but nobody else does.