Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DVD drive in G4 PowerBook?

Wikiposts

DVD drive in G4 PowerBook?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVD drive in G4 PowerBook?

Hi again all,

Sold our house last week and the buyer has solved the do-we-take-the-telly quandary for me as the TV is included as a condition of his purchase!

We mainly have R1 DVDs anyway but some of my favourites and most of the little one's DVDs are R2, the loss of our NTSC/PAL TV is a bummer in that regard. But I was thinking, it should be possible to play them through the PowerBook and just hook that up to the new Canadian TV we will buy.

But when you put in a different region DVD it says "This is a different region, you only have xxx more chances before it locks to such-and-such region". Arghhh!!!! Only a few chances left. It's obviously multi-region capable, can it not be made permanently multi-region? Any Mac experts know how to do this?

Biiiiink
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:24 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DVD drive in G4 PowerBook?

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi again all,

Sold our house last week and the buyer has solved the do-we-take-the-telly quandary for me as the TV is included as a condition of his purchase!

We mainly have R1 DVDs anyway but some of my favourites and most of the little one's DVDs are R2, the loss of our NTSC/PAL TV is a bummer in that regard. But I was thinking, it should be possible to play them through the PowerBook and just hook that up to the new Canadian TV we will buy.

But when you put in a different region DVD it says "This is a different region, you only have xxx more chances before it locks to such-and-such region". Arghhh!!!! Only a few chances left. It's obviously multi-region capable, can it not be made permanently multi-region? Any Mac experts know how to do this?

Biiiiink

The Mac expert here at work doesn't think it's possible, but he admits he could be wrong. What you need to do in theory, is flash the firmwire of the drive to be region free, but he's not sure that there is a region free version of the firmware available.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirTainly
The Mac expert here at work doesn't think it's possible, but he admits he could be wrong. What you need to do in theory, is flash the firmwire of the drive to be region free, but he's not sure that there is a region free version of the firmware available.
Hi Sir,

Thanks for asking - not what I want to hear but nonetheless! I suppose I could just lock the PowerBook on R2 but it's irritating that it's multi-region capable but has to lock after swapping such-and-such number of times. I just hope I manage to lock it on the right region. Boo to Apple. My first ever boo for Apple too

Biiiiink
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:08 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sir,

Thanks for asking - not what I want to hear but nonetheless! I suppose I could just lock the PowerBook on R2 but it's irritating that it's multi-region capable but has to lock after swapping such-and-such number of times. I just hope I manage to lock it on the right region. Boo to Apple. My first ever boo for Apple too

Biiiiink
i've heard it is possible to override this region locking, though obviously not legal, and will invalidate your warranty etc...
I've also tried to do this, but have had no such luck... will keep on trying though and pass on any useful info i get...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:20 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sir,

Biiiiink
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news I know this is a pretty easy to do task on a PC, it's just Apple's proprietary hardware making it difficult.