British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Duvets!! WTF?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/duvets-wtf-789974/)

Ailsa n Dave Mar 9th 2013 2:33 pm

Duvets!! WTF??

Ummm - OK landed a couple of days ago and are still finding our feet. We have a furnished rental home, but we wanted to get our own bedding... easy right? Um WRONG!!!

WTF is the deal with duvets here...? We just wanted a nice heavy maybe 13.5 tog king size...

But they only seam to have bed in a box sets with comforters? The comforter looks like a duvet that is patterned/precovered? and there was nothing we could see that indicated the weight!

Do you just buy a comforter and wash the whole thing in the giant size washing machine? Is there no normal white duvets, then you buy a cover?? They seam to do this for pillows, but not duvets??

Help from the experts please!!! :D

mandymoochops Mar 9th 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Duvets!! WTF??

course you can buy duvets and cover :confused: Comforters are (in our place anywho) - are mainly used in the summer.

Look at Bed Bath and Beyond, Jysk, even SuperWalmarts sell duvets. The covers seem to be pretty expensive compared to back in blighty though.

I like the comforter bed in bag sets - means I can change schemes on a whim :thumbup:

Also if you want a REALLY good warm duvet, find a Hutterite colony and buy a goose down one (they make them and are absolutely awesome - we have one of these :) )

MikeUK Mar 9th 2013 2:53 pm

Duvets can be found, you just need to look a little harder, Sear's had them I think
and you can get summer winter combo too

Reidies Mar 9th 2013 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave (Post 10593710)
Ummm - OK landed a couple of days ago and are still finding our feet. We have a furnished rental home, but we wanted to get our own bedding... easy right? Um WRONG!!!

WTF is the deal with duvets here...? We just wanted a nice heavy maybe 13.5 tog king size...

But they only seam to have bed in a box sets with comforters? The comforter looks like a duvet that is patterned/precovered? and there was nothing we could see that indicated the weight!

Do you just buy a comforter and wash the whole thing in the giant size washing machine? Is there no normal white duvets, then you buy a cover?? They seam to do this for pillows, but not duvets??

Yes you can buy duvets only. Although I brought ours over I did buy a summer one here. But it get so hot in the summer:D the duvet only gets used in the fall until December and for a few weeks in the Spring!

The4BellsLondon Mar 9th 2013 3:02 pm

Ikea, Walmart, Real Candian, Jysk, BBB

Not a difficult find.

Piff Poff Mar 9th 2013 3:14 pm

Ikea.

Siouxie Mar 9th 2013 3:26 pm

Don't forget that a King size here is larger than a King size in the UK - a Queen is the same size as a UK King :)

I have both 'white' duvets and comforters, use both in the winter and a comforter in the summer - the comforters get thrown into the washing machine, the duvets don't (unless they are synthetic).

Walmart Duvets don't have tog ratings, I usually unzip one corner of the bag and see how thick it is. There's a 'Super' Walmart at the corner of Upper James and Fennell at Mountain Plaza.

You can buy huttertute good goosedown duvets at http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?s...&keyword=duvet but they are expensive.

Ikea have various "warmth" ratings from 1-6.

:)

Novocastrian Mar 9th 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10593772)
a Queen is the same size as a UK King :)

:)

...and it only took you 60 years to figure that out. ;)

bats Mar 9th 2013 3:31 pm

I don't use our duvets now. We use a couple of down alternative blankets - they are lightweight quilts. I put a fleece throw on my side lf the bed when ita's winter. We've found that heating the house at night means the duvets were too hot, plus I hate wrestling with the covers.
Costco and Bed,Bath and Beyond have some and they varen't expensive.

Londonuck Mar 9th 2013 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave (Post 10593710)

Homesense and IKEA is where we got ours.

MillieF Mar 9th 2013 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10593779)
I don't use our duvets now. We use a couple of down alternative blankets - they are lightweight quilts. I put a fleece throw on my side lf the bed when ita's winter. We've found that heating the house at night means the duvets were too hot, plus I hate wrestling with the covers.
Costco and Bed,Bath and Beyond have some and they varen't expensive.

That's the same problem I have. Thinking 'Canada' I bought a nice 'all weather' duvet from IKEA before we left (my husband refused to let me buy the really warm one as he's always boiling hot) and most nights he huffs and puffs because he's too hot, and even I, who am normally glacial, get a bit hot.

adele Mar 9th 2013 6:47 pm

I have an Ikea duvet and bedlinen, no comforter for me!

Miss Clinique Mar 9th 2013 7:30 pm

I know Ikea have tog ratings.

I love the comforter in a bag thing, like MMC it allows me to change the colour scheme on a whim. I always buy coordinating top sheets that go on the bed, under the comforter, change the sheets weekly as normal that way the comforter is not in the wash every other week.

Oink Mar 9th 2013 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 10594095)
I know Ikea have tog ratings.

I love the comforter in a bag thing, like MMC it allows me to change the colour scheme on a whim. I always buy coordinating top sheets that go on the bed, under the comforter, change the sheets weekly as normal that way the comforter is not in the wash every other week.

Women ehh? :zzz:

Miss Clinique Mar 9th 2013 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10594097)
Women ehh? :zzz:

I know, keeps us happy though. ;)