Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Duty Free? What's your travel experience post 'relaxing' of carry on luggage etc

Wikiposts

Duty Free? What's your travel experience post 'relaxing' of carry on luggage etc

Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:57 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Duty Free? What's your travel experience post 'relaxing' of carry on luggage etc

Hi all

Did a thread about this a few weeks back about the new travel restrictions and got a lot of good informative feeback of flying/airport experiences.

Since then however, I have heard that the carry on luggage restrictions have been relaxed. From my understanding, the carry on luggage size has been increased and certain items are now being allowed.

My partner and I are due to fly out with KLM in about 10 days time from Manchester to Montreal (return flight) for a visit, I was hoping to purchase some duty free perfumes, he would prob like some duty free smokes and I would like to get some duty free booze as a gift to our hosts in Canada (my family).

If you've travelled to Canada recently can you please share your experiences with us? Would like the peace of mind of knowing what to expect when we leave as the last time we've flown to Canada was 2 years back. Cheers!
Old Sep 29th 2006, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Duty Free? What's your travel experience post 'relaxing' of carry on luggage etc

Originally Posted by Daedra
Hi all

Did a thread about this a few weeks back about the new travel restrictions and got a lot of good informative feeback of flying/airport experiences.

Since then however, I have heard that the carry on luggage restrictions have been relaxed. From my understanding, the carry on luggage size has been increased and certain items are now being allowed.

My partner and I are due to fly out with KLM in about 10 days time from Manchester to Montreal (return flight) for a visit, I was hoping to purchase some duty free perfumes, he would prob like some duty free smokes and I would like to get some duty free booze as a gift to our hosts in Canada (my family).

If you've travelled to Canada recently can you please share your experiences with us? Would like the peace of mind of knowing what to expect when we leave as the last time we've flown to Canada was 2 years back. Cheers!
Hi. We flew in on the 14th sept. Baggage size was restricted and they did ask us to put one of our bags in a box to check it was the correct size. from what i could see this was just a random pick as others in the queue ahead of us had larger carry on bags! my son the dope, did leave a bottle of water in his and that was confiscated along with a roll deodrant and cold sore cream that my daughter had in hers. we had to take our shoes off also. I was able to buy perfume in duty free and take that on the plane along with water with no problems. Did see a dad having to drink out of his little ones beaker in front of the person at the xray machines. I think the rules have relaxed a bit more since then but have not had time as yet to catch up on any english news!!
Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:18 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duty Free? What's your travel experience post 'relaxing' of carry on luggage etc

Thanks for sharing your experience Just curious, did you buy the perfume on your way to or back?
Old Sep 29th 2006, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I flew Toronto -> Manchester -> Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Leaving Canada there were no liquid/gel restrictions for carry on, so anything like that you would have to put in the checked baggage and hope it doesn't break. At that time there were no Duty Free stores open at Toronto Pearson. I think mostly because they fired everyone.

Coming back was like the previous poster said with carry on baggage being checked for size and liquids etc. However once through the security at Manchester you could purchase them freely. So I got a bottle of coke from a store and took it on the plane to drink no problems and I bought some duty free drinks and had no problems.

So you will porbably have no issues buying perfume *after* security and taking it on the plane. You might have problems buying some on the way back only because of stores still being closed in Canadian airports.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:11 am
Senile Member

Shameless bump
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:59 am
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

I believe from a colleague that at Manchester you are now allowed hand luggage and each airline will have either a box it should fit in or a total maximum dimension for the article/bag being used (maybe I should provide a link for this otherwise it may be construed as hearsay and not fact). No items aforementioned including creams or liquids maybe taken through security, everyone still has to remove shoes for examination, even flip flops (so no smelly feet please ) Officially after security you can buy and take on board anything at all on any flight except US Flights but don't know about Canada, could be North America in general that's more restrictive.

Coming into the UK again I have been told that Customs are using the situation as a good excuse to confiscate what they like so tobacco of any sort if not bought in the Airport duty frees has been confiscated (just in case it contains a bomb ) As a result cheap tobacco is in short supply so most of us are having to buy it in the shops for the first time in years and line the Chancellors pockets with Gold (or is that just hearsay !)
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:57 am
Senile Member

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
I believe from a colleague that at Manchester you are now allowed hand luggage and each airline will have either a box it should fit in or a total maximum dimension for the article/bag being used (maybe I should provide a link for this otherwise it may be construed as hearsay and not fact). No items aforementioned including creams or liquids maybe taken through security, everyone still has to remove shoes for examination, even flip flops (so no smelly feet please ) Officially after security you can buy and take on board anything at all on any flight except US Flights but don't know about Canada, could be North America in general that's more restrictive.

Coming into the UK again I have been told that Customs are using the situation as a good excuse to confiscate what they like so tobacco of any sort if not bought in the Airport duty frees has been confiscated (just in case it contains a bomb ) As a result cheap tobacco is in short supply so most of us are having to buy it in the shops for the first time in years and line the Chancellors pockets with Gold (or is that just hearsay !)
Oooh my partner won't be a happy bunny if his smokes get confiscated!!

What do smokers do in stop-overs if they're not allowed lighters or matches?? There must be alot of gagging people in withdrawl at international airports now.. Bet the price at the airports for match book and lighters have probably quadrupled... making a fortune off the addicts *lol*

Lucky for me I've cut back big time on smoking and limit it to about 3 a day with the help of NRT... wont be so bad for me on the flight, shudder to think how he'll be after 8 hours of commute
ing through airports and planes without a fag!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh my partner won't be a happy bunny if his smokes get confiscated!!

What do smokers do in stop-overs if they're not allowed lighters or matches?? There must be alot of gagging people in withdrawl at international airports now.. Bet the price at the airports for match book and lighters have probably quadrupled... making a fortune off the addicts *lol*

Lucky for me I've cut back big time on smoking and limit it to about 3 a day with the help of NRT... wont be so bad for me on the flight, shudder to think how he'll be after 8 hours of commute
ing through airports and planes without a fag!
We just booked our flights for Christmas, and I was wondering if we could take a portabLE dvd player on with us? I hate airline TV and im not a good flyer so i thought a portable DVD player and some Only Fools and Horses would keep my mind off things. Anyone know the restrictions on electricals?

Bloody terrorists apart from the horror they have caused, there a pain in the ass too!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Smoking is now banned everywhere in Canadian airports.

My recent experience at US airports, some of which are smoke-free, is that you have to keep going back and forth through security if you want to smoke (outside). It's not usually a problem getting a light. People leave lighters/matches next to the ashtrays.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:27 am
Senile Member

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
We just booked our flights for Christmas, and I was wondering if we could take a portabLE dvd player on with us? I hate airline TV and im not a good flyer so i thought a portable DVD player and some Only Fools and Horses would keep my mind off things. Anyone know the restrictions on electricals?

Bloody terrorists apart from the horror they have caused, there a pain in the ass too!!!
Not sure what the restrictions are now... I know about liquids but not sure about electronics. Back in 2004 I was allowed to bring my mp3 player & Palm pilot in my carry on but had to prove that both worked by turning it on & playing it for the security guards.

Think someone earlier has mentioned that for camera's you can bring them in your carry on so long as you can prove they work by taking photos & to leave atleast 2 photos on the role of film if its not digital.

Sorry I can't answer your question properly, hopefully someone else reads this and will be able to answer better
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:36 am
Senile Member

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Smoking is now banned everywhere in Canadian airports.

My recent experience at US airports, some of which are smoke-free, is that you have to keep going back and forth through security if you want to smoke (outside). It's not usually a problem getting a light. People leave lighters/matches next to the ashtrays.
Damn.. in 2004 there was a 'smoking' room past security for passengers waiting in MTL INTL must have changed it since then

About the USA airports, they were doing it since January 2001 when I had a stop over in LAX Los Angeles for 8 hours before my connecting flight to New Zealand took off... the most miserable experience ever in flying alone, no one to look after my heavy backpack & duty free bags, had to trudge past security and then wait in line to be checked again and again by security each time I wanted a smoke. Finally decided to hang out on the 'smokers bridge' for a few hours rather then go through their checkpoints over and over... was SO not impressed that I've since refused ANY flight with a stop over in the USA when travelling
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:58 am

Damn.. in 2004 there was a 'smoking' room past security for passengers waiting in MTL INTL must have changed it since then

About the USA airports, they were doing it since January 2001 when I had a stop over in LAX Los Angeles for 8 hours before my connecting flight to New Zealand took off... the most miserable experience ever in flying alone, no one to look after my heavy backpack & duty free bags, had to trudge past security and then wait in line to be checked again and again by security each time I wanted a smoke. Finally decided to hang out on the 'smokers bridge' for a few hours rather then go through their checkpoints over and over... was SO not impressed that I've since refused ANY flight with a stop over in the USA when travelling
It has changed. Earlier this year Quebec and Ontario introduced blanket bans on smoking in enclosed public places (the last provinces to do so).

On my recent trips to the US I have travelled only with hand baggage. That makes it a bit easier to nip outside but it's still a hassle. I don't check in nearly as early as I used to.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

It has changed. Earlier this year Quebec and Ontario introduced blanket bans on smoking in enclosed public places (the last provinces to do so).

On my recent trips to the US I have travelled only with hand baggage. That makes it a bit easier to nip outside but it's still a hassle. I don't check in nearly as early as I used to.
We flew out of Pearson in May after the ban here in ONtario, and we were able to smoke in a bar smoking room.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
We flew out of Pearson in May after the ban here in ONtario, and we were able to smoke in a bar smoking room.
The ban came into effect on May 31st.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:52 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

The ban came into effect on May 31st.

All I can say is, thank God I've quit smoking....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.