Reload this Page >

Due to emmigrate to Ontario shortly

Wikiposts

Due to emmigrate to Ontario shortly

Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:47 am
Just Joined

squeekyclean is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Due to emmigrate to Ontario shortly

Hello, our family is due to move to Ontario shortly. Specifically the area of Woodstock, Oxford/Brantford County? We have agreed a lease upon a house there on a horse boarding facilty (we have 2 horses travelling with us). We are very excited and a little bit aprehensive! Wished we'd found this forum a long time ago!!!
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Due to emmigrate to Ontario shortly

Originally Posted by squeekyclean
Hello, our family is due to move to Ontario shortly. Specifically the area of Woodstock, Oxford/Brantford County? We have agreed a lease upon a house there on a horse boarding facilty (we have 2 horses travelling with us). We are very excited and a little bit aprehensive! Wished we'd found this forum a long time ago!!!
hi, well better late than never, youve found it now. There are lots of people on here from ontario so sure there will be lots of welcomes to you.
I can understand you being apprehensive, but you only get one life so go for it. Good luck in your new life.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and Seasons Greetings.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:05 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hello from a horse boarding facility in BC
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Hello RICH, i realise you are in a different province but could you recommend a transport company? I have had two quotes that promice not to exceed £10,000 to transport both my mare and gelding door-to-door, including pre/post quarantine. One has made me feel very confident about the process and that they would be safe. Both have said my gelding who is 22 should travel just fine despite his age. Obviously every penny counts with such a huge move, but confidence in the company is of most importance to me. Thank you for your welcome... Squeeky
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has got information on companies and also on routing via the US to shorten quarantine, hope it helps
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply 'Biiink'. Had no idea there was another possible route via USA. neither company has mentioned this. Shall check it out. Most grateful.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:41 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Beautiful area, but you will get lots of snow, be prepared.

VERY Friendly communities.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

nagajara is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Beautiful area, but you will get lots of snow, be prepared.

VERY Friendly communities.
We moved to Brantford around 3 months ago. We were in Leons in Woodstock today!! If there is any info you would like, just let me know.

happy New Year
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:59 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hello RICH, i realise you are in a different province but could you recommend a transport company? I have had two quotes that promice not to exceed £10,000 to transport both my mare and gelding door-to-door, including pre/post quarantine. One has made me feel very confident about the process and that they would be safe. Both have said my gelding who is 22 should travel just fine despite his age. Obviously every penny counts with such a huge move, but confidence in the company is of most importance to me. Thank you for your welcome... Squeeky
I've never used a transport company from the UK, so the recommendations in the other thread you've been given a link to is the best starting point I can offer. I've friends and clients that have shipped horses from other parts of Europe, and 10K sounds very reasonable for 2 horses, door to door. Several have spent in excess of that for just one horse to BC.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Squeeky,

Seair just emailed me today and will be in touch shortly. They are Mississauga based.

I've started the Transporting HOrses wiki with a few links.

I also have been in touch with a girl in Ottawa who have flown in two horses from Ireland. The last one this year. She was told to use a US company, ship in to US as no pre-quarantine is required, and truck up to Ontario.

She wrote me this:
-----
Amsterdam to New York and from Amsterdam to Toronto 3
years later were roughly $6000 (Canadian). Then you have quarantine fees and
shipping fees. Shipping from Rock Island to Ottawa quotes ranged from $1200
to $2500.

The Costs for the quarantine at Rock Island are quoted on the following
website http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/userfees.html

You would expect the pre-export quarantine fees/travel etc to be included in
the roughly $6000 airfare.

When you bring the horse into Canada, BE CAREFUL. There are tax implications
to bringing horses into Canada - you may need to pay GST (5% as of Jan 1) on
the value of the horse. Be sure to discuss with your broker.

Also be aware of timing of travel and how it will affect your horse. I
assume your horse is used to the cold and snow, so that is a BIG plus. But I
am pretty sure he won't be used to our biting flies, and they are NASTY. Try
to get him over before June, so he can acclimate and get introduced to flies
slowly. This was a mistake I made with my gelding who suffered terribly when
he first arrived in late June. My mares arrived in early May and it made
all the difference.

-----

She's talking about mares and geldings. Mares and stallions need more testing and more quarantine than geldings.

I'm waiting for more info soon from several shipping agents.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much to YYZLover!
No one told me about the possibilty of bringing the horses via USA. I read it on a forum just recently. The reduced transport/quarantine times would be so much kinder to my two neddies. GST would not be an issue. My old guy is 22! Not worth a penny except to me. Fit to travel though, before anyone worries about my sanity. Any advice is really apreciated. Shall check out what you've said so far.
Squeeky
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much to YYZLover!
No one told me about the possibilty of bringing the horses via USA. I read it on a forum just recently. The reduced transport/quarantine times would be so much kinder to my two neddies. GST would not be an issue. My old guy is 22! Not worth a penny except to me. Fit to travel though, before anyone worries about my sanity. Any advice is really apreciated. Shall check out what you've said so far.
Squeeky
The girl who sent me that e-mail was actually told by seair to use other shipper and go in to USA instead as the dollar is down and the quarantine issues.

I've just found out that the Danish company airhorse have flights from Gothenburg to New York. Gothenburg is a hop, skip and a stone throw away from my boy's location.

My biggest worry is shipping tack. I won't ship big rugs but my grooming kit and my bridles and saddles would have to tag along.

I'm also trying to figure out if a horse goes in the list of goods to follow.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nagajara
We moved to Brantford around 3 months ago. We were in Leons in Woodstock today!! If there is any info you would like, just let me know.

happy New Year
Hello nagajara! We are moving to a house situated on a horse boarding facility in Burgessville. We shall be renting for a year there. Whats the place like? We have not been there. Saw the advert on the net. Got chatting via email and we sign contracts this week. Its the most ideal thing we could find to suit our needs (++animals)! The owners are so accommodating. Have you any idea about play groups etc for 3/4 year olds? We are so excited and overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done...
Squeeky
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

nagajara is on a distinguished road

Hello nagajara! We are moving to a house situated on a horse boarding facility in Burgessville. We shall be renting for a year there. Whats the place like? We have not been there. Saw the advert on the net. Got chatting via email and we sign contracts this week. Its the most ideal thing we could find to suit our needs (++animals)! The owners are so accommodating. Have you any idea about play groups etc for 3/4 year olds? We are so excited and overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done...
Squeeky

Hi Squeeky,

Haven't been to Burgessville - but will check it out for you if you wish!!!! As far as child care is concerened - both my kids are at school (9 & 12 yrs old) but there are child care providers all over. They will be old enough to start Kinddie & there is sometimes a provision there at the school! Perhaps you should see which school they would be going to. I could check that out also for you. Let me know if you would like any info. It may be once the schools go back next week, but I would be happy to help. PM me!!

Regards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.