Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dual UK / Canadian citizen stranded in Jamaica

Dual UK / Canadian citizen stranded in Jamaica

Old Feb 27th 2020, 10:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual UK / Canadian citizen stranded in Jamaica

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
if you fly BA terminal 5 ..is the best terminal in the world no queues easy to get in and out if arriving and departing.
T2 is similarly efficient. I always used to fly on two passports - checking in the my Canadian one but using the UK one to enter the UK. With advent of Canadian passports being able to be used in the e-gates last couple of times I traveled I left the British passport at home and just used my Canadian one. The e-gates have got busier as a consequence of expanding the number of countries that can use them, but are still pretty efficient.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 12:03 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
if you fly BA terminal 5 ..is the best terminal in the world no queues easy to get in and out if arriving and departing.
I've been there. It certainly isn't the best terminal in the world. Not even kind of close.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true. Two of the passports has EU. So no way to tell which one is his.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 12:51 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Given his age, and the "he gets confused" statement, his daughter should certainly have done due diligence, before even booking the flights, to check wether there are any rule changes. My itinerary for a trip to Jamaica states:
  • Correct travel documents are required. It's your responsibility to check your documents before you travel.
If this was before the rule change, then I'd have bit more sympathy, as I got clobbered years ago when coming back in to Canada for having Canadian citizenship but travelling on my UK passport - I didn't have a Canadian one at the time, CIC when I called told me I didn't need one, and just my UK passport would be ok to enter Canada on, even though I have dual citizenship (I know, who'd have thought they would know the answer ) - so a quick trip to secondary, and they said that having my citizenship certificate on me might have helped, or better still, get a Canadian passport. I did point out what I'd been told when called, and the agent agreed what I was told wasn't great advice.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 12:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Given his age, and the "he gets confused" statement, his daughter should certainly have done due diligence, before even booking the flights, to check wether there are any rule changes. My itinerary for a trip to Jamaica states:
  • Correct travel documents are required. It's your responsibility to check your documents before you travel.
If this was before the rule change, then I'd have bit more sympathy, as I got clobbered years ago when coming back in to Canada for having Canadian citizenship but travelling on my UK passport - I didn't have a Canadian one at the time, CIC when I called told me I didn't need one, and just my UK passport would be ok to enter Canada on, even though I have dual citizenship (I know, who'd have thought they would know the answer ) - so a quick trip to secondary, and they said that having my citizenship certificate on me might have helped, or better still, get a Canadian passport. I did point out what I'd been told when called, and the agent agreed what I was told wasn't great advice.
I think the difference is you still managed to fly there and as a Canadian citizen they can't legally refuse you once you arrive. They may have just been resting on that laurel. eTA has just made things more complicated in these scenarios since the airline need a white flag before you can even board a plane.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
T2 is similarly efficient. I always used to fly on two passports - checking in the my Canadian one but using the UK one to enter the UK. With advent of Canadian passports being able to be used in the e-gates last couple of times I traveled I left the British passport at home and just used my Canadian one. The e-gates have got busier as a consequence of expanding the number of countries that can use them, but are still pretty efficient.
As a Canadian you're still subject to immigration control in the UK. I'd still just use my UK one if I were you but that's just me.

I'll never not use a Canadian passport to enter Canada and i'll never not use a Maltese/EU passport to travel within Europe.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 12:46 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
As a Canadian you're still subject to immigration control in the UK. I'd still just use my UK one if I were you but that's just me.

I'll never not use a Canadian passport to enter Canada and i'll never not use a Maltese/EU passport to travel within Europe.
As a Canadian in the UK I am subject to immigration control but practically speaking if thats swiping my passport at an e-gate and having my picture taken then thats fine with me. UK Border Force has no knowledge or restriction of my activities once in the country. If post-Brexit restrictions are tightened for Canadian citizens then I'll revert to using my UK passport. Sadly thats no longer an EU passport so you have the advantage with your Mattese one. As for returning to Canada, dunno about Maltese pp's but you have to return on your Canadian one if a dual national UK citizen. You wont be allowed on the plane otherwise as the gentleman in Jamaica found out.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
As a Canadian in the UK I am subject to immigration control but practically speaking if thats swiping my passport at an e-gate and having my picture taken then thats fine with me. UK Border Force has no knowledge or restriction of my activities once in the country. If post-Brexit restrictions are tightened for Canadian citizens then I'll revert to using my UK passport. Sadly thats no longer an EU passport so you have the advantage with your Mattese one. As for returning to Canada, dunno about Maltese pp's but you have to return on your Canadian one if a dual national UK citizen. You wont be allowed on the plane otherwise as the gentleman in Jamaica found out.
Yes, that's why I said i'd never use the Maltese one in Canada - I simply wouldn't be able to...and it wouldn't make sense. When I enter on a Canadian PP I barely even get glanced at.

I wonder if in the future (post EU-offboarding procedures for the UK, around 2022 ish) it would be more advantageous to visit the UK on a Canadian passport instead of an EU one. When I went to the UK in the summer I used my EU pp, as obviously the UK was still part of the EU and freedom of movement is in effect until end 2020 I believe?

If the UK implements a system similar to ETIAS / ESTA / eTA then you probably will have to use your UK passport.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

catweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if in the future it would be more advantageous to visit the UK on a Canadian passport instead of an EU one.
Even with visa-free travel, it's usually advantageous to enter a country with a passport of that region (given friendly relations, of course), e.g.

When visiting the US, use your Canadian PP, not your British one.
When visiting Brazil, use your Uruguay PP, not your Luxembourg one.
Etc.

As to post-Brexit UK, no-one knows which foreign passport will be best. I don't think any developed country has ever tried to forcibly change its region before. An interesting experiment to watch - from a distance.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by catweazle
Even with visa-free travel, it's usually advantageous to enter a country with a passport of that region (given friendly relations, of course), e.g.

When visiting the US, use your Canadian PP, not your British one.
When visiting Brazil, use your Uruguay PP, not your Luxembourg one.
Etc.

As to post-Brexit UK, no-one knows which foreign passport will be best. I don't think any developed country has ever tried to forcibly change its region before. An interesting experiment to watch - from a distance.
Not necessarily. Until recently both my current and former partners could visit Turkey visa-free despite me requiring a visa. I travel under a UK passport and they had South East Asian and East Asian ones respectively. Turkey just dropped its via requirements for UKC's a few days ago in an effort to boost tourism and simplify border processes.

Ditto for when I visited Egypt last year. I needed a visa whereas my partner didn't and she has what most people would consider a far less desirable passport than I do.

TLDR: geographic region rarely has a huge amount to do with it.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

If the UK implements a system similar to ETIAS / ESTA / eTA then you probably will have to use your UK passport.
There's no if on that. It's happening. The current EVW program will be expanded to cover everyone except UK and Irish citizens.

Whether or not you can get one as a dual national is a different issue though. Unlike the US, Canada and Australia, the UK presently has no laws requiring its nationals to enter on a UK passport. Realistically there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to receive an EVW or its 2021 equivalent under your Canadian identity if that's all you have.

Of course, considering that the current EVW costs 50 quid for single entry, I'm not sure why you would.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

catweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond repute

Turkey and Egypt are interesting examples, because their own region is such a disaster.

Many of the world's countries are embedded within regional agreements, e.g. CARICOM, ECOWAS, MERCOSUR, NAFTA, ANZCERTA, etc. Using an in-region passport usually makes the most sense, if one has a choice.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So if I understand correctly dual USC-Canadian are exempt from needing to enter Canada on a Canadian Passport?

Ask because US requires USC to enter and exit the US on a US passport.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So if I understand correctly dual USC-Canadian are exempt from needing to enter Canada on a Canadian Passport?

Travelling to or transiting through Canada by air

Dual Canadian citizens need a valid Canadian passport to board a flight to or transit through Canada by air.

If your other country of citizenship needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure you carry both passports when you travel. Find out more about why you need to travel or transit through Canada with a valid Canadian passport to avoid delays and/or possible missed flights.

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

If you do not have a valid Canadian passport and are at an airport or flying to Canada in a few days, you may be able to apply for a Special Authorization.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

It's not about entering. You enter by right, passport or no passport, assuming that you can prove your identity at the border.

The issue is being able to board an international flight to Canada in the first place.

The main problem for many on this forum among others is that Canada will not issue an eTA to its own citizens so therefore you have no choice but to carry a Canadian passport if flying internationally unless you also happen to have US citizenship and that passport on you.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Mar 5th 2020 at 7:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.