Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dual national applying for British Passport renewal

Dual national applying for British Passport renewal

Old Jun 1st 2021, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Dual national applying for British Passport renewal

Not sure if this has occurred to anyone else... I have dual Canadian and British Citizenship. I'm renewing my British Passport, so filled the details in on line, and sent my expiring British passport to the UK. It took -ages- to get there, COVID related delays I guess. Now the Passport Agency in the UK have asked for my Canadian Passport or a colour photocopy of every page. They state that the Canadian Passport must show the exact same details as the UK passport, and if not I must get my Canadian passport changed. Luckily they do match, but I am pretty sure the last time I renewed it I didn't have to go through this.
So heads-up if you're renewing your British Passport soon and have different names between the two passports.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual national applying for British Passport renewal

Originally Posted by Snave
Not sure if this has occurred to anyone else... I have dual Canadian and British Citizenship. I'm renewing my British Passport, so filled the details in on line, and sent my expiring British passport to the UK. It took -ages- to get there, COVID related delays I guess. Now the Passport Agency in the UK have asked for my Canadian Passport or a colour photocopy of every page. They state that the Canadian Passport must show the exact same details as the UK passport, and if not I must get my Canadian passport changed. Luckily they do match, but I am pretty sure the last time I renewed it I didn't have to go through this.
So heads-up if you're renewing your British Passport soon and have different names between the two passports.
That's curious, as when I last renewed my U.K. passport (2012), & also my Aussie passport (2016), I don't recall being asked by either of those authorities to provide them with any copies of my Canadian details. Bureaucrats continue to expand their apparently God-given right to know everything about one; at some point they'll meet rebellious resistance from an otherwise & meanwhile politely compliant public.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The document checklist asks for copies of any other passport you might hold, when applying from overseas, https://www.gov.uk/government/public...uments-group-3
A full colour copy of any other uncancelled passports relating to you ②
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:28 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this has occurred to anyone else... I have dual Canadian and British Citizenship. I'm renewing my British Passport, so filled the details in on line, and sent my expiring British passport to the UK. It took -ages- to get there, COVID related delays I guess. Now the Passport Agency in the UK have asked for my Canadian Passport or a colour photocopy of every page.
I renewed in March/April and I sent the colour copy of every page - you are lucky they accept that as for a new UK passport for a child they want the original Canadian passport to be sent
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The document checklist asks for copies of any other passport you might hold, when applying from overseas, https://www.gov.uk/government/public...uments-group-3
Oh, wow, I hadn't seen that. OK, now I know !!!
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, wow, I hadn't seen that. OK, now I know !!!
When I renewed mine last October, they prompted me as to what to send in first text I received from them, saying they couldn’t start processing until all received - think it was a link to that info.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 11:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

why wouldn't the details match?
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 2:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
why wouldn't the details match?
Change of name by marriage, divorce, deed poll, usage, etc..
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 9:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Change of name by marriage, divorce, deed poll, usage, etc..
But you have to change your passport at the time of the change.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 10:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

But you have to change your passport at the time of the change.
You are supposed to but many don’t. It’s to prevent you travelling on your British passport with one identity and travelling on your foreign passport with another.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 12:23 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You are supposed to but many don’t. It’s to prevent you travelling on your British passport with one identity and travelling on your foreign passport with another.
Yes I realise all this.. The OP seems to be surprised to be asked about it and tgat it was down to pick that they matched. My mind was briefly boggled.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 12:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No legal requirement to change your name on marriage in Canada, you can retain your own name, assume theirs of combine.. so theoretically you could have different names on your UK and Canadian passports, if you haven't renewed your UK one.....
for example.. BC - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/l...hanges-of-name

Your Surname after Marriage

After marriage, you can choose to continue using your own surname (last name), or you can start using your spouse's surname. Assuming your spouse's surname does not constitute or require a legal change of name under the Name Act.
From the Name Act

Use of surnames on marriage

3 A spouse by marriage may

(a) use the surname he or she had immediately before the marriage,

(b) use the surname he or she had at birth or by adoption, or

(c) use the surname of his or her spouse by marriage.
The UK don't require a name change on marriage either.
https://www.ukdp.co.uk/name-change-marriage/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 4th 2021 at 12:42 am.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 2:14 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
No legal requirement to change your name on marriage in Canada, you can retain your own name, assume theirs of combine.. so theoretically you could have different names on your UK and Canadian passports, if you haven't renewed your UK one.....
for example.. BC - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/l...hanges-of-name

From the Name Act

The UK don't require a name change on marriage either.
https://www.ukdp.co.uk/name-change-marriage/
surely the question is which countries allow dual (or more) citizens to hold a passport in names that differ from passports of the other citizenship.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

surely the question is which countries allow dual (or more) citizens to hold a passport in names that differ from passports of the other citizenship.
I imagine she's let two of the passports lapse but, at one time, my ex-wife had three passports in three different names. Original surname, married, hyphenated. I doubt my children have kept up their Canadian or British passports but, if they have, they have a common name while their Swiss ones have another. If the daughter married to an Italian has an Italian passport (unlikely but possible) that will likely be in a third name. This must happen all the time, one acquires documentation in one's name at the time, lesser documents, such as driving licenses, must be a right tangle.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I imagine she's let two of the passports lapse but, at one time, my ex-wife had three passports in three different names. Original surname, married, hyphenated. I doubt my children have kept up their Canadian or British passports but, if they have, they have a common name while their Swiss ones have another. If the daughter married to an Italian has an Italian passport (unlikely but possible) that will likely be in a third name. This must happen all the time, one acquires documentation in one's name at the time, lesser documents, such as driving licenses, must be a right tangle.
I held Australian and UK passports with different surnames when I was getting divorced. I asked the Aussies when I went for citizenship if they could grant it in my maiden name, not the married name on my UK passport as I was getting divorced, and they were happy to do so, and said there are no laws about it. As long as the passport is issued in a legally acceptable name for the person, you can use whichever you like - maiden, married or previously married.
Problem comes when travelling as all tickets must match the passport in use - so if like Australia, the country rules that you must enter & leave on their passport, you will have to use that name, and that passport, throughout the whole trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.