Reload this Page >

Dual British/Canadian citizen considering moving back to Canada

Dual British/Canadian citizen considering moving back to Canada

Old Jan 1st 2020, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

LisaDott is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Dual British/Canadian citizen considering moving back to Canada

Hello,
Firstly, I really appreciate any help or advice anyone has in answering my query. Sometimes the idea of moving back to Canada can feel daunting and I have read a lot of similar questions to the one I'm asking today. Some of my opinion of what I'm about to talk about I've found out from living there and some is from what I've been reading online, however, I would love to hear about any real examples of people who've managed to emigrate themselves.

I was born in the UK and moved to Toronto at age 29 for 3 years, then back to the UK, then back to Toronto again at age 34 for another three years. I am currently back in the UK but am just so disappointed with the state of politics and all that that involves right now. I don't envisage things getting any better any time soon for a lot of people here.

I have a Canadian passport and so the idea of moving back to Canada has always appealed as, to be honest, it feels more like home there than the UK ever has. What concerns me is my age now. I am soon to be 42, so whilst I don't need to worry about scoring points to move there, I am concerned about finding full-time work. I am currently a delivery support manager at UKRI but was a freelance Illustrator whilst living in Toronto. I would be looking for a full-time position if I went back - most likely office based in a company I could progress in. I have heard a lot of times that Canadian experience is favoured over overseas work experience, and, to be honest, I definitely found this to be the case back in 2008 when the financial crash happened - I could not get a job at all - though I imagine, many others couldn't either. In the end, I had to return to the UK. I am single and don't have a mortgage yet but am considering where I want to base myself in the next couple of years in order to buy a property.

Has there been anyone who has moved over to Canada in their 40's and has managed to find something quite quickly? Where were you based and did you make a decision about where to move to for more job opportunities? I am considering Halifax rather than Toronto this time, just simply because of the price of housing now in TO and Vancouver, but then I've heard there aren't as many jobs in Halifax. Does anyone live there and how is the employment market at the moment? Did you put any feelers out for positions before emigrating? I am due to visit Halifax in May and am considering going to the recruitment agencies to see if they can offer any advice/help. I have friends and some family in Halifax too.

Once again, thank you for your help and I truly appreciate this amazing resource of info here!
Lisa
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual British/Canadian citizen considering moving back to Canada

Originally Posted by LisaDott
Hello,
Firstly, I really appreciate any help or advice anyone has in answering my query. Sometimes the idea of moving back to Canada can feel daunting and I have read a lot of similar questions to the one I'm asking today. Some of my opinion of what I'm about to talk about I've found out from living there and some is from what I've been reading online, however, I would love to hear about any real examples of people who've managed to emigrate themselves.

I was born in the UK and moved to Toronto at age 29 for 3 years, then back to the UK, then back to Toronto again at age 34 for another three years. I am currently back in the UK but am just so disappointed with the state of politics and all that that involves right now. I don't envisage things getting any better any time soon for a lot of people here.

I have a Canadian passport and so the idea of moving back to Canada has always appealed as, to be honest, it feels more like home there than the UK ever has. What concerns me is my age now. I am soon to be 42, so whilst I don't need to worry about scoring points to move there, I am concerned about finding full-time work. I am currently a delivery support manager at UKRI but was a freelance Illustrator whilst living in Toronto. I would be looking for a full-time position if I went back - most likely office based in a company I could progress in. I have heard a lot of times that Canadian experience is favoured over overseas work experience, and, to be honest, I definitely found this to be the case back in 2008 when the financial crash happened - I could not get a job at all - though I imagine, many others couldn't either. In the end, I had to return to the UK. I am single and don't have a mortgage yet but am considering where I want to base myself in the next couple of years in order to buy a property.

Has there been anyone who has moved over to Canada in their 40's and has managed to find something quite quickly? Where were you based and did you make a decision about where to move to for more job opportunities? I am considering Halifax rather than Toronto this time, just simply because of the price of housing now in TO and Vancouver, but then I've heard there aren't as many jobs in Halifax. Does anyone live there and how is the employment market at the moment? Did you put any feelers out for positions before emigrating? I am due to visit Halifax in May and am considering going to the recruitment agencies to see if they can offer any advice/help. I have friends and some family in Halifax too.

Once again, thank you for your help and I truly appreciate this amazing resource of info here!
Lisa
I’ve lived close to both. I don’t think you can base a decision solely on house prices. It depends what you’re looking for in life.

i felt that when I lived in NS that my options were limited. When we left five years ago hubby and I agreed that NS would be an amazing place to retire to. We were just not ready to remain there in our late 40s.

We now live in Hamilton ON. It’s close enough to Toronto that we can enjoy a night out there. The city we live in is still larger than Halifax so has all the amenities we need.

We are building three businesses here in ON which would have been a huge struggle to do in NS.

So as much as I really love NS and it’s welcoming people it was not really for us and ON is a much better fit. It’s a lot closer, although still very different, to life in the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in 2018 and I managed to find a job in Toronto fairly quickly. I was in my mid 50s when we moved to Canada. There are definitely more job opportunities in Toronto, but there is also a l lot of competition. The Big banks are starting to cut back. Rental and property prices are crazy costing $2500 for a single apt and over $3000 for a 2 bed place. If you are looking to Buy a property you may struggle in the GTA at the moment. If you are sick of the politics in the UK, you will find the same problems here on Ontario. Doug Ford is doing everything to rub the average local up the wrong way. I would focus on getting the job you like first, then the location will take care of itself.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of people "ping pong" and there isn't anything wrong with that. But I would make sure there is another reason for the move besides politics. Conservatives win elections in Canada too. Are you going to want to move back to the UK when that happens? What if they both have a Conservative government? Part of being able to enjoy the benefits of living in a democracy is being able to accept it when the other side is the majority. That applies in Canada as well as the UK. Trudeau lost his majority at the last election and may well lose outright at the next one. Canadians are just as diverse in their political beliefs as Brits are, and the country is by no means as left-wing as the media often portrays.

For your Toronto vs Halifax question, agree with the others prospects are significantly better in Toronto however you have a support network in Halifax of friends and family. Have you tapped into that for employment leads, and what have they told you?
Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DandNHill

I’ve lived close to both. I don’t think you can base a decision solely on house prices. It depends what you’re looking for in life.

i felt that when I lived in NS that my options were limited. When we left five years ago hubby and I agreed that NS would be an amazing place to retire to. We were just not ready to remain there in our late 40s.

We now live in Hamilton ON. It’s close enough to Toronto that we can enjoy a night out there. The city we live in is still larger than Halifax so has all the amenities we need.

We are building three businesses here in ON which would have been a huge struggle to do in NS.

So as much as I really love NS and it’s welcoming people it was not really for us and ON is a much better fit. It’s a lot closer, although still very different, to life in the UK.
Thank you for your message - I appreciate it. Can I ask what ages you were when you moved to Canada? I'm happy you have found Hamilton to be a good place for you and your businesses. Being close to Toronto is always a good thing. Was it always your intention to start a business in Canada?
Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glendem4
We arrived in 2018 and I managed to find a job in Toronto fairly quickly. I was in my mid 50s when we moved to Canada. There are definitely more job opportunities in Toronto, but there is also a l lot of competition. The Big banks are starting to cut back. Rental and property prices are crazy costing $2500 for a single apt and over $3000 for a 2 bed place. If you are looking to Buy a property you may struggle in the GTA at the moment. If you are sick of the politics in the UK, you will find the same problems here on Ontario. Doug Ford is doing everything to rub the average local up the wrong way. I would focus on getting the job you like first, then the location will take care of itself.
Hello, thank you for your message. I agree with you - politics shouldn't be the driving force in my decision - I guess I just feel a bit raw at the moment with everything that's going on. I know Canada has it's fair share of issues too... Can I ask what made you decide to move to Canada at the age you did? I'm glad you were able to find work so quickly. Was it through networking that you found something? I agree about the property prices. It was one of the reasons I left because I felt I could never afford something myself there. It's such a shame because it really wasn't that bad only a few years ago.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
Plenty of people "ping pong" and there isn't anything wrong with that. But I would make sure there is another reason for the move besides politics. Conservatives win elections in Canada too. Are you going to want to move back to the UK when that happens? What if they both have a Conservative government? Part of being able to enjoy the benefits of living in a democracy is being able to accept it when the other side is the majority. That applies in Canada as well as the UK. Trudeau lost his majority at the last election and may well lose outright at the next one. Canadians are just as diverse in their political beliefs as Brits are, and the country is by no means as left-wing as the media often portrays.

For your Toronto vs Halifax question, agree with the others prospects are significantly better in Toronto however you have a support network in Halifax of friends and family. Have you tapped into that for employment leads, and what have they told you?
Hi there, thank you for your message. Reading my message makes me realise how raw I'm feeling about the politics in this country - I realise it's no reason to move country on it's own! I think I'm just sore about having my dreams of retiring to Spain thwarted somewhat...

Yes, I do have family and friends I can ask about opportunities as I do in Toronto too - I intend to put some serious feelers out when I get there later in the summer. I have heard it's who you know a lot of the time. Whereabouts are you based and what made you move there?
Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any EU ancestry? Grandparent born on the island of Ireland? That could get you an EU passport, and closer to retiring in Spain
Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm just sore about having my dreams of retiring to Spain thwarted somewhat...
Ha, that's what I was aiming for. Had it all planned...was going to start learning Spanish in my mid 40s and then cash in on the equity in my house and move around age 52 and live on my civil service pension - albeit somewhat reduced - and capital to fall back on if needed.

Then I met a Canadian woman, married and moved to Canada aged 47 instead.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ha, that's what I was aiming for. Had it all planned...was going to start learning Spanish in my mid 40s and then cash in on the equity in my house and move around age 52 and live on my civil service pension - albeit somewhat reduced - and capital to fall back on if needed.

Costa del Crime or the Moncton Riviera...hmm,, I know which one I would choose

https://goo.gl/maps/81MRMfUAUfcPAY7T6
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your message - I appreciate it. Can I ask what ages you were when you moved to Canada? I'm happy you have found Hamilton to be a good place for you and your businesses. Being close to Toronto is always a good thing. Was it always your intention to start a business in Canada?
We were 44 and 47. When we initially moved to NS it was supposed to be a permanent move...
As far as setting up a business I think I was always destined to do so. It has been tough but we’re nearly two years in and things are really starting to take shape nicely.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Dual British/Canadian citizen considering moving back to Canada

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Wow! That's so awesome! How are you finding it compared to the UK? Is there anything you miss or did it feel like home straight away?
Old Jan 11th 2020, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Dual British/Canadian citizen considering moving back to Canada

Originally Posted by Gozit
Do you have any EU ancestry? Grandparent born on the island of Ireland? That could get you an EU passport, and closer to retiring in Spain
Sadly no. I'm quite jealous of people who can. I feel lucky I have my Canadian passport really or would be feeling really rubbish. I'm holding onto it for dear life!
Old Jan 11th 2020, 9:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That's so awesome! How are you finding it compared to the UK? Is there anything you miss or did it feel like home straight away?
Like a duck to water. My wife had her own kids and already lived over here - in Montreal - so it was just me settling in.
My biggest miss? Minor stuff like a good variety of cook-in sauce (or mixes), joined up thinking in government departments, British Chinese food rather than Canadian Chinese food

Still consider myself a Brit with no interest in citizenship, but crazily happy that I don't have to live in Brexit Britain with all that entails at the moment.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 10:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly no. I'm quite jealous of people who can. I feel lucky I have my Canadian passport really or would be feeling really rubbish. I'm holding onto it for dear life!
But leaving the EU doesn't mean you can't still move to Spain. If that's still your number 1 destination, then ask on the Spanish section of the forum where the good folks there will be able to help you work out the residency rules etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.