Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

drunken british streotypes

drunken british streotypes

Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:21 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: drunken british streotypes

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not too sure about the other two though.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

It may be just me, but Canadian beer just doesn't seem to have the same effect. I mean, I'll feel perfectly okay after 6 or 7 bottles of the stuff - in complete control of my faculties and limbs (but will still have the sense not to get behind the wheel of a car). Any more than 6 or 7 bottles though and I'll have a sore head the next morning. If anything, I feel a bit short-changed by that. All that beer without getting even slightly tipsy?! Bah!

I've started drinking the Eastern European stuff that my local LCBO stocks now not only because I can get reasonably hammered and it doesn't give me a hangover, which being British and drinking to excess I would be rather prone to experience, but also because it has flavour.

The Northern European attitude to drinking seems to genuinely shock Canadians who view even moderate drunkeness with horror and revulsion yet have no problem tolerating a grow-op on the other side of their street.

I always remember some of my mother-in-laws' first words to me when I first met her and had the audacity to open a second beer in her presence: "Drink a lot of beer, dontcha?"
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:36 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm one of those drunken British STEREOTYPES - at least I can spell it!!!@!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:04 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Before we moved to Canada Souvette "warned" me that Canadians don't drink much. I have not found this to be the case. My local gas station stocks more beer than most supermarkets. I think it's more common for people to drink at home, rather than go pubbing.

I haven't seen much evidence of drunken yobs but drunk-driving is rife. In Oakville I could have given the police the names of about ten blokes, all from the same pub, who could have been done for DWI pretty much any day of the week.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:30 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Souvenir, as you know in Oakville there is no Beer at the Gas Station, that is a Quebec thing.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I haven't seen much evidence of drunken yobs but drunk-driving is rife. In Oakville I could have given the police the names of about ten blokes, all from the same pub, who could have been done for DWI pretty much any day of the week.

Drunk driving is pretty much inevitable if you live in a suburb. That's one reason I think it unfortunate that people who have children live out there, at least mine could get a taxi or streetcar after their sordid experimentation.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Souvenir, as you know in Oakville there is no Beer at the Gas Station, that is a Quebec thing.
We're pretty civilised up here.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We're pretty civilised up here.
We have beer at the gas station but it's piss, Molson or Labatt only, you have to go to the LCBO for a better choice.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
Drunk driving is pretty much inevitable if you live in a suburb. That's one reason I think it unfortunate that people who have children live out there, at least mine could get a taxi or streetcar after their sordid experimentation.
These guys amazed me though. They were all self-employed and wholly dependent upon their wheels (most lived outside Oakville). During the RIDE programme they didn't stop drunk driving; they just compared notes on the best routes to use in avoiding the roadblocks. Utterly insane.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

These guys amazed me though. They were all self-employed and wholly dependent upon their wheels (most lived outside Oakville). During the RIDE programme they didn't stop drunk driving; they just compared notes on the best routes to use in avoiding the roadblocks. Utterly insane.
A popular pastime in the Outback used to be trying to hit telegraph poles/mileposts, etc., with empty stubbies, to pass the time and so on. Not sure if this still goes on. Sure it does.

Because of all the cameras and surveillance and everything being so squashed together in the UK, it's much more likely you'll get caught if you drink and drive than in 1000s of kms into the Yukon or Simpson, etc. This is probably why the Brits appear to be so much better behaved when it comes to boozing and croozing at the same time.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tableland
A popular pastime in the Outback used to be trying to hit telegraph poles/mileposts, etc., with empty stubbies, to pass the time and so on. Not sure if this still goes on. Sure it does.
Something similar happens here. We went dog walking with a neighbour who asked us if we collect cans. A bit baffled we said no. He brought along a sack to collect the cans that had been thrown at posts and had fallen on the side of the road; they're worth five cents each at the Beer Store.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:04 pm

Something similar happens here. We went dog walking with a neighbour who asked us if we collect cans. A bit baffled we said no. He brought along a sack to collect the cans that had been thrown at posts and had fallen on the side of the road; they're worth five cents each at the Beer Store.
20 cents for the tall ones. Apparently.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

20 cents for the tall ones. Apparently.
I had $18.90 worth of Fullers cans and wine bottles last time. I said to the Beer Store woman "I've gotta start bringing them in more than a couple of times a week". She wasn't amused.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:15 pm

I had $18.90 worth of Fullers cans and wine bottles last time. I said to the Beer Store woman "I've gotta start bringing them in more than a couple of times a week". She wasn't amused.
LOL.

Since when did wine bottles have deposits?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

LOL.

Since when did wine bottles have deposits?
A while back. Six months maybe. You take them in to the Beer Store. Apparently that was a problem at first because Canadians who have tried wine aren't the sort of Canadians who go into the Beer Store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.