Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Drug addiction in the UK

Drug addiction in the UK

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drug addiction in the UK

What has become of the UK. And why?

More cocaine is taken in the UK than in almost every other European Union (EU) country, a study has found.

Almost 5% of young people in England and Wales have tried the drug in the last year, while use among all adults has almost tripled in the past decade.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6177098.stm
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:30 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drug addiction in the UK

Originally Posted by montreal mike

More cocaine is taken in the UK than in almost every other European Union (EU) country, a study has found.

Almost 5% of young people in England and Wales have tried the drug in the last year, while use among all adults has almost tripled in the past decade.

It's not just the UK.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/pubs/...l#public_youth

If you are bored. The UK does pretty well by comparison to here and the States as it goes. Cocaine is nearly as cheap as meth some days, depends on the activity on the street and whether you have a dealer who will front you stuff when the new shipments are distributed . My caseload fluctuates between coke and meth addicts; both groups also use marijuana more than alcohol and almost all have a concurrent disorder. The UK is tame by comparison to the drug problems here.

Last edited by dingbat; Nov 24th 2006 at 1:33 am.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:29 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
The UK is tame by comparison to the drug problems here.
I concur...meth is the devil's own shroud of misery....
UK is so far shielded from meth...a nasty, cheap, coarse, bitter, destructive personality-destroying infestation cast upon humanity. The chemical toxins destroy the skin, tissues, nerves everything. All that is left is skeleton, nothing inside. The poisons seep out of the skin causing severe pain, and users suck the pus that emenates from them in desperation of their addiction being served. The mind is destroyed, no thoughts or anything left, great gaping holes in the brain tissue form, and death would ultimately be a relief. These were once people.....now are zombies.

Hard drugs r kewl innit.

Rich.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,
You must spend hours trawling the net for these articles you keep posting.

I have to say that i am fortunate enough not to know anyone who is into drugs and i have never been tempted myself but you do worry about your kids getting in with the wrong sort and taking stuff.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Mike,
You must spend hours trawling the net for these articles you keep posting.
Actually I get most of my news from the BBC and the timesonline. I like these sites as they are reliable credible sources.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:32 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually I get most of my news from the BBC and the timesonline. I like these sites as they are reliable credible sources.

Mike your ever so funny
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by buzz365
Mike your ever so funny
Maybe inadvertently so. If one can't trust these aforementioned sources then who can one rely upon?
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:10 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe inadvertently so. If one can't trust these aforementioned sources then who can one rely upon?
NO ONE... they are all out to get us!! :scared:
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:52 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

mike this is a huge issue, which i have previously wrote about whilst working for the home office in a training capacity for the police. needless to say i can't do it justice on here. as short as i can.
the social acceptance and tolerance of drugs in the last 25yrs has changed. affected by media, supply, increased income, to name a few. this has lead to a new generation treating cannabis as we might have done tobacco in the 70's. other social classes are no longer scared or stigmatised with regard to cocaine or heroin use. the realisation is that some drug use is maintainable, income permitting, and when taken in moderation offer no long term effect.
added at request of holly 6yrs interupting me and telling me to get off. please don't ask me (you know who) for links, these points are readily defined in HMIC, Home office reports, CIVITAS ect.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
It's not just the UK.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/pubs/...l#public_youth

If you are bored. The UK does pretty well by comparison to here and the States as it goes. Cocaine is nearly as cheap as meth some days, depends on the activity on the street and whether you have a dealer who will front you stuff when the new shipments are distributed . My caseload fluctuates between coke and meth addicts; both groups also use marijuana more than alcohol and almost all have a concurrent disorder. The UK is tame by comparison to the drug problems here.
the local highschool here in kitchener was on the news for kids turning up to classes off their heads. They interviewed some kids who said they could easily buys drugs at school, infact they even had a dedicated smoking room at the school!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (when I was at school you would have been shot if you were found smoking in your school uniform!)

We also went to a club in Toronto a couple of months ago and I have never seen as many people off their heads before!

drug culture is widespread and is becoming the norm nowadays.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Crystal meth is getting mentioned with increasing frequency here in the UK; whilst we may have been sheltered from it for a while, it looks like those times are coming to an end. I gather it's cheap for the pushers to produce/acquire and thus offers good margins compared to other hard drugs.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
the realisation is that some drug use is maintainable, income permitting, and when taken in moderation offer no long term effect.
Which makes the Home Office's "War on Drugs" not just stupidly ineffective, but immoral too.

K.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

drugs are a big problem here too. cannabis is readily available and apparently cheap too. marijuana grow-ops are increasingly common. at any time in calgary there are approximately 600 grow-ops. our neighbours got busted recently - same thing happened to a friend of mine and another friend had drug-dealers next door. not trying to be alarmist but the reality is that these busts are not always reported on the news.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well thanks to all of you for your responses so far. I had no idea the problem was that that bad in parts of Canada also. I consider myself an 'average Joe' and I don't ever recall coming across drug cases or addicts. So I must live a pretty humdrum life -- for which I am grateful.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Well thanks to all of you for your responses so far. I had no idea the problem was that that bad in parts of Canada also. I consider myself an 'average Joe' and I don't ever recall coming across drug cases or addicts. So I must live a pretty humdrum life -- for which I am grateful.
That seems to be true in that there are those of us that haven't really witnessed it to any great extent. We read about it, we see documentarys about it and we may know of people who have been affected by it but it is difficult to appreciate the extent of the problem when you are not directly affected by it personally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.