Reload this Page >

Driving years of experience - exchanging UK to Canadian driving licence

Driving years of experience - exchanging UK to Canadian driving licence

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

LeesaRouz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving years of experience - exchanging UK to Canadian driving licence

Hi,

I have recently moved from the UK to Toronto and have 11 years of driving experience in the UK.

I am aware that I can exchange my UK driving license to a Canadian one, but I am unclear on whether they will count the 11 years of driving. If they do count it - do I still need a 'Letter of Authentication' from DVLA or is the back of my pink drivers license enough, as it shows the date from when I first started driving?

Thank you!
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving years of experience - exchanging UK to Canadian driving licence

Originally Posted by LeesaRouz
Hi,

I have recently moved from the UK to Toronto and have 11 years of driving experience in the UK.

I am aware that I can exchange my UK driving license to a Canadian one, but I am unclear on whether they will count the 11 years of driving. If they do count it - do I still need a 'Letter of Authentication' from DVLA or is the back of my pink drivers license enough, as it shows the date from when I first started driving?

Thank you!
I think you do need a letter but you can always pop into Service Ontario to double check. They must have changed it as when I did it the license sufficed.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...ence#section-1

If your vision is naff like mine remember to take your glasses or contacts as they will give you an eye test.

Also try and do some research as some of the Service Ontario DriveTest places have ridiculous lines.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 3rd 2018 at 10:37 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving years of experience - exchanging UK to Canadian driving licence

Hi,

Thank you!
Have a read of the wiki on this subject here - lots there about converting your licence in Ontario.

No, you don't need anything 'letter of experience' as Services Ontario can see how long you have had your licence from the 'start date' on the UK form. Note that Services Ontario do not 'give you credit' as such, all they care is that you have been driving for at least 2 years. The start date of your Canadian licence will be the date they exchange your licence.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Williamspost is an unknown quantity at this point

I foolishly had a Drink Drive conviction over 15 years ago in the UK (I was very young, just past my test and drove friends home after watching the football one night only and have always deeply regretted doing it.).

When I am in Canada will that still show up on my licence and do I declare it still?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 2:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Williamspost
I foolishly had a Drink Drive conviction over 15 years ago in the UK (I was very young, just past my test and drove friends home after watching the football one night only and have always deeply regretted doing it.).

When I am in Canada will that still show up on my licence and do I declare it still?
DUI is a criminal conviction, for some it could impact their admissibility to Canada. To be deemed rehabilitated 10 years must have passed since the end of the sentence. If asked, criminal convictions should be reported to immigration on entry. DUI can affect anyone going into the US, sometimes for life. I have a friend with a 30 year old DUI who cannot go into or fly over the US.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

That has really brought me down with a bump! I was part hoping for a fresh start with a new driving licence. I was planning (in my daydreams) to be a regular at the rainbow bridge crossing doing my summer road trips into the US.

Can't blame them for wanting to keep the roads safe - I shouldn't have done it... My own stupid fault.

Thanks aviator for your post

Certainly brought it home about my licence.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Williamspost
That has really brought me down with a bump! I was part hoping for a fresh start with a new driving licence. I was planning (in my daydreams) to be a regular at the rainbow bridge crossing doing my summer road trips into the US.

Can't blame them for wanting to keep the roads safe - I shouldn't have done it... My own stupid fault.

Thanks aviator for your post

Certainly brought it home about my licence.
Insurance companies ask about convictions too.
An older DUI may not impact entry to the US if this is the only conviction.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Got it... no getting away from the past. Not complaining - good to know.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you!
you don't need any letter. Just take your license with paper part and they exchange to a full one.

Insurance company usually ask about the past 10 years of any offence I believe.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 2:51 pm

DUI can quadruple insurance premiums
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle19100767/

https://www.ratelab.ca/rates-after-dui/

Now we just need the same for distracted driving!
Old Apr 7th 2018, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

LeesaRouz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Have a read of the wiki on this subject here - lots there about converting your licence in Ontario.

No, you don't need anything 'letter of experience' as Services Ontario can see how long you have had your licence from the 'start date' on the UK form. Note that Services Ontario do not 'give you credit' as such, all they care is that you have been driving for at least 2 years. The start date of your Canadian licence will be the date they exchange your licence.
Thanks so much for all your replies! For car insurance purposes, since I have been driving for at least 2 years, do Service Ontario not put anywhere on their system my years of driving experience?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:07 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all your replies! For car insurance purposes, since I have been driving for at least 2 years, do Service Ontario not put anywhere on their system my years of driving experience?
Car insurance?

You have zero years experience driving in Canada and your insurer will start you off on that basis.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by JamesM
Car insurance?

You have zero years experience driving in Canada and your insurer will start you off on that basis.
Is ON auto insurance all private? The OP may be able to claim a claims free discount with the appropriate documentation. In BC the optional private insurers require 10 year North American driving experience.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Is ON auto insurance all private? The OP may be able to claim a claims free discount with the appropriate documentation. In BC the optional private insurers require 10 year North American driving experience.
Insurance companies for the most part are not interested in U.K. driving experience but the OP should get a quote from Johnson’s as they are good for newbies.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Insurance companies for the most part are not interested in U.K. driving experience but the OP should get a quote from Johnson’s as they are good for newbies.
In BC, ICBC will accept no claims history, so long as it is written in a specific format. Gone are the days you can claim a discount over the phone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.