Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Vancouver

Driving in Vancouver

Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Vancouver

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
the cars were 2 audi's, 1 lexus? and 3 BMW all brand new looking and bigger cars, agressive drivers taking chances either speeding, over/undertaking and cutting in. all but one flew past us on the highway and when they got caught in traffic and we caught up with them they were all as he predicted, young males, no seatbelts, using mobiles, no eye contact/recognition of anyone else on the road even when they'd cut them up they either didnt care or were oblivious they'd caused issue, no clear indication on registration plates that they had insurance in place....just an observation that he was correct on every occasion in his summing up of who the driver would be.
Perhaps he was taking clues from the driving style rather than the vehicle. It seems difficult to consistently generalise based on the model of car.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:12 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Perhaps he was taking clues from the driving style rather than the vehicle. It seems difficult to consistently generalise based on the model of car.
Oh! I don't know.. you should see us Jeep Wrangler drivers when we get going
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
a taxi driver in vancouver informed me once that there ia a significant amount of people in the city without relevant driving licenses, driving experience and or insurance. this tends to centre around foreigners who dont swap their licenses over and would rather pay cash for cars/vehicles then pay for the insurances. i disbelieved him and his theories, but he managed to demonstrate his knowlege of the type of driver by what make of car they were in and how they drove,several times successfully in our 40- 50 minute journey
He wasn't, by any chance, a surgeon in his home country?

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 31st 2013 at 7:04 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by james.mc
Oh! I don't know.. you should see us Jeep Wrangler drivers when we get going
hmm especially with the roof down
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonboyE
He wasn't, by any chance, a surgeon in his home country?
now you come to mention it........

lol mock all you like. he was in his own country and appeared to make some valid points and observations...just thought id share
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is just Vancouver.. the Lower Mainland in general seem to have a pretty high concentration of bad drivers. I am not sure if it is because of the way their driving tests are structured? Seems that not many are able to merge on the highway, they just put their foot down and assume they have the right of way. Fast/Slow lanes do not exist apparently.. despite the numerous signs telling people that the left lane is the passing lane.

Funniest of all though is watching drivers approach a roundabout! The amount of accidents I have seen drivers just entering the roundabout without looking or drivers coming to a complete stop to allow others into the roundabout is ridiculous!

I often have rants about BC drivers!
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
I am not sure if it is because of the way their driving tests are structured?
Did you take a test here or just swap a licence over? I wonder if the old system is sometimes better, so new immigrants get better aquatinted with local driving practices.

Originally Posted by burks
Seems that not many are able to merge on the highway, they just put their foot down and assume they have the right of way.
Well they do, pretty much:

Vehicles already travelling the highway should help merging vehicles by offering space and changing lanes when it’s safe to do so. If it’s not safe to change lanes, adjust your speed to create space ahead or behind you.

From the Ministy of Transportation.

Last edited by R I C H; Nov 3rd 2013 at 10:29 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

lol... here I was hoping driving in Van would be less stressfull than here in UAE! D

will be interested to see the difference for myself in January
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Did you take a test here or just swap a licence over? I wonder if the old system is sometimes better, so new immigrants get better aquatinted with local driving practices.

Well they do, pretty much:

Vehicles already travelling the highway should help merging vehicles by offering space and changing lanes when it’s safe to do so. If it’s not safe to change lanes, adjust your speed to create space ahead or behind you.

From the Ministy of Transportation.

My license was just swapped over as I had a full British license for more than 2 years. All they did was an eye test and asked me about 3 questions. If I hesitated at all in answering the lady what basically tell me the answer. Was pretty surprised at how easy it is. When I referred to the testing I was more thinking of how I know quite a few people who still have an 'N' as they keep failing their test.. and yet they can still drive like anyone else. I know technically that have limitations on who they can have in the car with them.. but realistically they are not going to get caught unless they commit anoher offence for which the Police pulls them over. So they can fail the test multiple times and yet stay on the road?

The Ministry of Transportation quote is strange to me.. create space ahead or behind you... So I decide I want to create a space behind me as there is no room to move over.. I am now racing the merging car (as I said previously, Vancouverites do not like to wait to merge)

This are getting a little better with the widening of Highway 1.. although the concept of fast/slow lanes is still lost on many people!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

After being in BC for 2 months, I've come to realise how much of a driving culture there seems to be here. I know we have Translink, which tbf, could be worse, but it feels so much more difficult to get anywhere on foot unless in downtown Vancouver. Apart from small residential areas, none of the roads seem to be smaller than a UK dual carriage way! You take your life in your hands trying to cross the street (knowing cars can turn right on a red still scares me ). A lot of people seem to bulk shop at CostCo to take advantage of savings, which is impossible without a vehicle! In the UK, if you needed to grab a pint of milk, you'd either pop down the corner shop or grab it on your way home from work. Over here, it seems more natural to just get into your car to make a specific trip to the store to only buy milk (maybe my friends just lack common sense ). No wonder people complain about the price of gas so much, because they're using it up so much faster!

Before I got here, a car was out of the question. I thought it was an expense that I could do with out. But now that I've been experiencing all this, I've been seriously looking into how I can do it in order to enjoy what I would consider to be nearly a basic standard of living!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:03 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
After being in BC for 2 months, I've come to realise how much of a driving culture there seems to be here. I know we have Translink, which tbf, could be worse, but it feels so much more difficult to get anywhere on foot unless in downtown Vancouver. Apart from small residential areas, none of the roads seem to be smaller than a UK dual carriage way! You take your life in your hands trying to cross the street (knowing cars can turn right on a red still scares me ). A lot of people seem to bulk shop at CostCo to take advantage of savings, which is impossible without a vehicle! In the UK, if you needed to grab a pint of milk, you'd either pop down the corner shop or grab it on your way home from work. Over here, it seems more natural to just get into your car to make a specific trip to the store to only buy milk (maybe my friends just lack common sense ). No wonder people complain about the price of gas so much, because they're using it up so much faster!

Before I got here, a car was out of the question. I thought it was an expense that I could do with out. But now that I've been experiencing all this, I've been seriously looking into how I can do it in order to enjoy what I would consider to be nearly a basic standard of living!
I managed to live almost 5 years without a car in BC. We would rent cars on the weekend whenever we decided to take a long trip somewhere. In my last job I kept commuting by car down to 2 days a week. The other days I cycled or took the bus.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in Vancouver it is possible to live without a car, but you need to choose your area carefully.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by KuroKuro

Have you considered a car sharing scheme? As long as you live in Vancouver they are a great option, either for quick one way journeys or for day trips (and even longer, as they include petrol & insurance) We just joined Zip Car, but there is also MODO and Car2Go.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

i find the vancouver driver to be equal in incompetence to the London driver, but without the suggestion of iminent road rage assault / homicide.

they seem to hesitate and dilly dally; i frequently see motorist squeal to a halt because they spy a pedestrian (who has no intention of crossing the road) or a cyclist patiently waiting behind a stop sign.

incidentally, the brand of car most synonymous with gawd-awful driving is without question, TOYOTA! (inclusive of LEXUS - the premium class of wally!) but that is the consequence of marketing your product as being a leader in driver safety; you attract those who know they need protection!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:23 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
i find the vancouver driver to be equal in incompetence to the London driver, but without the suggestion of iminent road rage assault / homicide.

!
You can say London drivers are aggressive, but we're certainly not incompetent. That's utter bollox. If you consider the volume of traffic, the narrowness of roads, the fact that pedestrians will blithely walk into the middle of a small A road with the tacit understanding that a driver will see them, then you might say that London drivers are some of the best in the world, if not the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.