Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

driving in vancouver

driving in vancouver

Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:22 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving in vancouver

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Having checked with the Road Sense booklet, U-turns, 2 and 3 point turns are actually all OK, so I guess this is just a by-law in Vancouver - I've no idea about the suburbs. I've seen several people being ticketed for U-turns in Vancouver
Yup. I have no other authority other than what my driving instructor told me, and that these manoeuvres are not part of the road test in Vancouver. Not that you're likely to get in trouble if you do - people do far worse things all the time.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 2:37 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

A complaint that one quite regularly hears from newly arrived British expats in Canada is that there are so few traffic circles / roundabouts. This complaint rapidly evaporates once the plaintiff has actually negotiated a traffic circle in Canada. Then he/she goes down on his/her bended knees and thanks the Almighty that there are as few traffic circles as there are, and indeed begs that none more be built.
Spot on. OP should be aware that most drivers in BC seem to be clueless as to the correct procedure at roundabouts/traffic circles. This is not helped by the driver handbook. The official guideline says a driver must yield to a vehicle in the traffic circle AND that if two vehicles arrive at the roundabout/traffic circle together, the vehicle on the right has priority (exactly the same as four-way stops). As a consequence, drivers are often checking out the road coming in on the right rather than looking for traffic already on the roundabout (on their left). This is what happened to me tonight as somebody nearly took me out at a roundabout on my way home. Fortunately I have good brakes and it had only just dropped below freezing so it was not yet icy. Be very careful about negotiating roundbaouts here.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

If you're comming out of a residental road into a highway where the speed limit sign says, for example, 100km/hr you are expected to acclerate almost immediately to that speed, regardless of which lane you're on, or risk getting rear-ended.

In many other countries, a speed limit sign just means " do not exceed that limit". Hence the popularity of cars with engine capacities of over 3000 cc here. The concept of imagining having an egg between your foot and the acclerator pedal when driving ( to save fuel ) is simply not applicable here.