Driving in the UK on Canadian License

Driving in the UK on Canadian License

Old Sep 13th 2018, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in the UK on Canadian License

Hi All,

Hope all are well.

I am returning back to the UK for a short visit. I surrendered my UK license when I relocated to Canada (Vancouver) and currently have my Canadian driving license. I realised that I did not cancel my name off of the vehicle insurance here, although I presume that to not mean anything anymore given that I am now on a Canadian license. My question is, what do you suggest I do to enable myself to drive for a few weeks whilst here? I have access to a vehicle, but are there insurance companies that offer short term options to people in my position that come recommended by BritishExpats users?

Thank you all in advance, always appreciated!
Old Sep 13th 2018, 11:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the UK on Canadian License

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Hi All,

Hope all are well.

I am returning back to the UK for a short visit. I surrendered my UK license when I relocated to Canada (Vancouver) and currently have my Canadian driving license. I realised that I did not cancel my name off of the vehicle insurance here, although I presume that to not mean anything anymore given that I am now on a Canadian license. My question is, what do you suggest I do to enable myself to drive for a few weeks whilst here? I have access to a vehicle, but are there insurance companies that offer short term options to people in my position that come recommended by BritishExpats users?

Thank you all in advance, always appreciated!
You can drive using your Canadian DL. Are you renting or driving a relative’s/friend’s car? If renting your Canadian credit card will probably cover insurance. If using someone else’s car...they must obtain permission (preferably in writing) from their insurance company for a non resident to drive the vehicle.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can drive using your Canadian DL. Are you renting or driving a relative’s/friend’s car? If renting your Canadian credit card will probably cover insurance. If using someone else’s car...they must obtain permission (preferably in writing) from their insurance company for a non resident to drive the vehicle.
To clarify a bit on the credit card suggestion - some, not all, credit cards provide rental car coverage so you don't have to take the policy that the car rental operator will doubtless pressure you to take. Do check the small print with your credit card to ensure you understand what is, and what is not covered. As an example (although not likely to be relevant to the UK) my CIBC Aerogold card doesn't cover me to rent pick up trucks or luxury vehicles over $60k value.

The OP's post seem to imply however that he/she has the potential use of someone elses vehicle while in the UK. In that instance the owner of that vehicle will need to contact their insurer and extend the coverage to you while you are using it. It is not possible, AFAIK, to take a separate insurance policy out on an already insured vehicle.

Your driving licence btw is not really a factor in insurance beyond the need to have one of course. You don't have a UK licence but are perfectly entitled to drive in the UK on your provincial driving licence. (No such thing as a "Canadian" driving licence per se.)
Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
To clarify a bit on the credit card suggestion - some, not all, credit cards provide rental car coverage so you don't have to take the policy that the car rental operator will doubtless pressure you to take. Do check the small print with your credit card to ensure you understand what is, and what is not covered. As an example (although not likely to be relevant to the UK) my CIBC Aerogold card doesn't cover me to rent pick up trucks or luxury vehicles over $60k value.

The OP's post seem to imply however that he/she has the potential use of someone elses vehicle while in the UK. In that instance the owner of that vehicle will need to contact their insurer and extend the coverage to you while you are using it. It is not possible, AFAIK, to take a separate insurance policy out on an already insured vehicle.

Your driving licence btw is not really a factor in insurance beyond the need to have one of course. You don't have a UK licence but are perfectly entitled to drive in the UK on your provincial driving licence. (No such thing as a "Canadian" driving licence per se.)
That’s why I said probably.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 12:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We had house/pet sitters stay at our home in the UK for 6 weeks. They were from Australia and had International drivers licences. We wanted them to be able to drive our vehicle so rang our insurer - we were able to add them as drivers to our existing policy for a small fee (can't remember exactly how much). When we returned to the UK we just removed them from the policy.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 1:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Adding someone to an existing policy for a short period is usually far cheaper than taking out a separate short term policy. It was free for my parents to add my brother and I to their policy over the Christmas period.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that some companies won’t now allow a Canadian licence holder to their insurance - I’ve been added in the past but my brothers company refused to add me last year.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:01 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to the Canadian credit cards that will provide rental insurance, then I believe most of the "no annual fee" cards don't offer it. My something a year card from TD does not cover it, I believe I'd need to have one with an annual fee of at least $80 for it to include Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 7:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
When it comes to the Canadian credit cards that will provide rental insurance, then I believe most of the "no annual fee" cards don't offer it. My something a year card from TD does not cover it, I believe I'd need to have one with an annual fee of at least $80 for it to include Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance.
The RBC pay cards have auto coverage from the $39 pa and up
Old Sep 14th 2018, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Great stuff and thank you all for your input, extremely helpful and much appreciated as always!