Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Test - British Columbia

Wikiposts

Driving Test - British Columbia

Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:52 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test - British Columbia

Dude, you can take your test in a Dodge Charger under the following strictly controlled conditions.

Mandatory wearing of dark shades and accompanying black muscle vest is required.
Avoid use of heel-and-toe driving technique.
Do not test out effectiveness of the traction control system.
No mistaking a handbrake turn for a 3 point turn.
Do not refer to your tester as 'dude'.
Turn off the bling-bling tunes (your tester will not appreciate yo funky rhyddim).
There is no 'cruising around hunting for lay-deez' session in the class 5 driving test.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Driving Test - British Columbia-charger_gallery_med_03.jpg  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hey Rich,

I feel sorry for anyone taking their test in Kelowna, now the snow is here. Fall is over, here comes winter! The boys are hoping for enough to make a snowman! Have you got your winter tyres yet? I think I'd better go and buy some

Louise

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Dude, you can take your test in a Dodge Charger under the following strictly controlled conditions.

Mandatory wearing of dark shades and accompanying black muscle vest is required.
Turn off the bling-bling tunes (your tester will not appreciate yo funky rhyddim).
There is no 'cruising around hunting for lay-deez' session in the class 5 driving test.

Rich.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:24 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Hey Rich,

I feel sorry for anyone taking their test in Kelowna, now the snow is here. Fall is over, here comes winter! The boys are hoping for enough to make a snowman! Have you got your winter tyres yet? I think I'd better go and buy some
Looks on for a fair bit of snow soon ? Little flurries over on the mountain up here and it's sticking too. Car's back in the garage after I washed it yesterday in the freezing cold wind

Roads are good for us up here as they are plowed regular when needed because we have two school buses coming right through the devleopment and down into town mind you that haul up from town off High Road is a fair old climb up, 33 degrees in some places I reckon.

We have all-seasons on and they're quite chunky, we went up to Big White Friday and drove on the ice roads all the way up and down, about 12 km each way on ice with a light scattering of grit, the car was solid and I felt confident driving as the tires were/seemed fine. So, we are thinking we'll be fine so far, with front wheel drive too. We don't really get such bad winters here after all.

Canadian Tire had a good deal on rims and tires last week. Also that place on Springfield (forget the name) had a deal on, four for the price of three on tires only or tires and rims, and the tires were a good name brand, Goodyear I think ? They were advertising on Sun FM I think as well as in the newspaper.

Rich.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Thanks for the info, I had see a flier about Canadian Tire. I think I'll give them a call and book the car in. I'm just going to get the tires swapped and keep the old ones. I'm not buying new rims as we'll probably be changing the car next year anyway. I can always put the other tires back on in the spring.

We are thinking of going up to Big White this weekend. How long did it take you to drive it?

Louise

Looks on for a fair bit of snow soon ? Little flurries over on the mountain up here and it's sticking too. Car's back in the garage after I washed it yesterday in the freezing cold wind

Roads are good for us up here as they are plowed regular when needed because we have two school buses coming right through the devleopment and down into town mind you that haul up from town off High Road is a fair old climb up, 33 degrees in some places I reckon.

We have all-seasons on and they're quite chunky, we went up to Big White Friday and drove on the ice roads all the way up and down, about 12 km each way on ice with a light scattering of grit, the car was solid and I felt confident driving as the tires were/seemed fine. So, we are thinking we'll be fine so far, with front wheel drive too. We don't really get such bad winters here after all.

Canadian Tire had a good deal on rims and tires last week. Also that place on Springfield (forget the name) had a deal on, four for the price of three on tires only or tires and rims, and the tires were a good name brand, Goodyear I think ? They were advertising on Sun FM I think as well as in the newspaper.

Rich.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:08 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
We are thinking of going up to Big White this weekend. How long did it take you to drive it?
Ooh about a hour I'd say, easy driving, there's not much open yet (24th Nov I think they plan to open up) but it's nice just going up and taking a walk around to get to know the area while it's quiet. We took a flask of hot coffee hmmmmm nice and just stretched our legs a little. Great views over to the Monashee Mountians as well (see pics attached) if it's a nice clear sunny day. Must've been say 2 feet of snow up there, so the kids could play snowballs and have fun etc. It was very crisp and cold too, with the slight wind chill blowing in. Much colder than down in K-town.

Enjoy,

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Driving Test - British Columbia-monashees.jpg   Driving Test - British Columbia-towards-monashees.jpg   Driving Test - British Columbia-winter-wonderland.jpg   Driving Test - British Columbia-snow-people.jpg  
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Thanks for the piccies. I have been looking at the webcam of both the ski resorts. If you haven't looked at these, go to www.Castanet.net and it is an option of one of the menus at the top.

Snowmen and snowballs is all I have heard all morning, closely followed by the word sledge

Louise

Ooh about a hour I'd say, easy driving, there's not much open yet (24th Nov I think they plan to open up) but it's nice just going up and taking a walk around to get to know the area while it's quiet. We took a flask of hot coffee hmmmmm nice and just stretched our legs a little. Great views over to the Monashee Mountians as well (see pics attached) if it's a nice clear sunny day. Must've been say 2 feet of snow up there, so the kids could play snowballs and have fun etc. It was very crisp and cold too, with the slight wind chill blowing in. Much colder than down in K-town.

Enjoy,

Rich.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Witchygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL Rich, this really made me laugh!!!!!
When we get to BC I have told my husband that I want a lovely big 4x4 extended cab truck. Of course, we may not be able to afford it !! I have not been allowed to have any sort of 4x4 in the UK - but my argument is that we need it - have two dogs, one of which is a giant breed so I must have lots of room for my boys!!! Hubby thinks I am a girl racer
Witchygirl
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

To tackle some of the roads out here you really do need a 4x4, we are going to buy one probably next year.

Girl racing has nothing to do with it. Engines are much bigger here. I have a 7 seater what they call a minivan. The nearest think I can compare it to is something like a Vauxhall Zafira. It has a 3.3L engine which is pretty standard a size over here.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:14 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.
Cool, I'll start practising here in Bristol, but I may have to borrow your muscle vest for my test
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:24 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:29 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Car's back in the garage after I washed it yesterday in the freezing cold wind
Let me guess...
Attached Thumbnails Driving Test - British Columbia-freezin.jpg