Reload this Page >

Driving Test - British Columbia

Wikiposts

Driving Test - British Columbia

Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Witchygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Test - British Columbia

Is there anyone who has taken their driving test for BC who would like to share what exactly they had to do??? Worrying about it already and we haven't even got there yet :scared: When I am nervous my brain always takes a hike and I am really worried that I won't pass first time - in which case I will be out in the sticks with no transport while hubby is at work! Any experiences will be read with interest
Witchygirl
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:31 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test - British Columbia

Originally Posted by Witchygirl
Is there anyone who has taken their driving test for BC who would like to share what exactly they had to do?
Hi there - it's pretty much a doddle, once you have prepared and checked out the differences in driving, signs, habits etc.

Firstly go to ICBC and get the Roadsense and Tuning Up booklets, have a good long read. Then you might want to understand all the signs and use your driving experience to take the ICBC online road test. This will indicate how well you'll do in the theoretical test.

Some time spent driving around town on all the key busy routes is vital, get to know the test route area (see next).

You may want to pay a few $ to go out with a driving instructor for a tune up session. I did that and found it very worthwhile. They will point out your key weaknesses and take you round the test route, point out the key potential fail areas.

Regarding the practical test, inside the back of Roadsense is listed the key areas the testers look for, this hot-list is totally vital in understanding what you need to do to pass. Essentially:

Shoulder checks - done always (i.e. in the sideways direction the car is moving and twice at stop signs). Miss 3 and you fail
Stopping at stop line or appropriate stopping mark (where sign is on roadside).
Understanding 3 and 4 way stops.
Navigating roundabouts if one is in your town.
360 degree check when reversing.
Verbal hazard check during test.
Lane control, indicating (mirror-signal-manouvre as in the UK), intersection positioning etc.
Not crossing solid lines
180 degree scanning of intersection before moving off, and mirror checking whilst you drive (e.g. check your mirrors every few seconds in rotation).
Driving using hands-over-hands methods not the UK shuffling method of steering wheel control.
Speed control at all times esp in school zone (instant fail if missed).
Foot over brake ("covering" when approaching crosswalk, flashing green light etc.

So it's pretty much a doddle if you're an experienced driver and can adapt and just shake up any old lazy habits you may have, but be sure to check out the pitfalls. TBH I'm sure nobody needs the extra hassle of failing the test.

$15 for the written test
$81 for the driving test and license for two years.

ps the BC driver license looks really cool too !!!

Rich.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Good advice,
May I add that coming to a complete stop at 3-4 way stops etc, a slight roll has failed some Brits.
Also be prepared to know all controls, lights etc on car as well as 3 basic hand signals.
If you get used to driving like they want for a bit it is pretty easy.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:21 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hudman
May I add that coming to a complete stop at 3-4 way stops etc, a slight roll has failed some Brits.
Also be prepared to know all controls, lights etc on car as well as 3 basic hand signals.
Very good point indeed, fail that and you don't even get to drive the test :-(
also check horn works on car !

Rich
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Witchygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rich,
Thank you so much for that very helpful advice!! I will run off your email and I will also as soon as I get to BC get the books you mentioned. I do intend to have some driving lessons anyway over there first - have never driven on the right hand side - was going to on our research trip in October, but I developed a real vile cold just after we arrived and I felt so rough most of the time we were there that I just couldn't be bothered to try! As we will be living on Vancouver Island and close to Victoria, I guess the driving test would be in Victoria perhaps.
Many thanks also to all of the rest who have contributed
Witchygirl
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:28 am
Lotus-eater

Plus leave plenty of space after car in front, enough to see the bottom of their tyres on the road.

Glad to help and good luck,

Rich.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi

What Rich has said is right. That is all the stuff they are supposed to do. They forgot the hazard perception bit on mine. The only reversing I did was out if the parking lot at the start of the test and a reverse onto a drive that was so wide you could have turned a tank on it. The person who tested me even provided the candy to eat on the way around! My husband got asked to put his parking brake on and off, I didn't.

The theory bit is the hardest bit, knowing your signs. My husband passed his road test 3 days after arriving back from the UK. He was unable to drive when he returned to Canada as he was out of his 90 days. We risked it and he drove from our house to the test centre (about 4 miles) on the morning of the test and that was the only right-hand-side driving he did and he passed.

They are so unlike the UK really nice and chatty. At the beginning of the test they tell you exactly what they want you to do in terms of mirror and shoulder checks.

As long as you learn the book of sign etc they give you and practice driving as much as you can you'll be fine.

The driving licence as Rich said is pretty cool compared to the UK one.

Louise
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Plus leave plenty of space after car in front, enough to see the bottom of their tyres on the road.

Glad to help and good luck,

Rich.
Good point, my husband got pulled up about this.

Just got his handwritten test sheet out and you are allowed 3 errors for left turns, 4 errors for right turns and 3 errors for that they call intersection through.

You can ask questions at the beginning to clarify, so if there is anything you are not sure of, speak up then. For example, I took my test at the beginning of the summer holidays and I got her to clarify that I didn't have to adhere to the 30kph speed signs outside the elementary schools as they were closed. I didn't want to drive at 50kph and get failed or drive at 30kph and get told I was too slow holding the traffic up - so I thought it safer to ask.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:02 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Have a practice with this

http://www.yourlibrary.ca/driving/index.asp

Good luck

Clare

Actually, once you have been driving here a while the rules make more sense than UK driving rules. Oh, they haven't a clue what to do with a roundabout!! Too funny for words *until you see someone coming towards you having gone around it the wrong way!!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:56 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Oh, they haven't a clue what to do with a roundabout!! Too funny for words *until you see someone coming towards you having gone around it the wrong way!!
This is true, the day before my own test, my tester told me he had a lady turn left at a roundabout luckily they were in a driving school car with dual controls and he was able to stop the car - tho he did say he needed clean underwear afterwards

They are also very nice friendly helpful people. The same guy was telling me he took a young girl for her test and she was so nervous and stressed she failed really early on in the test route. So he asked her what she wanted to do and she was all upset and crying (boo hoo). So he offered to use the remaining 30 minutes test time to show her a few pointers and boost her confidence. She passed next day with a different tester. What a nice guy, eh !

Rich.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rich,

I think the nice guy might have been trying to make you feel better too. If someone fails their test they aren't allowed to take it for another 7 days. The lady at the test centre told me that and she said there is no way around it as their computer system wont allow it.

Louise

This is true, the day before my own test, my tester told me he had a lady turn left at a roundabout luckily they were in a driving school car with dual controls and he was able to stop the car - tho he did say he needed clean underwear afterwards

They are also very nice friendly helpful people. The same guy was telling me he took a young girl for her test and she was so nervous and stressed she failed really early on in the test route. So he asked her what she wanted to do and she was all upset and crying (boo hoo). So he offered to use the remaining 30 minutes test time to show her a few pointers and boost her confidence. She passed next day with a different tester. What a nice guy, eh !

Rich.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:43 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

$15 for the written test
$81 for the driving test and license for two years.
Hi Rich,
What happens after 2 years? Do you have to retake the test or just apply for another one?
Also if you fail, do you have to pay again?
Can I do the test in a Dodge Charger?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:43 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bleech
Hi Rich,
What happens after 2 years? Do you have to retake the test or just apply for another one?
Also if you fail, do you have to pay again?
Can I do the test in a Dodge Charger?

The way I understand it, am sure it's the same in BC, if you fail your test, you have to pay to retake it. Also when your licence expires ( 5yrs in Ont ), you have to pay to renew it ( you don't have to take the test again )
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:21 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bleech
Hi Rich,
No, but it is an excellent opportunity to have a new photo done!

What I can't get over is the fact that our date of birth is so clear on the front of the licence

Clare
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:40 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
No, but it is an excellent opportunity to have a new photo done!

What I can't get over is the fact that our date of birth is so clear on the front of the licence

Clare
And of course you'll need a new outfit for the photo

Thanks for the answers ladies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.