Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving and road trip plans in Canada (and US)

Driving and road trip plans in Canada (and US)

Old Sep 3rd 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving and road trip plans in Canada (and US)

Thanks for coming back & letting us know it all worked out, sounds like a fantastic trip
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When you plan and prepare things usually work out. Those who don't plan and prepare are the ones who encounter problems.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

AOGT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
When you plan and prepare things usually work out. Those who don't plan and prepare are the ones who encounter problems.
Agreed; we planned the hell out of this trip for 9 months before going!

One thing that we did deliberately was cross borders in rural locations - meant it was a lot more relaxed. US talked to us for 2 hours on the way in and searched the car but it never appeared serious and we we constantly reassured (not that that means much). Canada asked me when we were leaving (I said the end of Sept to go to NZ) and they immediately said "Welcome back to Canada" and sent us on our way. Amazingly easy. After the concerns noted in this thread I was really apprehensive.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AOGT
Agreed; we planned the hell out of this trip for 9 months before going!

One thing that we did deliberately was cross borders in rural locations - meant it was a lot more relaxed. US talked to us for 2 hours on the way in and searched the car but it never appeared serious and we we constantly reassured (not that that means much). Canada asked me when we were leaving (I said the end of Sept to go to NZ) and they immediately said "Welcome back to Canada" and sent us on our way. Amazingly easy. After the concerns noted in this thread I was really apprehensive.
But the concerns pointed out were genuine concerns for people who take these trips. If you turn up at any border and don't have citizenship in that country then you enter by privilege as a guest of that country. You have no right to enter that country or as in some cases I have encountered they demand to be let in.
For those entering Canada its simple as long as you are not inadmissible for security, criminal, organized crime, health and financial reasons and I don't believe you will work or study illegally and will leave Canada within a prescribed time then you will be admitted.
Turning up with $30 in your pocket and credit cards maxed out and no return ticket or an idea of what you will be doing or how long you will be staying is just SHEER STUPIDITY on the travellers part. They then wonder why they are being refused entry? Mmmmm I wonder why
Old Sep 4th 2015, 3:01 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, sorry to bump this from old but I wanted to say that despite a lot of the concerns noted in this thread, I've just finished the trip and had zero issues whatsoever at any border. Maybe I got lucky (I had evidence of my permanent residence in the UK like a recent verified bank statement and a copy of my most recent student loans letter). But still, if anyone is planning to do a road trip, go with optimism.

We did 12,325km in 35 days in a car we bought for $2000 CAD, hitting 20 states and 6 provinces. Pacific to Atlantic. Great fun.
Well done AOGT. Thanks for the update.

You are creating some wonderful memories - hope you are keeping a journal of some sort!

J
Old Sep 4th 2015, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanna do a roadtrip down to Florida, but never get enough time off work!
Old Sep 5th 2015, 12:30 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I've always resisted the temptation because people tell me the first half of the drive is incredibly boring from Calgary. Across Saskatchewan and then down through Minot then across North Dakota.

Didn't someone post a video of the drive from Regina to here? Didn't look thrilling.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've always resisted the temptation because people tell me the first half of the drive is incredibly boring from Calgary. Across Saskatchewan and then down through Minot then across North Dakota.

Didn't someone post a video of the drive from Regina to here? Didn't look thrilling.
I think the Mericans use that video as a form of torture in Gitmo.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:33 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, sorry to bump this from old but I wanted to say that despite a lot of the concerns noted in this thread, I've just finished the trip and had zero issues whatsoever at any border. Maybe I got lucky (I had evidence of my permanent residence in the UK like a recent verified bank statement and a copy of my most recent student loans letter). But still, if anyone is planning to do a road trip, go with optimism.

We did 12,325km in 35 days in a car we bought for $2000 CAD, hitting 20 states and 6 provinces. Pacific to Atlantic. Great fun.
Sounds like the most amazing trip and thanks for coming back to tell us about it!

Must admit, I'm quite envious!