Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving on the right hand side of the road appose to the left

Wikiposts

Driving on the right hand side of the road appose to the left

Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:29 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving on the right hand side of the road appose to the left

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe a flashing green in Ontario means that you have the right of way whereas in BC it's a pedestrian controlled crossing.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

I found it difficullt to keep away from the kerb at first, sending my OH into a panic every couple of hundred yards.

My big fault is when I drive in a panic and it has only happened twice thank goodness. The first time I had a call to say a friend up the mountain had tried to commit suicide and they couldn't get into the house while waiting for the fire brigade...Everything was OK till I took a wrong turn, turned round, then raced off again....on the wrong side of the road . I only realised when another car was coming toward me.

The same thing happened after another calamity. My Brit Brain seems to go into gear when I panic, but having said that, I still occasionally go to the passenger side of the car to drive, and that's after six years!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe a flashing green in Ontario means that you have the right of way whereas in BC it's a pedestrian controlled crossing.
Yes.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Driving on the right hand side of the road appose to the left

is it possible to purchase a canadian highway code?
i have trawlled the internet and cant seem to find one?!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul5455
is it possible to purchase a canadian highway code? i have trawlled the internet and cant seem to find one?!
Not sure there is such a thing, but SGI certainly have similar books for Saskatchewan drivers.

Edit: I think this is the one, from what I remember it's quite informative but might not all be applicable in other provinces:

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/sgi_pub/instruc...dbook_full.pdf
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:32 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Think you're right Mark - there's certainly an Ontario drivers handbook, not that I've read it, more interesting working it out as you go along....
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

haha
im still tempted to read some sort of drivers manual before i get out there!
i have no idea with the light system etc!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

haha
im still tempted to read some sort of drivers manual before i get out there!
i have no idea with the light system etc!
The SGI one should cover all that, but there may be differences from other provinces as discussed here. Probably worth looking to see if there's something online for whichever province you're heading for.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an Ontario Drivers Handbook - worthwhile to know the law.
Keep it in the car and refer to it once per year!
Useful for fines/points for offences - not that I have ever had a penalty point in my life.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
The SGI one should cover all that, but there may be differences from other provinces as discussed here. Probably worth looking to see if there's something online for whichever province you're heading for.
is there really that much difference from province to province?!
bang goes my theory of driving over Canada (and yes, i do know big it is and no, i wasnt planning on doing it in a weekend!)
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

is there really that much difference from province to province?!
Good question. I honestly don't know, but other peoples' comments imply that there are so I wouldn't want to point someone towards the Saskatchewan handbook and then find that it doesn't apply elsewhere .
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
Good question. I honestly don't know, but other peoples' comments imply that there are so I wouldn't want to point someone towards the Saskatchewan handbook and then find that it doesn't apply elsewhere .
i have just printed the Saskatchewan handbook (176 pages of it - its ok, on work paper!), and will have a look through.
its the basic stuff i want to look at such as signs and traffic signals. the local stuff i guess ill pick up - hopefully!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Most canadians NEVER see a roundabout, so why would we know how to drive on one! How to confuse a brit..put up a 4 way stop! My husband cusses every time he sees one, easy for me, np..he whinges.

No use getting used to shifting with right hand as in most cases most people drive automatics in Canada...why have the bother of shifting gears when auto is so much easier and less time consuming.

Flashing green in Ont I believe as others have said, you can make a left hand turn while oncoming traffic is on a red, used mostly on 3 way junctions and very busy streets.

Province to province some things do change, ie in Ont you can make a right turn on red light (in most cases not all) but in Quebec it is a big fat no no.

At least our street signs are high enough they dont get blocked by parked cars, or over grown by shrubs. One of my biggest pet peeves about UK driving, half the time you can't find the right street b/c sign is blocked/covered. Gette'm up high!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

One time I came out of the supermarket, very, very tired and loaded all the bags onto the driver's seat. Then I walked round the car, climbed into the passenger seat and stared blankly at the dashboard for a measurable beat before realizing what was wrong. Then I had to unload all the bags... Sigh.

I like the fact that you can turn right on a red light - think we should do the equivalent here - seems crazy sitting there when you could just go....

As for the stop start stop start - you must be talking about the UK! What flow??
Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Dances With Skunks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Most canadians NEVER see a roundabout, so why would we know how to drive on one! How to confuse a brit..put up a 4 way stop! My husband cusses every time he sees one, easy for me, np..he whinges.

No use getting used to shifting with right hand as in most cases most people drive automatics in Canada...why have the bother of shifting gears when auto is so much easier and less time consuming.

Flashing green in Ont I believe as others have said, you can make a left hand turn while oncoming traffic is on a red, used mostly on 3 way junctions and very busy streets.

Province to province some things do change, ie in Ont you can make a right turn on red light (in most cases not all) but in Quebec it is a big fat no no.

At least our street signs are high enough they dont get blocked by parked cars, or over grown by shrubs. One of my biggest pet peeves about UK driving, half the time you can't find the right street b/c sign is blocked/covered. Gette'm up high!
You can turn right on a red light in Quebec (law changed a few years ago) - but I believe it is still restricted in Montreal (on the island).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.