Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving on the right hand side of the road appose to the left

Wikiposts

Driving on the right hand side of the road appose to the left

Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving on the right hand side of the road appose to the left

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Does anyone know why Britain drives on the "wrong" side of the road ?
However which one is right and which one is wrong though?

I was quite suprised when I learned Canada drove on the right, as many of the ex colonies drive in the left, I suppose it was the influence from the states.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:33 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Was told by my driving instructor here in Ottawa that the city has two roundabouts.

One gives priority to traffic joining the roundabout, i.e. others yield for you to enter. The other gives priority for those already on it.

Not sure how true this is, but roundabouts are definitely regarded with some suspicion here.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Don't park facing the wrong direction on the side of the road, this is a ticketable offence.
I learnt this the hard way in Vancouver, trouble finding a parking spot near granvile island, so i parked on the opposite side facing the wrong way, came back to a nice fine.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

I'm currently in Lethbridge, AB, never driven outside UK before and was absolutely brickin it when I picked our hire car up from Calgary aiport, had a near miss on a left turn when I realised I was on the left hand side of the road but the oncoming car kinda made me realise .
After a couple of days it just kicks in and becomes almost natural, been here a week now and not sure what all the fuss was about although the 4-way stop intersections can be fun, and yeah the green flashing light is a right of way when turning left, also turning right on a red light if the way is clear takes some getting used to.
All in all I found it easy once I'd made a couple of trips, now not looking forward to driving on the left side when we fly back to the UK
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I was quite suprised when I learned Canada drove on the right, as many of the ex colonies drive in the left, I suppose it was the influence from the states.
Canada used to drive on the left many years ago. Can you imagine the mayhem of driving across the border and having to change sides Many North Americans are vehiculalry challenged at the best of times.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:17 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Flashing green means that traffic joining from a side road doesn't have traffic lights or there is some pedestrian control
Actually it is a pedestrian controlled crosswalk.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Canada used to drive on the left many years ago. Can you imagine the mayhem of driving across the border and having to change sides Many North Americans are vehiculalry challenged at the best of times.
Did they? I didnt know that? thats my interesting fact learn't for the day!

I agree thats the reason they must of changed over because of people from the states....driving across the border, however its only like driving off the ferry or chunnel from France to the UK....I remember all the big signs saying DRIVE ON THE LEFT!! to remind the poor unsuspecting Frenchman!

And yeah I do see what your saying about many North Americans being vehilculary challenged! - I cant believe how they drive on the highways! Im suprised there arn't more accidents! they drive SO close to the car in front! and lane discipline just doesn't exist!! its pick a lane and pick a speed!

Paul
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:45 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Did they? I didnt know that? thats my interesting fact learn't for the day!

I agree thats the reason they must of changed over because of people from the states....driving across the border, however its only like driving off the ferry or chunnel from France to the UK....I remember all the big signs saying DRIVE ON THE LEFT!! to remind the poor unsuspecting Frenchman!

And yeah I do see what your saying about many North Americans being vehilculary challenged! - I cant believe how they drive on the highways! Im suprised there arn't more accidents! they drive SO close to the car in front! and lane discipline just doesn't exist!! its pick a lane and pick a speed!

Paul
Sometimes bad things happen. http://www.vancouverite.com/2009/07/...on-highway-99/
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ColdAsIce
Is this something difficult? Do you eventually get used to it? There has been times when I have been with my father, very rarely that he has drove on the wrong side of the road in France. Normally occurs when you are driving late at night with no other cars on the road until you realise that there is a car coming in the opposite direction of you in the same lane.

I even know that the Irish government was even considering in changing this, Change the side of the road that one drives on and move to the right side of the road due to the influx of Polish foreigners as there was so many accidents. Not sure how that would have fared up against the Irish.

I'm told that driving on the right hand side is the better way to drive and safest, how is this?

Has parking been difficult for you? Probably a nightmare now

What about being too close to the middle line? As the driver now sits on the right side of the road and right hand drive car?

Thanks,
CAI
Ride a motorbike, then you don't have to worry about right versus left-hand drive.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I've found driving on the right to be okay generally. In terms of the style of roads the only aspect I don't really like is at some busy intersections where there isn't a dedicated "left turn" in the traffic light sequence, waiting for a gap in the incoming traffic but with poor visibility because of the oncoming left turn queue.

There are a few roundabouts (traffic circles I think they call them) in Edmonton and people seem to deal with them okay. Someone told me these ones have been around for a long time so everyone is used to them. I've only seen a couple of mini roundabouts in Calgary.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Does anyone know why Britain drives on the "wrong" side of the road ?
I've read it's to do with the style of horse drawn carriages that were popular. In Britain the horses were in pairs and the driver sat behind the right hand one to 'drive' them. It was easier and safer to pass to the left of an oncoming carriage. On the continent, it was more common for the horses to be one behind the other and it became usual practice to pass to the right. Don't know if it's true, but it would seem to fit.

As for learning to drive on the right, I had no real problems other than one time when I made a left turn into the wrong lane. Fortunately, it was late at night and there was no other traffic - although I probably wouldn't have made the mistake if there had been.

No, I had more trouble with the steering wheel being on the wrong side, particularly if I was getting into someone else's car and I'd be standing next to them while they unlocked what I thought was 'my' door. One time I came out of the supermarket, very, very tired and loaded all the bags onto the driver's seat. Then I walked round the car, climbed into the passenger seat and stared blankly at the dashboard for a measurable beat before realizing what was wrong. Then I had to unload all the bags... Sigh.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing i find very different over here, is that everything is so, stop go. stop go. whereas back home in england, because of the roundabouts and the give way signs there is more of a continuous flow, there seems to be a stop sign every 5 seconds over here where i live, it drives me crazy, especially when most roads in my town, you just have to slow down, look and then go, there doesnt seem to be a need for stop signs all the time.

another thing to get used to, is the long, straight for miles roads, wow do they get boring, always amusing when the canadians infront of you jam on the brakes when they approach a corner!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

We had a mantra - "Passenger - Pavement" - the passenger is always closest to the pavement (note: doesn't work when you translate it to Passenger - Sidewalk!)
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

There's a roundabout (or traffic circle as they like to call them) in Mackenzie Towne, Calgary. It's the first one I've seen since we came here. One of my Canadian friends was directing me to a place in Mackenzie and 'warned' me about the 'strange' traffic circle, she began to tell me instructions on how to use it....so funny! I had to tell her that I came from Swindon - the home of the infamous 'magic' roundabout - that scared her good and proper
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice

Originally Posted by ColdAsIce
Is this something difficult? Do you eventually get used to it? There has been times when I have been with my father, very rarely that he has drove on the wrong side of the road in France. Normally occurs when you are driving late at night with no other cars on the road until you realise that there is a car coming in the opposite direction of you in the same lane.

I even know that the Irish government was even considering in changing this, Change the side of the road that one drives on and move to the right side of the road due to the influx of Polish foreigners as there was so many accidents. Not sure how that would have fared up against the Irish.

I'm told that driving on the right hand side is the better way to drive and safest, how is this?

Has parking been difficult for you? Probably a nightmare now

What about being too close to the middle line? As the driver now sits on the right side of the road and right hand drive car?

Thanks,
CAI
The best thing here in BC is to point the car in a direction, shut your eyes, telephone someone, drink coffee, eat a burger, hang your leg out of the window, watch a movie and merge into the rest of the mayhem that is driving in Vancouver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.