Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is driving a "requirement" in Canada?

Is driving a "requirement" in Canada?

Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is driving a "requirement" in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're assuming a desire to go to a specific place whereas the previous posts spoke of wilderness. If a person in Toronto wanted good food and wine they'd go to France; aeroplanes go there. If they wanted wilderness they'd go north to Algonquin or southeast to the Adirondacks; buses go to both.

If someone in Toronto thought PEC to be agonizingly hip presumably they'd get there by penny-farthing.

How amazing - thank you. I never appreciated that aeroplanes went to France and that flying there is the obvious way of getting a good meal. And how naive of me to assume that someone might have a desire to go to a specific place! mea culpa.

I made a point which might be useful for the OP: 'country' areas which are not that distant from major cities can be impossible to access by public transport. My apologies for keeping on-topic and being helpful.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Just wanted to add something else. We eventually moved to the burbs to buy a house just before our 2nd child was born (we just couldn't afford a house in Toronto). Our new neighbours in the burbs were surprised that we didn't have 2 cars. Seems to be the norm in the burbs for parents to have 2 cars or, more often, a car and a minivan. We managed to survive with 1 car. My wife stayed at home with the kids. If she needed the car, she would drop me at work and pick me up later. I guess this was seen as bizarre.
i did this for the first two years we were in Canada. The first year we were in a small town, and for the second year we were out in the country, with no access to buses, etc. Even my post box was a 15 minute walk away. Since then i have succumbed to the 'living death' (according to some)that is a minivan, and I now somehow average 600km a week.

Originally Posted by scootb
Ignore dbd,he's a grumpy sod loaded with a bad dose of arrogance.
well he makes me laugh...
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie
There are plenty of places - not that far from major cities - which can only be reached by car. If you ever need/want to go to these areas (work? vacation?) without a car you'll have problems. For example, we live in the main town of Prince Edward County (2 hours East of Toronto - the new 'hip' destination for Toronto trendies foodies and wine lovers). Without a car it's virtually impossible to get here, unless you want to pay big bucks for taxis.
Whilst a vehicle undoubtedly makes it easier, there are transit options to get to PEC.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Whilst a vehicle undoubtedly makes it easier, there are transit options to get to PEC.
I've been to PEC. I went there to buy some chickens. I think if I'd wanted the chicken man could have brought the chickens to the station. Similarly, if one went there to visit one's grandparents, they could come to the station. I'm not seeing the need for public transport to a specific point within the county.

I do accept the general point that there are places in Canada one cannot easily reach without a car but not that there are no subsitutes; if you want tundra, we can do tundra by bus, if you want a bog full of mosquitoes, the train goes to one, if killing things is what you want, the tethered hunt people will pick you up. I think the whole Canadian outdoor experience is available to people without cars. The bigger challenge would be suburbia without a car, getting between a tract house and a job in one of those high tech estates.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to PEC. I went there to buy some chickens. I think if I'd wanted the chicken man could have brought the chickens to the station. Similarly, if one went there to visit one's grandparents, they could come to the station. I'm not seeing the need for public transport to a specific point within the county.

I do accept the general point that there are places in Canada one cannot easily reach without a car but not that there are no subsitutes; if you want tundra, we can do tundra by bus, if you want a bog full of mosquitoes, the train goes to one, if killing things is what you want, the tethered hunt people will pick you up. I think the whole Canadian outdoor experience is available to people without cars. The bigger challenge would be suburbia without a car, getting between a tract house and a job in one of those high tech estates.
I know lots of hunters and none of them have ever seen a 'tethered' hunt,and there's a lot more to hunting than simply killing!
It's pretty ignorant to suggest that killing is what hunting is all about,there is so much more to hunting than that!
But then if people are ignorant to something they just can't see past the 'kill' side of things.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I know lots of hunters and none of them have ever seen a 'tethered' hunt,and there's a lot more to hunting than simply killing!
It's pretty ignorant to suggest that killing is what hunting is all about,there is so much more to hunting than that!
But then if people are ignorant to something they just can't see past the 'kill' side of things.
Well, yes, it's not really the killing most people object to. It's more the wounding and leaving to suffer, the collateral damage to the environment and the dead farm and domestic animals.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes, it's not really the killing most people object to. It's more the wounding and leaving to suffer, the collateral damage to the environment and the dead farm and domestic animals.
Again that is not hunting,and again it's pretty ignorant to suggest that is how hunters act.
We do not shoot at cattle,we do not shoot anything and everything that we see.
We do spend way more time in the wilderness than the majority of people,we do pay for wildlife conservation,we do pay towards fish and wildlife officers salaries,how do you contribute?
I'm happy if I go hunting and don't fill a tag as I still get to enjoy the scenery,freedom,and seeing the various wildlife out there,THAT is what makes hunting the experience that it is,again it's NOT all about the kill.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 10:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy if I go hunting and don't fill a tag as I still get to enjoy the scenery,freedom,and seeing the various wildlife out there,THAT is what makes hunting the experience that it is,again it's NOT all about the kill.
I don't know what fill a tag means but why not just fire blanks then?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

lexi85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't know what fill a tag means but why not just fire blanks then?
Not sure where the hunting thing came from, maybe it's drifted a little off topic so I'm going to attempt to get back on topic...

Thanks for the (even more) info on the driving need. I know now that I should at least learn here in NZ before hand - though it don't seem that I'll be able to swap the licence - if only to get used to it. At least I know that would be able to do some things without a car while in that learning time.

One more question I do have, are the tests largely the same across different areas?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Again that is not hunting,and again it's pretty ignorant to suggest that is how hunters act.
We do not shoot at cattle,we do not shoot anything and everything that we see.
We do spend way more time in the wilderness than the majority of people,we do pay for wildlife conservation,we do pay towards fish and wildlife officers salaries,how do you contribute?
You can go out see the wildlife, freedom, and scenery without hunting.

While I am sure majority of hunters are rule followers, some hunters are not and break all sorts of rules, and those hunters put a bad taste into people's mouths regarding hunting.

The signs are all over, report poachers, report roadside hunting etc, so it's clearly an issue.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 2:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by lexi85
Not sure where the hunting thing came from, maybe it's drifted a little off topic so I'm going to attempt to get back on topic...
I think the short of that is that, if you want to kill things, there's an argument that, to do so, you'll need to be able to drive. Maybe you don't want to kill things anyway...
Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I think the short of that is that, if you want to kill things, there's an argument that, to do so, you'll need to be able to drive. Maybe you don't want to kill things anyway...
I won't lower myself to dbd's levels and try to explain the hypocrisy in talking hunters down while picking up ready wrapped pre killed food off a shelf.

But yes this has gone off topic,I will leave it at that.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I think the short of that is that, if you want to kill things, there's an argument that, to do so, you'll need to be able to drive.
I've had to stop for a moose in the road on the way to work. But I'm guessing you'd get in trouble for shooting it in the middle of rush-hour city traffic.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ooookay...

Perhaps we could get back to the OP's question and not turn this into (yet) another pro/anti hunting thread. Thanks.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 2:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lexi85

Thanks for the (even more) info on the driving need. I know now that I should at least learn here in NZ before hand - though it don't seem that I'll be able to swap the licence - if only to get used to it. At least I know that would be able to do some things without a car while in that learning time.

One more question I do have, are the tests largely the same across different areas?
Each Province (or Territory) has it's own licensing - your best bet is to do a quick Google search for your Province of choice and see what the requirements are.

Ontario accept NZ licenses for exchange, by the way. http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing...l-Licence.aspx

1Exchange agreements exist between Ontario and: other Canadian provinces and territories, Canadian Forces Europe, U.S.A., Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Germany, Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and Switzerland.

New Zealand

Current, valid, full Class 1 driver’s licence with documentation to satisfy all three (3) identification requirements
2. An original Certificate of Particulars dated within six months preceding the date of application for an Ontario driver’s licence.
The Certificate of Particulars must include a stamp and signature.

Probationary licences are not eligible for an exchange; however, the experience may be credited towards the mandatory wait period for the G2 road test.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 15th 2015 at 2:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.