Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is driving a "requirement" in Canada?

Is driving a "requirement" in Canada?

Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is driving a "requirement" in Canada?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Just wanted to add something else. We eventually moved to the burbs to buy a house just before our 2nd child was born (we just couldn't afford a house in Toronto). Our new neighbours in the burbs were surprised that we didn't have 2 cars. Seems to be the norm in the burbs for parents to have 2 cars or, more often, a car and a minivan. We managed to survive with 1 car. My wife stayed at home with the kids. If she needed the car, she would drop me at work and pick me up later. I guess this was seen as bizarre.
Maybe you had a shorter commute then the neighbors making it possible?

Most around here seem to have 2 cars, but its not really feasible for a spouse to drive 50+km's to Vancouver drop off their other half, come back, and repeat in the evening.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well yes, Yonge and Lawrence is out there but it's not 30 miles from Toronto. It's suburban but not suburban in the Oakville sense.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Most around here seem to have 2 cars, but its not really feasible for a spouse to drive 50+km's to Vancouver drop off their other half, come back, and repeat in the evening.
Yes, we were living in Brampton at the time and I was working in Mississauga so it was about 25 mins to my work. But it was still seen as bizarre and some of the neighbours had a shorter commute. We didn't see the point of 2 cars when we could get away with one.

The other side effect was that people just assumed that no-one was home if there wasn't a car in the driveway.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 10th 2015 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well yes, Yonge and Lawrence is out there but it's not 30 miles from Toronto. It's suburban but not suburban in the Oakville sense.
Brampton - not Yonge/Lawrence. I always took public transit to work when I lived at Yonge/Eglinton and Yonge/Lawrence. I know you do but I certainly don't consider Yonge/Eglinton or Yonge/Lawrence to be suburbs of Toronto. They have Toronto addresses, a mixture of business and residential, are densely populated areas with excellent public transit including subway stations.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 10th 2015 at 4:04 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 6:39 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

20 min ferry from Horseshoe bay

BC Ferries Schedules: Bowen Island - Vancouver(Snug Cove-Horseshoe Bay)

$12.10 walk on without a vehicle.

Several ferries per day, and I think the island has limited transit service.

Horseshoe Bay is easy to get to by transit, depending on what route you take, expect 45 to 1 hour min ride from downtown to the terminal on the bus.
Thanks - I'll make that a daytrip
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Beckiwoo .............

to do the Steveston trip, just go online to Translink Trip Planner

TransLink - Trip Planning

and follow the instructions on how to sort your trip out

For example, I just did it using Granville St @ W Georgia St and going to Steveston Village, Bayview Street, leaving at 10 am Saturday morning

Skytrain to Richmond Brighouse

transfer to 407 Brighouse

Cost on a Saturday, one zone $2.75
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Lynn Valley is a beautiful trip .............. seabus over to North Vancouver, then a bus from the terminal at Lonsdale Market

and you are out in the forest in no time at all
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:41 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Beckiwoo .............

to do the Steveston trip, just go online to Translink Trip Planner

TransLink - Trip Planning

and follow the instructions on how to sort your trip out

For example, I just did it using Granville St @ W Georgia St and going to Steveston Village, Bayview Street, leaving at 10 am Saturday morning

Skytrain to Richmond Brighouse

transfer to 407 Brighouse

Cost on a Saturday, one zone $2.75
Thanks

I know Steveston is accessible by public transit. I do use trip planner as well sometimes but sometimes I get lazy lol

I have a monthly pass so if I go on a weekend it will be free
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Thanks

I know Steveston is accessible by public transit. I do use trip planner as well sometimes but sometimes I get lazy lol

I have a monthly pass so if I go on a weekend it will be free

that's even better
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can access the wilderness by transit from Vancouver. A vehicle helps, but you can manage without.
Not all cities are like that,and if you want to get somewhere off the beaten track and away from tourists,then you need a car.
I don't like the touristy places,I prefer getting right out into the wilderness and seeing no one for a day or two,it's great,I highly encourage anyone to spend time in the middle of nowhere,wether as a day trip or a camping weekend away from campsites!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 11:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
Not all cities are like that,and if you want to get somewhere off the beaten track and away from tourists,then you need a car.
I don't like the touristy places,I prefer getting right out into the wilderness and seeing no one for a day or two,it's great,I highly encourage anyone to spend time in the middle of nowhere,wether as a day trip or a camping weekend away from campsites!
Surely you can take the train or bus to the end of the line and walk from there. For example, I walked for a day and a half off the end of the Grand Canyon, past the Hermit's Rest, that was reasonably remote and yet it's easily possible to get to the tourist part of the canyon by transit and then walk. Starting in Toronto, one could take a bus to Algonquin or Killarney and have enough wilderness to reenact the life of Ted Kaczynski. One could even argue that if you can get somewhere by minivan/SUV it's not wilderness at all.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely you can take the train or bus to the end of the line and walk from there. For example, I walked for a day and a half off the end of the Grand Canyon, past the Hermit's Rest, that was reasonably remote and yet it's easily possible to get to the tourist part of the canyon by transit and then walk. Starting in Toronto, one could take a bus to Algonquin or Killarney and have enough wilderness to reenact the life of Ted Kaczynski. One could even argue that if you can get somewhere by minivan/SUV it's not wilderness at all.
Have you attempted to get a train or bus from Edmonton going North west?
I sold the minivan and bought an F150,I wouldn't try and drive a minivan along some of the old haul and lease roads,never mind cut lines.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 10:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by scootb
Have you attempted to get a train or bus from Edmonton going North west?
No. However I'm not saying that one can reach every empty spot on earth in an afternoon using public transit, just that there's wilderness available without a vehicle. Does Greyhound go to Grand Prarie? If so the driver could drop you off halfway; that should be desolate enough for anyone.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of places - not that far from major cities - which can only be reached by car. If you ever need/want to go to these areas (work? vacation?) without a car you'll have problems. For example, we live in the main town of Prince Edward County (2 hours East of Toronto - the new 'hip' destination for Toronto trendies foodies and wine lovers). Without a car it's virtually impossible to get here, unless you want to pay big bucks for taxis.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 3:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Collie
There are plenty of places - not that far from major cities - which can only be reached by car. If you ever need/want to go to these areas (work? vacation?) without a car you'll have problems. For example, we live in the main town of Prince Edward County (2 hours East of Toronto - the new 'hip' destination for Toronto trendies foodies and wine lovers). Without a car it's virtually impossible to get here, unless you want to pay big bucks for taxis.
You're assuming a desire to go to a specific place whereas the previous posts spoke of wilderness. If a person in Toronto wanted good food and wine they'd go to France; aeroplanes go there. If they wanted wilderness they'd go north to Algonquin or southeast to the Adirondacks; buses go to both.

If someone in Toronto thought PEC to be agonizingly hip presumably they'd get there by penny-farthing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.