Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving record from SAAQ when out of province?

Wikiposts

Driving record from SAAQ when out of province?

Old Nov 14th 2014, 10:56 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Driving record from SAAQ when out of province?

Hi all,

My car insurance debacle continues. I've had a really good quote from one of the insurers recommended on my earlier thread. The issue I have now is dealing with the SAAQ for getting my driving record. The SAAQ will only send it to the address they have on file, which is my old address in northern Quebec. My new address is in Ontario but I'm not allowed to have an Ontario address on file with them. Has anyone gone through this situation? I don't really want to pay $95 for mail redirection from my old address in Quebec (I took the time to ensure everyone had my new address) just to get this letter from them. I had no idea I'd even need a driving record and I had to move quickly to start my new job anyway.

Alternatively, does anyone know if I can go to the SAAQ office in Montreal and collect it there and then in person?

Thanks for any help you can give
Catherine
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving record from SAAQ when out of province?

yes you should get your driving record on the spot by going to the Montreal office. I am assuming you still have a quebec DL. BTW you need to switch it to an Ontario license within 3 months (I think) of moving to Ontario.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:07 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

I already sacrificed my Quebec license to get my Ontario license. I do have a record of my Quebec license number though. Do you think that's enough if I take my passport with me too as proof of my identity?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by catpea33
I already sacrificed my Quebec license to get my Ontario license. I do have a record of my Quebec license number though. Do you think that's enough if I take my passport with me too as proof of my identity?
I would think so, but can't be sure. You could call the help line to find out before you travel to Montreal. Where are you now in Ontario? Any trips to Montreal planned soon?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:37 pm
is awesome

I'm in Kingston so not too far away from Montreal. My only planned trip is flying home for Xmas but that's not until December 20th and I won't have time. I can head over there next Friday and give them a call first to check I can actually collect it in person. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by catpea33; Nov 14th 2014 at 1:37 pm. Reason: Wrote next weekend. Naturally they're closed then.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by catpea33
I'm in Kingston so not too far away from Montreal. My only planned trip is flying home for Xmas but that's not until December 20th and I won't have time. I can head over there next Friday and give them a call first to check I can actually collect it in person. Fingers crossed!
Or would Ottawa be closer? Gatineau is just on the other side of the Ottawa River and has SAAQ offices.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CanAngel
Or would Ottawa be closer? Gatineau is just on the other side of the Ottawa River and has SAAQ offices.
They do deliver the driving records in person, but better check with them that they will do it with just the number. Maybe bring in a proof of address from your old place as well Driving to Ottawa should save you an hour each way
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:10 pm
is awesome

Oooh I never thought about Ottawa. That's definitely something I'll look into.