Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

driving in ontario on uk license, whilst on holiday any have any info?

driving in ontario on uk license, whilst on holiday any have any info?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

mark-r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving in ontario on uk license, whilst on holiday any have any info?

I'm visiting canada soon and want to drive, can I do this without apply for any permits? I'd like to simply take my uk license over there if possible and drive on this, I'll be there for 3 months, then I'll come back to England, and may go out there for another short while.

Thanks!!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving in ontario on uk license, whilst on holiday any have any info?

Originally Posted by mark-r
I'm visiting canada soon and want to drive, can I do this without apply for any permits? I'd like to simply take my uk license over there if possible and drive on this, I'll be there for 3 months, then I'll come back to England, and may go out there for another short while.

Thanks!!
The link below should give you all the info that you need.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.htm
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: driving in ontario on uk license, whilst on holiday any have any info?

Originally Posted by stepnek
The link below should give you all the info that you need.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.htm

thanks, that helps.

so if I travel as a visitor I can drive for 3 months, if I then return home, and visit again soon after will I have another 3 months?

I might have to give them a call, but if anyone could help i'd appreciate it.

thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, that helps.

so if I travel as a visitor I can drive for 3 months, if I then return home, and visit again soon after will I have another 3 months?

I might have to give them a call, but if anyone could help i'd appreciate it.

thanks.
I can't really answer that question with any authority. We moved over here in September and because we were living temporarily in Quebec I used my UK licence for rental cars without any problems. Now we have bought our home in Ontario I've exchanged my licence for an Ontario one. I can't imagine that there would be a problem in you returning to Canada and using your UK licence again because there doesn't seem to be any documented use of it in the normal course of events. Perhaps if you get a speeding ticket though...
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stepnek
I can't really answer that question with any authority. We moved over here in September and because we were living temporarily in Quebec I used my UK licence for rental cars without any problems. Now we have bought our home in Ontario I've exchanged my licence for an Ontario one. I can't imagine that there would be a problem in you returning to Canada and using your UK licence again because there doesn't seem to be any documented use of it in the normal course of events. Perhaps if you get a speeding ticket though...
that's cool. either way i'm sure i'll be ok for 3 months, i'm just wondering if once you've used your 3 months up, do you have to wait a year before you can use another 3 or something sometimes there are rules like that.

we'll see.

cheers!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

that's cool. either way i'm sure i'll be ok for 3 months, i'm just wondering if once you've used your 3 months up, do you have to wait a year before you can use another 3 or something sometimes there are rules like that.

we'll see.

cheers!
All they are saying is that up to 3 months you can use a regular licence, then if your stay is longer than that you either need an International Permit (about 6 pounds from the RAC I think) and that should cover you I think up to a year but if you are staying for a really long time, like a couple of years then they are going to consider you a resident and require you get an Ontario licence. So it applies to each individual trip. It's probably all dependant on whether they are classing you as a visitor or temporary resident etc.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:32 am
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been to Ontario a few times and never had a problem with rental cars and my UKDL. They just took a copy when I was picking up the car and that was it. I have never been pulled over in Canada so I havn't had to deal with that.