Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence swap, or new driving test?

Driving Licence swap, or new driving test?

Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving Licence swap, or new driving test?

Hi

I know Ontario has a swap agreement with the UK driving licence and that in BC you have to retake your test.

What is the situation in other provinces, eg NS, NB, Manitoba etc?

Also, if someone is blind in one eye (no restrictions on UK licence) is this likely to be a problem in any particular province?

This was originally posted in the Immigration forum, but was moved and I have just realised that there is a similar thread on at the moment, but nevertheless it would be useful to get a list of all the provinces that will swap, or if you need to swat up on your driving skills again to take a test.

Last edited by Gray C; Mar 21st 2006 at 11:31 pm. Reason: addition
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence swap, or new driving test?

I'm pretty sure that Alberta and Saskatchewan have swap programs, I'm not sure about the rest.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Manitoba does. I swapped somewhere else myself, but Scrimdarren has said on here it was quick and easy to swap his GB license.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:01 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

we had to sit new tests and get our new licences in Nova Scotia, but when we went to hand in our English ones, the girl behind the counter said "we don't need those, do we?"
so.......still got them (in a box somewhere)
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:02 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I'm pretty sure that Alberta and Saskatchewan have swap programs, I'm not sure about the rest.
Yeah! Alberta just swapped ours - I was told I would have to retake bike test one day and then when I went to swap licence they just swapped it all. (Have heard that bike test is really easy - along the lines of keeping the bike upright whilst moving )
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
we had to sit new tests and get our new licences in Nova Scotia, but when we went to hand in our English ones, the girl behind the counter said "we don't need those, do we?"
so.......still got them (in a box somewhere)
Can anyone tell me, if we land in Ontario and exchange licences there and then subsequently move to Nova Scotia, and swap our Ontario licences for Nova Scotia ones, does this get around having to retake our driving tests?

I think it does, but it would be nice to hear confirmation.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 4:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Can anyone tell me, if we land in Ontario and exchange licences there and then subsequently move to Nova Scotia, and swap our Ontario licences for Nova Scotia ones, does this get around having to retake our driving tests?

Biiiiink or Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink or whoever she is, did that.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yeah! Alberta just swapped ours - I was told I would have to retake bike test one day and then when I went to swap licence they just swapped it all. (Have heard that bike test is really easy - along the lines of keeping the bike upright whilst moving )
When I swapped my license in Ontario, I was swapping from an Alabama license which automatically includes motorcyles. So I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license for Ontario too although I have never even sat on a bike much less driven one! I got a laugh out of that one.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Duncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant future

>Also, if someone is blind in one eye (no restrictions on UK licence) is this >likely to be a problem in any particular province?

Here in BC, when I take the sight test, I take off my glasses which
correct astigmatism. I have no trouble passing with my left eye but
I can't pass with my right. My license is unrestricted as you only need sight
in one eye for the normal BC license.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:59 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C

yes it does, we were thinking of doing that, but worked out cheaper just to take the Nova Scotia test. easy too, basically driving in a straight line, and remembering to STOP at stop signs, not the 'British stop' which is coasting up, and going if it's clear