Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence - Provincial Differences?

Driving Licence - Provincial Differences?

Old Dec 10th 2006, 10:35 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence - Provincial Differences?

Originally Posted by kt0157
"You need to prove you have held a licence for at least 24 months".
Lethargic self important morons (I hear their cries, "I am important, the entire world, nay univese, revolves around me") can keep convincing themselves they can beat the system

I'll sit back with a cold one and watch the train wrecks unfold

Rich.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote from same page:

"You need to prove you have held a licence for at least 24 months".

K.
Thanks, I hadn't noticed. So it seems we are back to square1?
Old Dec 10th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Just reading this and was wondering if any of you can help. We are here in Edmonton and husband is on a 12 mth work permit, I have a 12 mth visitors visa. My husband can just swap his GB licence for an Alberta one as long as he does it within the 90 days, Can I swap mine on a visitors visa or do I have to have WP or permanent res to do this. I have been told it could be a problem for me to get a licence??
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

Swapping ON licence with BC one is possible if you can provide proof of driving experience for 24 months from your UK driving record detailing the length of time you have been licensed for.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:06 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
Swapping ON licence with BC one is possible if you can provide proof of driving experience for 24 months from your UK driving record detailing the length of time you have been licensed for.
Here's another wannabee train wreck
So are you saying that the person needs to demonstrate 24 months ON license holder or 24 months UK license holder ?

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Dec 11th 2006 at 12:11 am.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
I don't have my ON one anymore obviously but I'm certain it stated my *GB* start date. Can anyone confirm, anyone swapped recently?

If that's the case, there shouldn't be a problem (assuming the GB one has been held >24mths).

I know for certain that info was stored somewhere on the ON because when I came to swap it for an MB one in turn, they knew exactly when I'd passed my GB test, i.e. what was allowed to be an accompanying driver for a learner... so my ON one didn't start the date I got it, if you see what I mean
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Here's another wannabee train wreck
So are you saying that the person needs to demonstrate 24 months ON license holder or 24 months UK license holder ?

Rich.
you need a proof of at least 24 months UK driving experience together with ON license (held for less than 24 months).
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Booo is a jewel in the roughBooo is a jewel in the roughBooo is a jewel in the roughBooo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Just reading this and was wondering if any of you can help. We are here in Edmonton and husband is on a 12 mth work permit, I have a 12 mth visitors visa. My husband can just swap his GB licence for an Alberta one as long as he does it within the 90 days, Can I swap mine on a visitors visa or do I have to have WP or permanent res to do this. I have been told it could be a problem for me to get a licence??
My husband is in the same boat. I am a Canadian citizen so I was able to swap my GB licence for an Alberta one with no problems. My husband on the other hand is waiting for his permanent residence and is here on a visitors visa and has been told he can't swap his until he gets his PR. Strange thing is that our insurance company accepted us with our GB licences on provision that we swap them for Alberta licences within 6 months. It doesn't look like my husbands PR will come through before the time is up but we spoke to the insurance and they said that as long as we can prove he's trying to get it they can extend it on his GB licence.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

from the original link I posted earlier

Proof of driving experience

In most cases, your out-of-province driver's licence is sufficient to show proof of your driving experience.

ICBC uses the Issue Date shown on the licence to calculate the length of time you have been eligible to drive. However, if you've held a licence for 24 months and your out-of-province licence was recently renewed, the Issue Date shown may not be sufficient to indicate you've held a licence for 24 months. In this case, you will need to contact your previous jurisdiction and obtain proof of the length of time you have been licensed.

To me this is perfectly clear: One needs a total of 24 months driving experience whether it be in Canada, the UK, or a combination of both.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:18 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by montreal mike
To me this is perfectly clear: One needs a total of 24 months driving experience whether it be in Canada, the UK, or a combination of both.

Let's wait for someone on here to come along and confirm that they succeeded in this amazing plan

I'm waiting.

Still be waiting next year

Rich.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:32 am
menelty

menelty is an unknown quantity at this point

I am awaiting the paperwork back from London from my PR in ontario. I have read the literature regarding the licencing provided you have 24 months experience. I was driving in the UK for the last 8 years. In addition to my licence I requested a letter from my insurance company to state that I was an insured driver through their company for that duration. Will that be helpful to me?

Can anyone tell me do I have to wait until I am officially landed before I can get an Ontario licence as I have heard several conflicting stories with regards to this?

Thanks for any help,

mike
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:46 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi,
It is true on paper - you have to have driven for 2 years in Ontario first. You might get lucky because the clerk on the desk may be on automatic and just swap the license for you. It happened to friends of ours. They'd been living in Ontario for a short time (3-6 months I think) and then moved here. When the wife went into ICBC they just swapped her license. She was surprised and bright enough to call her husband to get down there right away and swap his too.
More details of the rules at:
http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_renew_replace_new.asp

Warmly,

Frank
No, it won't, because OP wants a BC licence. They won't give him one, even if he has an Ontario licence, because he needs several years of Canadian driving experience in another province before the provincial swap works.

K.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tam Kilmarnock

I'm landing on Toronto in March (then returning to the UK).....but settling in BC in September . I'm thinking there may be a way of getting my Canadian Licence when I land and save the resit...
Why bother?! It's not exactly onerous! 1 hour of driving around, no manouvers, and the examiner just having a nice chat with you about life in general (mine was an opera fan, so we chatted about that mostly!). Don't even need to book an appointment - just turn up at your local ICBC, take the theory (really tricky - just push one of four buttons on the PC screen), then out you go with the examiner.

If the system isn't that hard, why try to beat it...?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:27 am
Who? Me?

Tam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Let's wait for someone on here to come along and confirm that they succeeded in this amazing plan

I'm waiting.

Still be waiting next year

Rich.
Mmmmmm..........thought Biiiiink had done just that?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:33 am
Who? Me?

Tam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't have my ON one anymore obviously but I'm certain it stated my *GB* start date. Can anyone confirm, anyone swapped recently?

If that's the case, there shouldn't be a problem (assuming the GB one has been held >24mths).

I know for certain that info was stored somewhere on the ON because when I came to swap it for an MB one in turn, they knew exactly when I'd passed my GB test, i.e. what was allowed to be an accompanying driver for a learner... so my ON one didn't start the date I got it, if you see what I mean
I think theres no harm in trying it when I land in Toronto, It's not going to do any harm. If they take my GB licence from me there I can apply for a copy back in the UK and take both licenses with me to BC.....that will cover aboth scenarios.

Dunno what the BC driving test is like ? Can anyone let me know? I do know that if I were to sit the current UK test again I would have no chance of passing it.....is the BC test stringent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.