British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Driving Licence - Provincial Differences? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/driving-licence-provincial-differences-412863/)

Tam Kilmarnock Dec 10th 2006 7:02 pm

Driving Licence - Provincial Differences?

Hello Folks,

Okay Doaky so I've already established that I need to resit my car test when I settle in BC. I'm sure that I read somewhere on the forum that some of you have "traded" your UK licence for a Canadian one.

Could someone please let me know what province this was at?and how long it took to get?

I'm landing on Toronto in March (then returning to the UK).....but settling in BC in September . I'm thinking there may be a way of getting my Canadian Licence when I land and save the resit.

Don't know why BC are so picky...my experience driving in BC is that UK drivers are at least on a par with the Canucks. (if not better)

thanks to you all..

montreal mike Dec 10th 2006 7:13 pm

Re: Driving Licence - Provincial Differences?

Originally Posted by Tam Kilmarnock
Hello Folks,

Okay Doaky so I've already established that I need to resit my car test when I settle in BC. I'm sure that I read somewhere on the forum that some of you have "traded" your UK licence for a Canadian one.

Could someone please let me know what province this was at?and how long it took to get?

I'm landing on Toronto in March (then returning to the UK).....but settling in BC in September . I'm thinking there may be a way of getting my Canadian Licence when I land and save the resit.

Don't know why BC are so picky...my experience driving in BC is that UK drivers are at least on a par with the Canucks. (if not better)

thanks to you all..

Since you are coming to toronto this might be your answer.

Quote: Drivers from other Canadian provinces, Canadian Forces-Europe, U.S.A., Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, Great Britain, Austria and Belgium.

2 or More Years of Driving Experience Within the Last Three Years

If you are a licensed driver with two or more years of driving experience from one of these jurisdictions you may get full class licence privileges without taking a knowledge or road test. However, you must pass a vision test and show acceptable proof of your previous licence status and driving experience.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeOutProv.aspx

kt0157 Dec 10th 2006 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Since you are coming to toronto this might be your answer.

No, it won't, because OP wants a BC licence. They won't give him one, even if he has an Ontario licence, because he needs several years of Canadian driving experience in another province before the provincial swap works.

K.

Rich_007 Dec 10th 2006 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by kt0157
No, it won't, because OP wants a BC licence. They won't give him one, even if he has an Ontario licence, because he needs several years of Canadian driving experience in another province before the provincial swap works.

K.

Correctamundo.....BC = Beauracracy Central.

You cannot escape the machinery of government. Prepare for red tape, form filling and inquisitive looks by squinty administrative types. Accept thy fate, try not to change the system, and thus have a happier life.

Rich.

wizzard Dec 10th 2006 8:47 pm

That's the same in most provinces though. When I moved to Ontario it was before you could swap and you had to resit the test and they had the same requirement for 2 years experience even with a Canadian licence from another province before they would swap. It makes sense if you have agraduated system that takes a couple of years to get a full licence, otherwise all the kids would just go on a road trip to the nearest non graduated province get their licence then come back and swap it for a full one. Personally I thin k taking the local test is quite useful as it more fully informs you of the local rules and differences in driving regulations etc.

kt0157 Dec 10th 2006 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by wizzard
Personally I thin k taking the local test is quite useful as it more fully informs you of the local rules and differences in driving regulations etc.

Hmmn. Until/if you fail and go back to the start, not being able to drive in the dark, not being able to drive without a full licence holder. That's going to help your family live in a rural town, isn't it?

K.

Biiiiink Dec 10th 2006 9:32 pm

K.

He should check BC's interprovincial swap regs - I did exactly what the OP is proposing, swapped a GB license in ON on a 48hr visit, then swapped that ON licence for an MB one when we moved over properly. MB's regs were that the license must have been held for 3 or more mths, which I'd had my ON one for by that time. The GB license had only been valid 9mths at the time.

MikeUK Dec 10th 2006 9:38 pm

The GB swap in ON then onto other provinces is common

many say it can't be done, but push comes to shove and you tend to find they didn't try it..

and on the other side I've yet to hear a story where they had a problem when they tried it..

kt0157 Dec 10th 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
He should check BC's interprovincial swap regs - I did exactly what the OP is proposing, swapped a GB license in ON on a 48hr visit, then swapped that ON licence for an MB one when we moved over properly. MB's regs were that the license must have been held for 3 or more mths, which I'd had my ON one for by that time. The GB license had only been valid 9mths at the time.

I suppose an GB->Ontario->BC swap might work. Did look into it and the rules are quite clear: no Ontario->BC swap without 2 years of Canadian driving history. Whether the rules would be followed is another thing. And then whether ICBC would withdraw/deny cover following a rule-breaking licence swap is yet another thing.

K.

kt0157 Dec 10th 2006 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK
many say it can't be done, but push comes to shove and you tend to find they didn't try it..

Ain't that the story of Canada. The rules say X, we do Y, until we do X, but you never know whether we'll do X or Y. Maybe we don't like your face, so we'll do X. Or Y.

K.

Madmac Dec 10th 2006 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by wizzard
That's the same in most provinces though. When I moved to Ontario it was before you could swap and you had to resit the test and they had the same requirement for 2 years experience even with a Canadian licence from another province before they would swap. It makes sense if you have agraduated system that takes a couple of years to get a full licence, otherwise all the kids would just go on a road trip to the nearest non graduated province get their licence then come back and swap it for a full one. Personally I thin k taking the local test is quite useful as it more fully informs you of the local rules and differences in driving regulations etc.

Let's just clarify the Local driving rules in Ontario (South West Stalag):

1. Drive as close to the car in front as possible without being legally joined (try to increase closeness when either ice or snow is present)
2. Weave in and out of traffic erratically without once using indicators (try not to acknowledge drivers you have passed when you meet them 100 yards along the road at traffic junction - yes those two fingers you see are the Scottish version of 'giving the finger')
3. Drift onto gravel trap whenever possible thereby resulting in a sharp turn to the left to correct driving path. Other drivers (especially those coming from the other direction) appreciate your 'free-form' driving technique.
4. Try to drink a Timmies; light a fag (titter ye not); apply lipstick; reach for glove compartment; brush hair simultaneously with correct driving technique
5. Never, ever, ever let someone out into a queue of traffic. Never acknowledge with thanks when someone does this for you.
6. Never slow down when the traffic stops ahead - you are invincible and the two tons of metal you are driving will stop within 25 yards anyway.
7. Turn into oncoming traffic even though they have the lights at the junction. Look mystified when they apply Step 2 (above) to you.
8. Drive onto the rare roundabout like it's the fast lane at the Indy car track. Ignore stop sign/give way sign/instruction sign/the car about to hit you from the left. You can treat this novel traffic construction with contempt because you've only ever seen them in strange European art-house movies.
9. Drive at least 20KMph above any speed limit and at least 40KMph whilst on the 401 - you are part of the herd and must comply.
10. Drive even when you have consumed 6-8 beers and assorted liquor. You are in control and the traffic cops will only ban you for 30 days the first time - 'Bad boy/girl, slap on the wrist and all that' never mind that you ran someone over. It's your right to drive whilst being pissed and you've always done it.

I believe the French are marginally worse in their driving habits but not by much.

kt0157 Dec 10th 2006 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Madmac
4. Try to drink a Timmies; light a fag (titter ye not); apply lipstick; reach for glove compartment; brush hair simultaneously with correct driving technique

You left out "hunt in side door pocket for road toll wireless gizmo to hold up to window when driving under gantry because it never stays stuck to the windscreen and it might not read properly from the door pocket you never can tell don't want to pay the non-gizmo rate for the trip."

K.

Madmac Dec 10th 2006 9:50 pm

You left out "hunt in side door pocket for road toll wireless gizmo to hold up to window when driving under gantry because it never stays stuck to the windscreen and it might not read properly from the door pocket you never can tell don't want to pay the non-gizmo rate for the trip."

K.

Damn - I was too busy changing the CD player with my free left foot at the time to notice. :D

montreal mike Dec 10th 2006 10:23 pm

According to my understanding of this link there should be no problem swapping an Ontario licence

quote:

Canadian, American, Austrian, German, Swiss, Japanese or South Korean driver's licence?

British Columbia has driver licence exchange agreements with these jurisdictions. You may exchange your other licence for an equivalent class B.C. driver's licence (please note that this requires you to surrender your other licence upon application). In most cases, you will not need to take a road test if you hold:

* a Canadian or American passenger car or motorcycle operator's licence, or
* an Austrian, German or Swiss Category B or German Class 3 driver's licence for passenger cars, or
* a Japanese Ordinary driver's licence or a South Korean Class 2 Ordinary driver's licence for passenger cars, or
* a Canadian licence equivalent to a B.C. Class 1, 2, 3 or 4 (commercial) licence

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_re...w.asp#caagsjsk

kt0157 Dec 10th 2006 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by montreal mike
According to my understanding of this link there should be no problem swapping an Ontario licence

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_re...w.asp#caagsjsk

Quote from same page:

"You need to prove you have held a licence for at least 24 months".

K.