Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence after landing but not staying

Driving Licence after landing but not staying

Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving Licence after landing but not staying

Hi again,

Quick question from me about the whole re-taking your driving test for BC licence when on PR status.

The question is, if you "Land" at your POE but intend to return to the UK to finalise things for 3 months or so, does this mean on arrival back into Canada after this time i'll not be able to drive a car until i take my test?

Rich
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence after landing but not staying

I don't think so. As I understand it you have 90 days after you become resident in BC to pass your road test. If all you do is "land" for immigration purposes, have a short vacation then return to the UK you haven't become resident in BC yet. You should have 90 days after you move here to live.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Hi again,

Quick question from me about the whole re-taking your driving test for BC licence when on PR status.

The question is, if you "Land" at your POE but intend to return to the UK to finalise things for 3 months or so, does this mean on arrival back into Canada after this time i'll not be able to drive a car until i take my test?

Rich
You might want to check with ICBC as my understanding is that it is 90 days from gaining PR.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.....i'm popping over in June/July for a bit (probably won't have PR by that time) so will pop into the local ICBC office and see what's what.

Thanks so much for the info

Rich
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You might want to check with ICBC as my understanding is that it is 90 days from gaining PR.
I'm unclear how being a PR automatically makes you a B.C. resident.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:14 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Also note that each ICBC office is tending to dive out different info at the mo!!
am on a TWP and was told 6 months at the Commercial Drive office - and have had that put into the system and on my UK licence - - - BUT someone else was told 90 days!
My Driving instructor confirmed 90 days pr and 6 months twp to me - but hey ho!!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Hi again,

Rich
You might want to consider taking the driving test. When I arrived in Toronto I took the driving test in the first week that I arrived.....and passed! I know that times have changed over the past 10 years but I certainly thought that it was easier then the UK test. Before everone gets out of there tree....you do not have to take the test in Ontario on the exchange program now....anyway....perhaps you might consider that the driving test is easier to schedule then the UK and if you are a good driver then it is not a problem......getting insurance at at reasonable rate is a whole other issue.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
You might want to consider taking the driving test. When I arrived in Toronto I took the driving test in the first week that I arrived.....and passed! I know that times have changed over the past 10 years but I certainly thought that it was easier then the UK test. Before everone gets out of there tree....you do not have to take the test in Ontario on the exchange program now....anyway....perhaps you might consider that the driving test is easier to schedule then the UK and if you are a good driver then it is not a problem......getting insurance at at reasonable rate is a whole other issue.
Hmmm the test is easier eh? Try telling my wife that. She is an excellent driver and has driven for 25 years but failed the BC test twice. As for the 90 days. It is as stated above 90 days after becoming resident. However how would they know you are resident if you land then return to the UK? We landed in Calgary last May and became resident in BC the following August. The only way ICBC know you are "resident" is if you get insurance or apply for a license.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

does'nt BC enable you to do a straight swap for licences?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw that you cannot do a straight swap- that sucks- they brought that in to Ontario just after we went through the testing period!!