Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving: Lethbridge - Vancouver

Driving: Lethbridge - Vancouver

Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

DandKW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving: Lethbridge - Vancouver

I have been reading the boards for some time but have never posted, as our plans to move to Canada have never really got past the discussion stage. My OH views it as too daunting a step - never mind, I'll just have to make do with holidays!

We are planning to visit Alberta and BC in July and after spending some time with elderly relatives in Lethbridge intend to drive to Vancouver. I have used several different websites to obtain directions for the drive and they all seem to advise one of three different routes:
  1. Up to Calgary then via highway 1.
  2. Straight across on highway 3.
  3. Down into the US, across and then up to Vancouver.
I was wondering if anyone had driven from Lethbridge to Vancouver and could recommend which route to take. We won't be in any particular rush and are looking to break the journey up a bit with some touristy stuff as we have 3 children to keep occupied.

Thanks

DW
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving: Lethbridge - Vancouver

Take #3 for sure.

It is quite a historic route (at least for Canada). There is plenty to see along #3. But don't stick to it completely.

Go to Nelson. And a bit north of there. Actually, I'd spend quite a bit of time exploring the West Kootenays in general. Did a lot of that as a kid with my dad.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

That was the route that I was thinking myself but having no knowledge of the surrounding area wanted to obtain some advice before doing any more planning.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite places to check out along the route:

Sparwood

Nelson

Ainsworth Hot Springs

Kaslo

SS Moyie - in Kaslo

Sandon - a must see

and

Greenwood

Rossland

Last edited by rwin; Feb 20th 2008 at 3:14 pm. Reason: Should have added Rossland
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rwin
Thanks, again.

I hadn't heard of some of these places. They will certainly give us something to do en-route.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with rwin. #3 is the way to go.

As you will be driving almost past the front door, stop off for a tasting at the Nk'Mip winery in Osoyoos. If you enjoy it try not to think too much about the hundred other wineries just to the north, otherwise you might never make it to Vancouver.

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 20th 2008 at 5:32 pm. Reason: speeling
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I agree with rwin. #3 is the way to go.

As you will be driving almost past the front door, stop off for a tasting at the Mk'Mip winery in Osoyoos. If you enjoy it try not to think too much about the hundred other wineries just to the north, otherwise you might never make it to Vancouver.
I might have to persuade my OH to take the wheel at this point then!