Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving into the US - British Passport

Wikiposts

Driving into the US - British Passport

Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Driving into the US - British Passport

Oh, and 'sweeties' - love it! :-) Don't hear that term much since we've moved here, except when we say it :-)
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

We always pay by credit card at the border and in most shops. Some shops near the border even take Canadian debit. But it's never wrong to take a bit of cash. Just to be safe.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:20 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
Lol I better try and get exact change then!

Yea, I usually take a little but on recent trips I haven't. I take cash out any ATM (that accepts mastercard) with my UK credit card as soon as I arrive at one, as that gives me the best rates I could possibly get.

If there's nothing in the house that I've kept, I may go to my local bank here to get out a token amount before going.

Thanks again,

Graham.
Fairly likely your local McDonalds or Tim Hortons will have some USD on hand. Might convert it for your CAD if you ask nicely
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

Oh well, will see when we're there if they accept card. If not, will make sure I have some cash.

Never thought about the Tim Horton's / McDonald's idea. Could certainly give them an ask.

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:21 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Also make sure they are bills. I tried paying with a $5 US bill and $1 US coin, and that did not fly - had to ask someone to swap a $1 coin for a $1 bill.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow, this sounds like paying is the most difficult part!

We do have some USD, but only $50 bills, lol. Certainly don't want to lose the change from that.

There will be my wife and I, so I assume we can pay the $12 together, via a $10 and two $1's (all bills), rather than splitting it out? Worst case I wan't to get my hands on $15 and accept the loss of $3 if necessary!

So will my local bank carry bills as low as $1? Typically for FX transactions back in the UK, they'd only give $10 or $20 bills minimum.

We stay in Ajax - do you think the Tim's round the corner will have USD as someone suggested, or would I be better asking my wife to go to the MCD's or Tim's in downtown where she works?

This is a pain!

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
Also make sure they are bills. I tried paying with a $5 US bill and $1 US coin, and that did not fly - had to ask someone to swap a $1 coin for a $1 bill.
Why is US legal tender not valid in the US?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
Wow, this sounds like paying is the most difficult part!

We do have some USD, but only $50 bills, lol. Certainly don't want to lose the change from that.

There will be my wife and I, so I assume we can pay the $12 together, via a $10 and two $1's (all bills), rather than splitting it out? Worst case I wan't to get my hands on $15 and accept the loss of $3 if necessary!

So will my local bank carry bills as low as $1? Typically for FX transactions back in the UK, they'd only give $10 or $20 bills minimum.

We stay in Ajax - do you think the Tim's round the corner will have USD as someone suggested, or would I be better asking my wife to go to the MCD's or Tim's in downtown where she works?

This is a pain!

Thanks,

Graham.
It's not complicated. You go to the bank. You say "$50 US in small bills, please". They give you the money. You pay them in Canadian or UK money. If the first bank doesn't have the right change try the one across the road.

At the border they will have change for $10, perhaps $20, they won't want to deal with fifties or hundreds; just like any shop or other cash transaction. They won't want weird shit Susan Bs and the like so just give them approximately the right money in reasonably appropriate bills. If you can buy a Mars bar you can pay for an I94.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks.

All good. Just called my local bank who will swap my $50's for smaller notes. Shall see if I can go today.

Graham.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:48 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

yet again it astounds me how our forefathers made the transatlantic crossing to a new life without internet support
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We have usually paid by credit card at border control and not bothered about getting US dollars until over the border and at the first ATM we happen to stop at. Not ever had a problem with using our Canadian credit or debit cards
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
you can keep the green formn thingy in your passport and reuse it if you plan on travelling within the next 90 days. If not you need to ASK them to take it out your passport when you return. If it gets left in it can become a bit of a pain because then you have to prove that you left
And remember that the "them" on the way back are the Canadian customs/immigration officers - not the US ones!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Piff Poff - we've got all bases covered now anyway. Will try use my card(s) first, out of interest. If not, have USD as backup.

Thanks MarylandNed as well - shall make sure not to get them confused! They may take offence :-)
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Linlaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been reading the thread, picked up some good tips thanks! Just one question if anyone can help, I heard recently that some friends had difficulty getting across because they didn't have a certain passport, I think it's the one with the chip or has reference to finger print or eye laser ID. Do you know anything about this?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Linlaz
I've been reading the thread, picked up some good tips thanks! Just one question if anyone can help, I heard recently that some friends had difficulty getting across because they didn't have a certain passport, I think it's the one with the chip or has reference to finger print or eye laser ID. Do you know anything about this?
My wife has the biometric passport as hers is newer. I just have the normal one, ie not biometric. No issues with either.

Graham.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.