Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving into the US - British Passport

Wikiposts

Driving into the US - British Passport

Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Driving into the US - British Passport

Hi all,

Just wanted to double check this.

We're headed to the states for a week skiing on Saturday. We'll just be driving over the border. We're in Canada on TWP's at the moment, and are British Citizens with British Passports.

I don't think I've ever driven into the states before (been on plane and ferry).

I assume I don't need to do anything different? We've filled out the ESTA online, and have the printouts of that. We'll have our British passports, Ontario driving license (which show our address), and the address of where we'll be staying in the states (a friend's house, so no hotel booking).

Do we need to do anything else, or bring anything else?

What is the procedure? Just arrive and presumably get stopped to go do the usual finger print stuff, etc.?

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:11 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving into the US - British Passport

ESTA is only for air crossing , you don't need it for land border.
you pull up at the crossing , they send you to the immigration building ,
you do the finger prints etc. pay $6 ( best to take cash)
process itself is quick but depends on how many people are in front of you
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

Hey,

Thanks for the response.

Ah, didn't realise ESTA was only air. Oh well, I've already filled it out! :-)

I thought the $6 thing was just for Canadians, or Canadian PR's?

I'm happy enough to do the $6 process. I assume that happens every time I drive into the US and will be for both of us?

So aside from my passport (and driving license & address of where we're going), we don't need to take anything else?

Any particular queue, or is it quite obvious?

As for coming back, do we need to pay anything or is it straightforward?

On the note of taking cash, does this need to be USD, or is $6 CAD they want?

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:34 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

its for people who are travelling under the VWP, so depends on your citizenship

Canadian citizens don't need ESTA or the I94W thingy

$6 each should be US. I'd make sure you have proof of your status in Canada , PR card or TWP

We did it once at Niagara crossing , no big hassles

you can keep the green formn thingy in your passport and reuse it if you plan on travelling within the next 90 days. If not you need to ASK them to take it out your passport when you return. If it gets left in it can become a bit of a pain because then you have to prove that you left
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

Yea, I figured it shouldn't really be a hassle for British citizens.

Our TWP's are stapled inside our passports, so will have them with us.

Thanks for the tip on asking them to take it out - I'll try and remember that!

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:45 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians pay nothing. $6 is for the I94W that brits need (temp green card). Remember to hand it back on leaving unless you plan more travel in the 6 months.

Its a pain, you may have to hang around to do the paperwork, you may not, depends on the border post and how busy they are. Have US cash.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucky Canadians!

Travel within the next 6 months? I know Zoe had said 90 days? Just wanting to check as we might be going to the states again within the next 6 months, but unlikely within the next 90 days.

Any particular border posts to avoid? We'll be heading up to the north east side of Lake Ontario to do the crossing into New York state, and then through to Vermont.

The US cash could be a problem... Don't think I have any, lol. Will that cause a big issue, or can I pay by mastercard in USD?

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
Lucky Canadians!

Travel within the next 6 months? I know Zoe had said 90 days? Just wanting to check as we might be going to the states again within the next 6 months, but unlikely within the next 90 days.

Any particular border posts to avoid? We'll be heading up to the north east side of Lake Ontario to do the crossing into New York state, and then through to Vermont.

The US cash could be a problem... Don't think I have any, lol. Will that cause a big issue, or can I pay by mastercard in USD?

Thanks,

Graham.
Take US cash. And it's 90 days.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok, thanks.

Hmm, shall have to have a look around the house to see if I have any USD from previous trips. If not, a trip to the bank will be in order!

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:16 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks.

Hmm, shall have to have a look around the house to see if I have any USD from previous trips. If not, a trip to the bank will be in order!

Thanks,

Graham.
Also remember to hand your green slip back to Canadian Customs when you return, if it won't be needed again.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:21 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My mistake, 90 days. I hear some take credit cards now too, but Im not sure its universal, so cash is safer.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 26th 2013 at 4:02 am.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again all, much appreciated.

Shall get searching for USD when I get back home.

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

The last time i crossed i was working on the USA side of the Border crossing(building new custom shed ,delivering load o redi mix)aprox 20ft into the USA.
What a palaver my company gave me $10 us bill to pay for my i94.....well the officers had no change ,,,so pay by credit card says officer 1 ,,,me all ive got is the $10 note...25mins later.looked like i was going to be refused entry till the big shot on site from the Corp of Enginers stormed in asking the staff what the hell was the hold up after a bit of ummm & ehhhh was told to get in and unload .
went back in after washing out(as they held on to my passport) and was handed my $10 back and told next time bring correct amount..
Wont repeat what the Canadian officers said ...lol.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:47 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky Canadians!

Thanks,

Graham.
I would never enter the USA without some US cash in my pocket. While your Canadian/UK credit card will work for most occasions there are situations where it could be a cash would be more appropriate such as buying a can of pop or sweeties/crisps etc.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Lol I better try and get exact change then!

Yea, I usually take a little but on recent trips I haven't. I take cash out any ATM (that accepts mastercard) with my UK credit card as soon as I arrive at one, as that gives me the best rates I could possibly get.

If there's nothing in the house that I've kept, I may go to my local bank here to get out a token amount before going.

Thanks again,

Graham.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.