Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Jun 16th 2021, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Squamous is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Driving in Canada

I understand UK driving licences are recognised in Canada - how about if you have 3 or 6 penalty points - do they transfer over too?
Old Jun 16th 2021, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada

I don't believe they do. I would check the official website in the Province as they have details about swapping over licences. You may need to ask that specific question if not in the FAQ sections of the website.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 2:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Important point to note. Driving licences, as with most things in Canada, are managed/issued by a particular province. There is no such thing as a "Canadian" driving licence. So check online with the province that you are thinking to move to. (Google "Department of Motor Registration" + Proivnce Name)
Old Jun 16th 2021, 3:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squamous
I understand UK driving licences are recognised in Canada - how about if you have 3 or 6 penalty points - do they transfer over too?
Insurance companies don't care about points from outside the US or Canada. You may not believe that when you get a quote.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 2:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

I believe from your other post you may be going to Nova Scotia - ..
https://novascotia.ca/sns/paal/rmv/paal269.asp - see group 3

You might find our wiki helpful https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...Licence-Canada and https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...surance-Canada
Make sure you take a photocopy of your original UK license as they will take it from you when you exchange.. and you may want a record of the original number..
Get a copy of your drivers extract and letters confirming you have made no claims on your insurance (to help reduce insurance cost) before you move over.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 19th 2021 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Insurance companies don't care about points from outside the US or Canada. You may not believe that when you get a quote.
Last time I was over I was talking to a woman and she told me she had just had a $4000 repair on her car caused by a deer collision. She said it was OK because there was no deduction for "wildlife claims" I thought oh that's OK but then she told me what her premium was - wow!
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Last time I was over I was talking to a woman and she told me she had just had a $4000 repair on her car caused by a deer collision. She said it was OK because there was no deduction for "wildlife claims" I thought oh that's OK but then she told me what her premium was - wow!
Just wait till you see the price of non domestic cheese. Not all Provinces are the same when it comes to insurance either as some you can shop around and others is Govt run so only 1 choice.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 7:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
My deer collision cost about that. I didn't claim for fear of increased premiums.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My deer collision cost about that. I didn't claim for fear of increased premiums.
I was told by a collision repair place that $5k was the cutoff at which you should think about claiming as opposed for just coughing up the repair costs yourself.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 12:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I was told by a collision repair place that $5k was the cutoff at which you should think about claiming as opposed for just coughing up the repair costs yourself.
That sounds about right to me. I always take the highest available deductible, there's no point in paying for that first five grand in coverage if it's never going to be used.

It's a complicated calculation though as adverse rating criteria compound. if you're only going to have one claim, have no convictions and don't live in Brampton, it's possibly worth claiming. I'm confident that I'll always have more high dollar claims and convictions so I don't make matters worse with minor claims or high risk locations.