Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada

a) Think twice before relying on free legal advice from anonymous posters on the internet.
b) I hope that IRL your name is not Karen Turner.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KarenTurner510
12 months. Will still be banned in the UK when I leave Canada, so obviously I won't be driving in the UK upon returning as I will be/am banned from driving in the UK.
So you will have to apply for a new license once your disqualification is over right? Which means that your current license is invalid.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The licence is untouched and has no markings of disqualified or anything else like that on it.
That's strange, normally they would take it off you or have the disqualification entered on your full paper licence.

How did you lose your licence and for how long? Why is your paper licence unmarked?

One of the requirements to exchange an overseas (reciprocal) licence to a Provincial Licence is that your original must still be valid. By signing that it is, you will be lying and if it is discovered (whether through insurance or otherwise) you run a lot of risks.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I came very close to losing my work permit with a deportation order for a little bit of accidental cod poaching - wouldn't like to see what they would do for trying to fraudulently swap a disqualified license for a good one
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
<snipped>
Don't they send your UK license back to the DVLA? So they would just turn around and say 'this isn't valid anymore'..

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 19th 2014 at 6:37 pm. Reason: removed deleted quote
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:25 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I have a invalid/fake licence
That'll prove interesting when the province involved sends the licence back to the DVLA who then inform the province of your disqualification/invalid licence.

Let us know how it works out for you...
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have been banned from driving. What happens next?

As soon as the Court imposes a ban, you are disqualified with immediate effect. The Court will retain your driving licence and send it to the DVLA with confirmation of the period of disqualification.
From a practical point of view, you must notify your insurers of the disqualification. If they are unaware of a ban, they could refuse to indemnify if any claim is made for your vehicle during the period of the ban, even though you are not using the vehicle.

When the ban expires, if the disqualification was less than 56 days, the DVLA will return your driving licence. For bans in excess of 56 days, you will need to make a formal application for the licence to be reinstated. This is because the licence will have been automatically revoked and thus will still not be valid, even when the ban has been served.

Details of the disqualification will be endorsed on the licence. If you have not been specifically ordered to retake your driving test, you are allowed to resume driving as soon as the disqualification is completed and your licence returned.
If you were banned, how come you still have your licence - or is it a fake one?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by burks
Don't they send your UK license back to the DVLA? So they would just turn around and say 'this isn't valid anymore'..
Originally Posted by orly
That'll prove interesting when the province involved sends the licence back to the DVLA who then inform the province of your disqualification/invalid licence.

Let us know how it works out for you...

In order for them to return your old license, it is my understanding that they keep it in an archive somewhere.

If privacy laws keep provincial officers from calling to check, well guess what.

Years ago, I traded my BC license for one in Slovakia.
They actually never took my BC card, and I know for a fact they never informed BC. So for a couple of years, I had two licenses.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
In order for them to return your old license, it is my understanding that they keep it in an archive somewhere...
I was told by ICBC that I would need to get my license back via DVLA and not back from them.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
It could happen, yes, but we're talking about multiple government departments and multiple computer systems. I don't think I'd fret about that risk.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in contact with the DVLA since we've been in Canada. Our old licences had been returned to them and they were aware we had moved to Canada. You apply for a replacement licence on return to the UK. If they knew that, I would expect that they have some kind of reciprocal agreement in place.

If you were banned from driving OP, how do you have an unmarked licence?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

I had points on license when I handed it in, it said it on paper part, no questions ask it doesn't apply is what she said, province only not bothered about UK history, so now I have a clean alberta license.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
I had points on license when I handed it in, it said it on paper part, no questions ask it doesn't apply is what she said, province only not bothered about UK history, so now I have a clean alberta license.
Having points is different to having an invalid license though. I actually still have the paper part of my license as I was never asked for it. They only took the photo part.

What is weird though is that a ban of 12 months should had resulted in a forfeiting of her license.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

^^ hmm too true I have had pals on drunk driving and it got took off em and sent out to them when ban was up.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emyrthomas
FOUND THIS TOO!!!!!

If I am disqualified from driving in the UK, will I be able to drive abroad?

If you are disqualified from driving by a court in the UK, this will not affect your right to drive elsewhere in the world, unless the domestic law in the country you are in provides for disqualifications from foreign countries to be recognised in their own.

The UK has an agreement in place with the Republic of Ireland where disqualifications imposed in either state will have effect in the other. In other words, if you are disqualified in the UK, this disqualification will also have effect in Ireland. This is the only agreement the UK has with another country in respect of the mutual recognition of a driving disqualification.

However, in order to drive abroad most countries will insist on you having a valid driving licence. In the absence of a valid driving licence you would be unable to hire a car or drive a car hired by someone else. You would also struggle to obtain insurance.

If you decide to drive abroad whilst you are disqualified in this country, although you will not be committing the offence of driving whilst disqualified, you could be committing the offence of driving without a valid licence. The punishment for this offence will vary from country to country but in most places the punishment is a fine.

If one is disqualified from driving one's licence is not a valid one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.