Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh yes, be aware that there's no concept of lane discipline here, people drive in whichever lane they fancy.
Of course it could be that they're just avoiding the pthaoles!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Canadian drivers are almost without exception the rudest, most ill disciplined bunch I have ever come across!!!!!!!
All I can say to that is...try driving in Mexico! 120' long trucks, army checkpoints, suicidal cab drivers, kamikaze donkeys (and other asses!).

Believe me, Canada is a breeze!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

once hired a car at Frankfurt airport, you leave the terminal building and almost immediately you're on a busy twelve lane autobahn with no speed limits that makes the M25 seem like a kindergarten class

that's scary!!!

Canada, like so many ppl have posted , is a piece of p***

having said that, If/When I get there I'll have to retake the driving test (BC), also a scary prospect!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Canadian drivers are almost without exception the rudest, most ill disciplined bunch I have ever come across!!!!!!!

You need to keep your wits about you,

Also get a sat nav, I found calgary awkward to navigate !
I disagree! I drove to an area and discovered there were no markings on a crossroads, people sat and smiled and waved each other on. Someone told me it was a courteous thing. What?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mags1972
Hi Guys,

Been driving for 17 years in UK but never driven abroad on the other side of the road. In July we head to Lethbridge AB on a recce when I'll be hiring a car, to be honest I'm a little nervous about it, just wondered how any of you guys had found the experience of driving in Canada.
Thinking of driving from Calgary Airport to Lethbridge (about 2 hours), good idea or not???

Big holes in the road and thick snow on the windscreen was a problem for me. Oh and signs written in French but besides that it was great. Be prepared to drive with chin in air or you might miss the lights!!!

I preferred it to driving Liverpool/London and back. Infact i tend to avoid that journey.

Last edited by Patsy; Mar 22nd 2009 at 12:07 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
It's not that Canadians have no lane discipline: there's no fast lane. You can pass, legally, in any lane. There is no express lane.
Legalizing incompetence doesn't excuse it. And anyway, the roads are festooned with "keep right except to pass" signs.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Legalizing incompetence doesn't excuse it. And anyway, the roads are festooned with "keep right except to pass" signs.
I'd hardly say "festooned!"

OTOH:

Canadians think nothing of driving 8 or more hours, and don't have to stop by the side of the road for a cuppa every 90 minutes.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

OTOH:

Canadians think nothing of driving 8 or more hours, and don't have to stop by the side of the road for a cuppa every 90 minutes.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...5B15D-7084.jpg
Thats funny, a little out of date but funny
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

teenwolfofqmrc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mags1972
Hi Guys,

Been driving for 17 years in UK but never driven abroad on the other side of the road. In July we head to Lethbridge AB on a recce when I'll be hiring a car, to be honest I'm a little nervous about it, just wondered how any of you guys had found the experience of driving in Canada.
Thinking of driving from Calgary Airport to Lethbridge (about 2 hours), good idea or not???

i was in calgary last year, driing was fine, just remember that the drivers side of the car should be in the middle of the road!!

one thing that did confuse me was when at a cross junction, with no lights, you must give way to the left and it is one car at a time...kinda like a roundabout but at a junction
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Very rare anyone signals, they just suddenly break and turn.

I think this is a gross exaggeration. It may be the case in NB although I doubt it. In any driving arena there will always be those that do not use turn signals but in my experience in Ontario, most people use turn signals.
For me, the thing i still can't get used to is the fact that lots of north american cars on the road use flashing red break lights as indicators. That catches me out every now and again being used to the flashing amber in europe.

I tend to see that they do signal though. However, they're terrible at merging
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lewis james
i was in calgary last year, driing was fine, just remember that the drivers side of the car should be in the middle of the road!!
Isn't this the same whether you are in a left or right sided driving system? Unless you are driving a foreign car of course.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Ontario traffic law:

"
Where highway divided into lanes

154. (1) Where a highway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic,

(a) a vehicle shall be driven as nearly as may be practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety;

(b) in the case of a highway that is divided into three lanes, a vehicle shall not be driven in the centre lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle where the roadway is clearly visible and the centre lane is clear of traffic within a reasonable safe distance, or in preparation for a left turn, or where the centre lane is at the time designated for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which the vehicle is proceeding and official signs are erected to indicate the designation;

(c) any lane may be designated for slowly moving traffic, traffic moving in a particular direction or classes or types of vehicles and, despite section 141, where a lane is so designated and official signs indicating the designation are erected, every driver shall obey the instructions on the official signs. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 154 (1).
"
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:44 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

OTOH:

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...5B15D-7084.jpg
I remember when we used to drive to blackpool, north wales or southport for the day from manchester. My mother would dutifully ensure that we had enough flasks of coffee, sandwiches, pillows and blankets. It was only just over an hour and half!!

I thought it was the other side of the world when i was growing up!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:52 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty nervous at first, but was ok within a few days....

When you're turning left and the car coming the opposite way is doing the same, they seem to prefer to turn in front of each other rather than behind - are they taught this way?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road

I was driving in Manchester today. A traffic light went red and a car who was still 5 yard before that light accelareted and did pass the traffic light !!!! . This seems to be a commen practise over here. Not too mention those who turn left or right without indicated it.

All to say that there are bad driver everywhere in this world.

At least Canada seems to have wider road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.