Driving in BC

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Juliet C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in BC

Hi

We're moving to Vancouver from England in June as a permanent resident, I know this has probably been posted before but when searching there seemed to be conflicting reports on this.

Is BC part of the driving licence exchange program or will we need to take our test after 3 months?

If BC is part of the exchange program do we have to have our permanent resident card as primary ID before we can swap?

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in BC

Originally Posted by Juliet C
Hi

We're moving to Vancouver from England in June as a permanent resident, I know this has probably been posted before but when searching there seemed to be conflicting reports on this.

Is BC part of the driving licence exchange program or will we need to take our test after 3 months?

If BC is part of the exchange program do we have to have our permanent resident card as primary ID before we can swap?

Thanks
Yes you can exchange, and you'll need a permanent address, PR card, and your UK driving license (i had to provide both paper and photo id card).
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Did you exchange at BC or in Newfoundland and Labrador? I ask because I have read that different states have different rules, and BC won't do it, sorry to be pedantic I just want to be very sure before I give my stressed hubby the news either way!

Last edited by Juliet C; Mar 22nd 2011 at 3:20 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Did you exchange at BC or in Newfoundland and Labrador? I ask because I have read that different states have different rules, and BC won't do it, sorry to be pedantic I just want to be very sure before I give my stressed hubby the news either way!
You exchange licenses in BC.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Juliet, el richo is playing games with his location he is actually in BC or is moving to BC. Either way the information he gave is correct.

Just as a heads up we do not have states in Canada they are provinces, but you already knew that didn't you.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, my location on here isn't entirely accurate. I'm based in BC and you can exchange your license but you'll need the information i mentioned
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Driving in BC

Thanks to you both, of course I new that Steve, head is a bit muddled today as I'm a bit hot, not used to the sun up north!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

karen1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks
we moved to bc as permanent residents 2 and a half years ago, we could use our licence for 3 months and then you have to have a small driving test. If you fail that you have to start at the beginning like all the learners. Which stinks as my husband has been driving since he was 17 and if he failed the test here he would have to start at the beginning like all the learners which means he would not have had a full licence for 3 years. Unless it has changed in the time we have been here, but that is how it worked for us 2 and a half years ago.
But I do know some provinces you can just exchange them if you have a address in that province, ie: someone that you know that lives in that province that doesnt mind you useing their address to do it I hope it helps.You could go on ICBC and it will give you some advice I think yo can also email them and they will tell you.Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen1972
But I do know some provinces you can just exchange them if you have a address in that province, ie: someone that you know that lives in that province that doesnt mind you useing their address to do it I hope it helps.You could go on ICBC and it will give you some advice I think yo can also email them and they will tell you.Good luck
No need for the shenanigans. BC changed its rules last year and now you can just swap your license.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada has provinces not states....
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canada has provinces not states....
Oh do keep up...see post #5
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:46 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yes you can exchange, and you'll need a permanent address, PR card, and your UK driving license (i had to provide both paper and photo id card).
When I swapped mine over the lady behind the counter took both parts of my licence. I know some people have managed to keep hold of the paper part but she was most emphatic that I surrendered it.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:16 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

To be clear: there is no need for retesting. It's just paperwork.
Also, before you go, get photocopies/scans/photos of the UK Photocard and Paper Counterpart (although I still have my paper counterpart, wasn't asked for it)
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Oh do keep up...see post #5
Doh, read through the replies too fast...
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:47 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Is alberta part of a straight swap for license?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.