Driving in BC

Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice
Default Driving in BC

Do BCers use winter tyres, like everybody else in Canada?

Just curious...
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in BC

I haven't seen much evidence of snow tyre use in BC's lower mainland. This winter has been the worst for 10 years, and everything ground to a halt on various days. My company even issued paid snow days as so many staff couldn't get to work.

Buses stopped running and schools closed. People from Toronto (or anywhere else in Canada) were surprised how badly some parts of BC were affected.

Of course, there are places in BC where snow is the norm. People living in the middle and northern parts of BC are well accustomed to snow.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Of course, there are places in BC where snow is the norm. People living in the middle and northern parts of BC are well accustomed to snow. [/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
Yes, sorry, what I meant was "people from GVA", not "people from BC".
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:23 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat

Just curious...

This past year, it would have been advisable. I can do a mean sno-donut in a Sienna though!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:54 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious...
First snowfall sees long lineups for snow tires, so I guess people do - in the lower mainland, I mean. I've only ever used all-seasons, but I must admit this winter was wicked and I did think about changing to snows. But I have 4WD, and I drive with caution not like many idiots with SUVs who think they are invincible and invariably end up in ditches.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think it was worth it in that bit of BC, unless you are driving to the ski areas very frequently. Winter tires are in there element in extreme cold where regular rubber goes hard, and although it has snowed out west, its never seen those Saskatchewan deep freeze temps.

Even in Ontario, with all the snow and ice we got recently I still make it around fine on all seasons. If money were no object Id have snows too as they will help stop in a hurry (so you get hit from behind, rather than hit from the front ), but its not been enough of a problem to drop $1k on yet.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 6th 2007 at 3:12 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:17 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I wouldnt think it was worth it in that bit of BC, unless you are driving to the ski areas very frequently.

Even in Ontario, with all the snow and ice we got recently I still make it around fine on all seasons. If money were no object Id have snows too as they will help stop in a hurry (so you get hit from behind, rather than hit from the front ), but its not been enough of a problem to drop $1k on yet.
We have them on the van (seemed to be fitted when we bought it - so will have to get all seasons when the weather improves ) and they seemed no different to 'normal' tyres when driving in the snow. Then again, I don't drive like most of the headcases around here i.e., at 70Km/ph in whiteout conditions.

Please note that snow tyres:

1. Don't make you invincible and invulnerable in the snow
2. Won't make 1 iota of a difference when you brake on black ice - you'll still skid serenely into that pick-up in front or gracefully over onto the oncoming traffic lane (I can testify to this one)
3. Still do impressive wheel spins when trying to drive up a driveway that's on a slope.

Drive carefully.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
We have them on the van (seemed to be fitted when we bought it - so will have to get all seasons when the weather improves ) and they seemed no different to 'normal' tyres when driving in the snow. Then again, I don't drive like most of the headcases around here i.e., at 70Km/ph in whiteout conditions.

Please note that snow tyres:

1. Don't make you invincible and invulnerable in the snow
2. Won't make 1 iota of a difference when you brake on black ice - you'll still skid serenely into that pick-up in front or gracefully over onto the oncoming traffic lane (I can testify to this one)
3. Still do impressive wheel spins when trying to drive up a driveway that's on a slope.

Drive carefully.
What brand are they? Sounds like yours suck to be honest.

I agree they wont make you invincible, but steering and braking were both huge improvements on the wifes car (Goodyear Ultragrips), and even on glare ice they will slow you down if you arent going too fast to start with. The skidding threshold is a lot higher on the winter rubber.

However, in Vancouver for the number of days it will be an advantage, its just not worth it, and on the rest of the warm wet winter days the handling performance and increased tire wear will be a disadvantage.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 6th 2007 at 3:24 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:25 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

What brand are they? Sounds like yours suck to be honest.

I agree they wont make you invincible, but steering and braking were both huge improvements on the wifes car (Goodyear Ultragrips), and even on glare ice they will slow you down if you arent going to fast to start with. The skidding threshold is a lot higher on the winter rubber.

However, in Vancouvewr for the number of days it will be an advantage, its just not worth it, and on the rest of the warm wet winter days the handling performance and increased tire wear will be a disadvantage.
Funnily enough they are Goodyear Ultragrips as well. Must be my Arton Senna driving stylee then?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:29 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Madmac
Funnily enough they are Goodyear Ultragrips as well. Must be my Arton Senna driving stylee then?
Maybe, or maybe they have just worn through the sticky fancy surface layer of rubber and are into the regular stuff below?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:39 pm

Maybe, or maybe they have just worn through the sticky fancy surface layer of rubber and are into the regular stuff below?
Good point. Must have a look tonight and see. They didn't seem that worn when I last looked but I know as much about tyres as I do about Quantum Theory.

In any case I agree that the normal weather conditions in the lower mainland of BC would make the use of dedicated winter tyres somewhat of an expensive indulgence. I would have thought tyres that displace large quantities of surface water would be much more appropriate?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Just curious...
Its chaos in the snow, its worth mentioning that ICBC would hold you liable if you crash in snowy conditions (with out snow tyres) even if you are faultless.

Last edited by Hudman; Mar 6th 2007 at 7:11 pm. Reason: Stupidity
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:52 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hudman
Its chaos in the snow, its worth mentioning that ICBC would hold you liable if you crash in snowy conditions (with out snow tyres) even if you are faultless.
I once heard that in order to drive on the Trans-Canada Highway anywhere in BC in the winter months you must have either winter tires or all season radials.

Is this true?