Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving and all that..

Driving and all that..

Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:21 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Driving and all that..

So I have moved to Alberta and will soon be converting my UK driving license into an Albertan one. Since theres a reciprocal agreement in place between the UK and Alberta govt: re exchange of driving licenses, the question I have is when you exchange your license do they put the start date of your UK license on your Alberta license or do they issue it as a 'fresh' license. I am interested in this specifically for insurance purposes.

Secondly, everybody talks about Johnson's car insurance here who are known for recognising UK no-claims certificates. Is that the only insurer in Canada that entertains UK driving history or does anyone know of any other insurers who do the same?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:20 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving and all that..

Originally Posted by Edo
So I have moved to Alberta and will soon be converting my UK driving license into an Albertan one. Since theres a reciprocal agreement in place between the UK and Alberta govt: re exchange of driving licenses, the question I have is when you exchange your license do they put the start date of your UK license on your Alberta license or do they issue it as a 'fresh' license. I am interested in this specifically for insurance purposes.

Secondly, everybody talks about Johnson's car insurance here who are known for recognising UK no-claims certificates. Is that the only insurer in Canada that entertains UK driving history or does anyone know of any other insurers who do the same?
The start date is the date you swap your licence and is only valid for 5 years then you have to renew again and the start date is then the date you renew
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:39 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get "no claims" confused with claim free ??

Companies will req a letter stating that you have been claim free for 2 years or more. This letter is usually provided by your previous insurer, at your request and exspence.

Just providing a 9 year NCB is not good enough as NCB can be protected for a fee.!!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:04 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Don't get "no claims" confused with claim free ??

Companies will req a letter stating that you have been claim free for 2 years or more. This letter is usually provided by your previous insurer, at your request and exspence.

Just providing a 9 year NCB is not good enough as NCB can be protected for a fee.!!
Yes I've brought a full detailed letter from my insurer plus a record f my driving history from DVLA so hopefully they'll suffice
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:05 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
The start date is the date you swap your licence and is only valid for 5 years then you have to renew again and the start date is then the date you renew
Thanks. So when the new Canadian insurer asks you how long have you been driving, what do you tell them?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Thanks. So when the new Canadian insurer asks you how long have you been driving, what do you tell them?
Photocopy your licence before handing it in and you can then show them when you obtained your original licence. Plus, if you have your history from DVLA, that will give them all they need.

Insurance companies in Alberta aren't as picky with NCB as insurers in other Provinces appear to be. I was able to get a full discount on the basis of NCB letters only.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo

Novex accepted mine but this was through a broker
Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey

That isn't a 'start date', it is simply the date it was renewed. Think about it, if that was a start date we would all be going back to the starting line every time we renewed our license which isn't the case. Your driving record starts the day you get that license and continues as it is renewed, the clock does not start again.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
A broker accepts documents for an insurer, then passes the information on to the insurance company, who may or may not accept it. A broker is only a sales rep.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:37 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Thank you. Would you mind PMing me his number so I can speak to him please
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:38 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Photocopy your licence before handing it in and you can then show them when you obtained your original licence. Plus, if you have your history from DVLA, that will give them all they need.

Insurance companies in Alberta aren't as picky with NCB as insurers in other Provinces appear to be. I was able to get a full discount on the basis of NCB letters only.
Do you remember which insurer was that?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Do you remember which insurer was that?
Intact via brokerlink
Old Sep 1st 2013, 5:11 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Intact via brokerlink
Thank you Almost Canadian
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Western Finance accepts your UK no claims. I also found them to be among the cheapest. ( in Calgary area)
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:27 pm
Banned

Supermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really niceSupermum1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Western Finance accepts your UK no claims. I also found them to be among the cheapest. ( in Calgary area)
My broker did well with mine too, most tried to quote $500 a month at least year, this one was closer to $100:

His name is Alex now with:
All-risks insurance brokers limited

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.