Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Accross Canada

Wikiposts

Driving Accross Canada

Old May 27th 2010, 9:42 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Accross Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
if you go that way be sure to stop and see the two headed cow and the "Outlaw Sodomy" sign.
Surely there is more than one of those?

My understanding is that the drive through the canadian flatlands has as sort of eerie beauty of its own and that everyone should experience it once... but only once.

I wish I had three weeks plus spare to do it. I am just guessing, but perhaps the OPs reticence to use the shorter US route is related to just having landed and not having PR cards, in which case as long as they have the paper form they probably need not worry when driving across the border.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:46 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Hi all,

just looking for any suggestions on the following.

When we move over for good, hopefully late september, we had the thought that we would quite like to fly in to NS and then drive accross to BC. Allowing ourselves 3 weeks or so if required to see and do stuff along the way.

So has anyone ever done this, or similar, and has any advice/warnings.
And can anyone suggest some places along the way to schedule a visit for? Likewise places that we can avoid.

We will prob try to do the route solely throught canada, rather than venture down to the US.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
If you are going to drive then do the full thing at least you can say you've done it. Which is more than a lot of us here on this site and in Canada as a whole could say.

West of Toronto until you get to just west of Calgary is going to be different than anything you've likely seen before and yes it could be considered boring.

The Rockies and interior B.C. are stunning, I would suggest taking the Trans Canada west from Kamloops and going via the Fraser Canyon rather than the Coquihalla Highway.

A word of warning late September through the mountains (Banff to just west of Revelstoke) may or may not be a bit tricky as you are getting into the beginning of snow season.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:47 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I suppose its the banter and humour that keeps people sticking around as long as they do.

In a ideal world it would be nice if the questions could get answered first before they head off topic into the sunset.
OK. Were it me, I would be tempted to fly from Toronto to Calgary and drive the last bit. I think, although there are interesting bits, it would be a long and rather boring drive overall. I don't know enough about Eastern Canada to comment.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The Rockies and interior B.C. are stunning, I would suggest taking the Trans Canada west from Kamloops and going via the Fraser Canyon rather than the Coquihalla Highway.
I think the OP is planning to settle in Kamloops, so might want to stop driving at that point, LOL!
Old May 27th 2010, 10:02 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh for goodness sake, has a little joking been banned or something? Why not write a wiki article on every feasible 'living in Canada' topic and cut out human interaction altogether. Now that is bullshit, whether it originates from Toronto, Southern Ontario or elsewhere.

I hope the OP enjoys their trip whichever route they take. Now, back on topic...quick.
Old May 27th 2010, 11:44 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Personally not travelled a great deal of Canada (yet) but certainly rate west of Calgary and through the Rockies as lovely. Although very touristy, Banff, Lake Louise and Johnsons Canyon (on the Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise) are always worth a visit. The Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise up to Jasper is a stunning drive with lots of lovely stops at waterfalls etc. Once you're in the Rockies, just about anywhere off the beaten path is a treat! Are you planning to RV your way across or stay at hotels? There's lots of lovely campgrounds throughout the Rockies. Banff has an abundance of hotels and B&Bs too so you'd be spoilt for choice.

All the best.
Old May 27th 2010, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Hi all,

just looking for any suggestions on the following.

When we move over for good, hopefully late september, we had the thought that we would quite like to fly in to NS and then drive accross to BC. Allowing ourselves 3 weeks or so if required to see and do stuff along the way.

So has anyone ever done this, or similar, and has any advice/warnings.
And can anyone suggest some places along the way to schedule a visit for? Likewise places that we can avoid.

We will prob try to do the route solely throught canada, rather than venture down to the US.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I'd do this differently. The best drives in Canada are either near to BC, say across to Calgary, or miles away, such as round Cape Breton. Once in Canada you'll be unlikely to have enough vacation to go anywhere far but could explore BC. I wouldn't use this rare opportunity to see endless amber waves of grain. I'd fly to LA and drive up the PCH. This is the wrong way, you'll be on the land side of the road, but it's one of the world's great drives. I think ploughing across Canada would be a bit of a waste of a chance to do something special.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Have you thought of taking the VIA train, have not done it but I am sure it would be less stressful, just as scenic and save wear and tear on your car....just a thought...
Old May 27th 2010, 12:48 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
My understanding is that the drive through the canadian flatlands has as sort of eerie beauty of its own and that everyone should experience it once... but only once.
We did the drive from BC to NS and day one of the flatlands was fantastic...and then it became spot the grain hopper and then it became PLEASE LET ME SEE A HILL!
Old May 27th 2010, 4:24 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from Georgetown ON to Saskatoon SK last year and I drove my car out. As I had a moderately large wine & spirit collection in the car I opted not to cross the border.

I drove up to Tobermory and took the ferry across Owen Sound. Then on to Sault Ste. Marie, around the north edge of lake Superior to Thunder Bay then out through Manitoba and into Saskatchewan.

I was driving myself (about 6 -7 hour/day) and not rushing, that section took 4 days. NS through to BC would double that at least.
Old May 31st 2010, 2:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

28 years ago we drove from Southern California to Toronto, entering Canada at Saulte St. Marie. (With a six week old baby who became ten weeks old during the journey).

Some years before that we travelled from NY to Los Angeles via New Orleans by train.

The train is better.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

We are toying with the idea of driving from Windsor ON to Vancouver. Hubby has done it from Banff to Toronto, and I have done Windsor to Vancouver on the train and back again, and then driven from Windsor through the states up to Banff and back again.

We won't have a car when we arrive, and won't be buying one as we are moving to downtown Van and our jobs are also in downtown Van so won't need a car. Does anybody know if there are companies where people need their cars driven across the country (because they can't be bothered?)??? I have heard of this but can't find much info.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FStone
We are toying with the idea of driving from Windsor ON to Vancouver. Hubby has done it from Banff to Toronto, and I have done Windsor to Vancouver on the train and back again, and then driven from Windsor through the states up to Banff and back again.

We won't have a car when we arrive, and won't be buying one as we are moving to downtown Van and our jobs are also in downtown Van so won't need a car. Does anybody know if there are companies where people need their cars driven across the country (because they can't be bothered?)??? I have heard of this but can't find much info.

Thanks in advance!
A mate of mine delivered a car from Toronto to somewhere on the west coast, Vancouver I suppose. The snag with it was that he had to drive nine hours a day to meet the delivery schedule, there was no time to do whatever it is one might do, if anything, given time in the middle of Canada.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:26 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

I've driven coast to coast. The drive across the Rockies is great, lots of scenery. Enjoyed the maritimes, empty roads and lots of bendy bits. Around Montreal, not so nice. Praries are great, wide open spaces, anyone who thinks they're boring has the attention span of a gnat. The part I found most uninteresting was the drive across the top of the great lakes. Sure there are views in a few parts, but alot of it has trees right up to the road edge. 20 hour days of driving was pretty wearing too! It's a great drive, if you get the chance, take it.