Reload this Page >

Driver License - Ontario > UK, DUI

Driver License - Ontario > UK, DUI

Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

npm93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driver License - Ontario > UK, DUI

Good Afternoon,

I need a bit of guidance in regards to the Canadian/UK drivers license.
I exchanged my full UK license for an Ontario license in December 2018, this license has since been suspended due to a DUI.

I am returning to the UK at some point within the next month, but I would really like to have the ability to drive. I am pleading guilty at my court case for the DUI this week in Canada, which means they will most likely seek a 1 year driving ban in Canada.

I spoke to the DVLA who advised that they might re-issue a UK license, but it is at their discretion and they would need the original Canadian license to be sent to them (which I don't have because of the ban). They said they might accept an abstract, which I am going to get from Service Ontario today.

I tried to do the 'lost/stolen' process on the DVLA website (it worked for a friend before who genuinely misplaced his Canadian one but returned to the UK) - but it didn't work for me, told me I couldn't use the service because my license had been issued by an international authority.

This is a really difficult one, and I assume not a lot of people have been through it - but any advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver License - Ontario > UK, DUI

Are you returning to the UK permanently?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

That is the plan, decided to go back and take up a new profession in the UK.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am also assuming that when you spoke to the UK authorities you made them aware of the pending DUI charges in Canada?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

I spoke to the DVLA.
Didn't give them any personal info, just asked general questions.

They basically said that because it was in Canada, there is a chance that I could still get my UK license back, but in order to get a re-instated license I would need to provide them with my Canadian license (which I don't have because of the suspension).

I could effectively plead guilty to the DUI and qualify for the reduced sentence program which means I would get my license back in Canada in January 2020 - but this requires an interlock device in my car, mandatory drink driving courses and a hell of a lot of money to be spent to do all of this.
My other option is to transfer my car into someone else's name so I do not own a car anymore in Canada and when they ask me about the interlock device etc I can truthfully say I do not own a vehicle anymore.

It's all very confusing, and over a very stupid situation that I won't get in to, but the crux of the matter is I moved my car less than 100ft in a public space whilst over 80mg.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

But did you reveal to the DVLA that you (might) have a DUI on your license in Canada? If you had got a DUI in the UK you would be doing that same DD course there anyway. Regardless - the UK and Canadian licensing authorities can communicate, so I'd suggest you are honest with them what ever you decide.

https://www.gov.uk/drink-driving-penalties

Not having a vehicle won't preclude you from doing the course - why not just get it over and done with. You will need to have proof that you have sold your vehicle if you want them to believe you no longer own one.

Good luck with the case though - let's hope that the court recognises that you didn't intend to drive on a public road... and accepts your abject grovelling

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 11th 2019 at 9:41 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

My UK licence (the paper part that is still in my possession) expires when I am 65. What is stopping you applying for a new photo card when you arrive back in the UK? if they ask why, tell them you lost it in Canada and don't elaborate on the reason how you lost it.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Danny B
My UK licence (the paper part that is still in my possession) expires when I am 65. What is stopping you applying for a new photo card when you arrive back in the UK? if they ask why, tell them you lost it in Canada and don't elaborate on the reason how you lost it.
1. Except that is most likely that Ontario informed the UK DVLA that your UK driver's license was exchanged for an Ontario one. They will ask you to produce the Ontario one, which you can't.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:28 pm
Banned

They no longer issue "paper parts" - and what you are suggesting would be dishonest.

As PMM mentioned (as did I upthread) the UK and Canada communicate - it would be rather silly to assume nobody would find out. It's really not worth the risk.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 9:27 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
They no longer issue "paper parts" - and what you are suggesting would be dishonest.

As PMM mentioned (as did I upthread) the UK and Canada communicate - it would be rather silly to assume nobody would find out. It's really not worth the risk.
I got my UK paper licence in 1990, I still have it safely stored away here in Canada as it is still valid for me to drive on in the UK according to this article

If you have a paper driving licence

Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence.

I took my BC drivers test in 1994 and I didn't even mention I had a UK licence, the UK have no idea about my BC licence, and vice versa.
My Wife took her BC driving test in 2007 and the Lady behind the counter wasn't at all interested in looking at her UK licence. She didn't even look up when my Wife offered it.
This wasn't an exchange, this was the full road test in BC.

But I agree with everything you said, honesty is the best policy.....sometimes.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 4:32 am
Banned

I got my UK paper licence in 1990, I still have it safely stored away here in Canada as it is still valid for me to drive on in the UK according to this article

If you have a paper driving licence

Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence.

I took my BC drivers test in 1994 and I didn't even mention I had a UK licence, the UK have no idea about my BC licence, and vice versa.
My Wife took her BC driving test in 2007 and the Lady behind the counter wasn't at all interested in looking at her UK licence. She didn't even look up when my Wife offered it.
This wasn't an exchange, this was the full road test in BC.

But I agree with everything you said, honesty is the best policy.....sometimes.

You didn't exchange your UK license, you took the graduated licensing and passed your BC test - which is very different to the OP who did exchange their license. It's like comparing bananas and kiwifruit. Encouraging someone to deliberately lie to a Government Department isn't a good idea, particularly when your circumstances are totally different.

Saying that, did the form you filled out ask you if you had held a drivers license outside of BC - as Ontario does?Are you aware that in some Provinces it's against the law to hold more than 1 license?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle25730125/

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 13th 2019 at 4:35 am.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 2:16 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Saying that, did the form you filled out ask you if you had held a drivers license outside of BC - as Ontario does?Are you aware that in some Provinces it's against the law to hold more than 1 license?
I cannot remember filling out the forms in 1994, but in 2007 my Wife said yes to that question, and was fully expecting someone to keep her UK licence, but no one was interested in it.