Dragons Den

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:25 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Dragons Den

I saw this programme on the BBC - for those into entrepreneurship it's really excellent.

http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dragons Den

For me it is just amusing television, it consists of a panel of "entrepreneurs" who are just bored rich "TV wannabes" especially the scotish guy, the "dragons" spend their time humiliating the hopeful punters with the ideas/inventions.
Originally Posted by Canada2006
I saw this programme on the BBC - for those into entrepreneurship it's really excellent.

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:42 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
For me it is just amusing television, it consists of a panel of "entrepreneurs" who are just bored rich "TV wannabes" especially the scotish guy, the "dragons" spend their time humiliating the hopeful punters with the ideas/inventions.
Not true at all - these guys and woman are brilliant. Yes, sometimes they can be a bit harsh but they know their stuff. I don't know if CBC have the latest version but it is hilarious - you get to see their more human side too. Bet they don't have time to be bored either LOL

This is got to be one of the best shows around. I wish I had some of their business sense... and their money
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:52 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ki76
Not true at all - these guys and woman are brilliant. Yes, sometimes they can be a bit harsh but they know their stuff. I don't know if CBC have the latest version but it is hilarious - you get to see their more human side too. Bet they don't have time to be bored either LOL

This is got to be one of the best shows around. I wish I had some of their business sense... and their money
I agree, they are generally good and you do see the business sense in their decisions.

Just to underline: this is the CANADIAN version, not the imported Brit version.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Dragons Den

"a bit harsh ?" - the "dragons" in the English version are just bored, rather unintelligent guys with huge egos, they snigger and smirk at the punter´s ideas. Bannatyne is absolutely desperate to get on TV , he will do anything, he has tried (and failed) acting, even paid to be on tv dramas etc, it doesn´t say much for "entrepreneurs" when they just want to appear on TV rather than run their companies. i guess that you probably like the other such program with Trump/Alan Sugar too ? It is just good TV, well the first few times you watch it, at least. Personally , i would tell all these jumped up salesmen where to go. The fact that we are discussing such drivel is even a waste of time, it´s all a question of personal taste, i guess

PS I have just realised that you are talking about the Canadian version, apologies

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Oct 3rd 2006 at 12:07 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
"a bit harsh ?" - the "dragons" are just bored, rather unintelligent guys with huge egos, they snigger and smirk at the punter´s ideas. Bannatyne is absolutely desperate to get on TV , he will do anything, he has tried (and failed) acting, even paid to be on tv dramas etc, it doesn´t say much for "entrepreneurs" when they just want to appear on TV rather than run their companies. i guess that you probably like the other such program with Trump/Alan Sugar too ? It is just good TV, well the first few times you watch it, at least. Personally , i would tell all these jumped up salesmen where to go. The fact that we are discussing such drivel is even a waste of time, it´s all a question of personal taste, i guess
It's here, innit, the home of moules frites?

http://www.google.ca/maps?hl=en&lr=&...ct=result&cd=1
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:12 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as I said... sometimes a bit harsh and occasionally downright rude - I wouldn't go on there, but then I don't have and idea I want to get money for from people who have already made theirs through being tough nuts and sensible with their investments.

I cannot stand Alan Sugar or Donald Trump. I would HATE to work with these people but only because I know I haven't got the business accumen that they require (that and I really do think Sugar is an ass)

But yes, all personal taste - I mean, I like Battlestar Galactica and CSI, doesn't mean everyone else has to
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ki76
Yep, as I said... sometimes a bit harsh and occasionally downright rude - I wouldn't go on there, but then I don't have and idea I want to get money for from people who have already made theirs through being tough nuts and sensible with their investments.

I suspect that most people (the smart ones) go on the program for a free 15 min advert of thier product rather than the pittance that the 'experts' offer them for 95% of the business. If I had the chance I certainly would.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:22 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I suspect that most people (the smart ones) go on the program for a free 15 min advert of thier product rather than the pittance that the 'experts' offer them for 95% of the business. If I had the chance I certainly would.
Yes, I would go on for the free advertising too. A do actually think that some of these entrepreneurs have a lot of good advice to give. It's aligned with a lot of standard business practice.

Of course, some of the "contestants" open themselves up for ridicule, haven't done their homework and aren't prepared.

It's good fun through!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

the woman used to own a company called red balloon day or something, you could go hot air ballooning or race care driving and the company went bankrupt! I know cause I bought Paul a day and he never got to go.

I used to fine it to embarrassing to watch I used to feel for the people putting their ideas forward and getting them trampled on by the panel.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:36 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by TheVickers
the woman used to own a company called red balloon day or something, you could go hot air ballooning or race care driving and the company went bankrupt! I know cause I bought Paul a day and he never got to go.

I used to fine it to embarrassing to watch I used to feel for the people putting their ideas forward and getting them trampled on by the panel.
Yes that's true. The other dragons actually bought the company (Red Letter Days). The dragon in question has been replaced by another.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen it but am glad you posted that link as now a large chunk of Armando Iannucci's "Time Trumpet" makes sense to me
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:05 pm
C'est correck

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've never seen it but am glad you posted that link as now a large chunk of Armando Iannucci's "Time Trumpet" makes sense to me
Armando Iannucci's "Time Trumpet"??? Sorry, don't know about that!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Armando Iannucci's "Time Trumpet"??? Sorry, don't know about that!
Very witty spoof nostalgia programme set in 2031, featured "Dragon's Den" heavily and I didn't know what it was...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Trumpet