Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
... But I live 20 miles from London, we're on the tube network, and still I don't see any of this violence, yobbish behaviour ...
Neiither did I, very much, but I think that was largely because I had learnt how to avoid them. Even in a "posh" sleepy commuter town like Berko you were quite likely to get told to **** off by any number of beered up yoof if you ventured out on a Friday or Saturday night. In a very nice accent of course. The money the young people had made it a very attractive town for drug dealers. Having said all this, it wasn't really a factor in my emmigration.

... immigrants taking over, etc, etc,
But this was. IMHO the UK doesn't have enough immigrants. Vancouver has lots and it is a much better place for it.

And I still think that anybody leaving the UK purely to escape perceived negatives is going to get a huge shock when they realise any other country in the Western world has exactly the same problems, and potentially others
I agree completely.

Right, feeling all patriotic now, off to sing the National Anthem whilst drinking tea and eating marmalade...............
Don't forget the warm beer.

Last edited by JonboyE; Nov 3rd 2008 at 4:19 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:42 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

I am really enjoying Canada but I knew before I came that it would never compete with the UK for me.

I will eventually go back and I totally disagree with the people on here that are stating you should be 100% commited to Canada if you want to move over here.

I moved simply because as an electrical engineer in England I could not make ends meat and the decision was solely because we could not afford to live in the UK. Eventually my wife and I will move back, don't ask me when but someday we will.

As for those of you slagging the UK off, well far be it from me to try to convince you otherwise it would be a waste of time because we all have our different experiences, I am certainly not the ruler of thoughts.

I came from Brighton which is known for it's 'gay' population and as much as people seem to think of immigrants/homosexauls as a problem generally it is not the case. Brighton is a very open city and welcomes all it has a lot of immigrants and very little racial tension.

The main problems come from the small minority who tries to force the gay population/immigrants away these people do far more damage to society than those they are trying to be 'rid' of. Canada hosts so many immigrants and generally I would say that there is much less 'hate' crime. Most of the crime found here is mainly due to gang/drug issues rather than people trying to 'correct nature'.

Therefore i would suggest to anyone who reads/hears the age old 'immigrants are causing all of these problems' ask yourself why is it that most major cities in england host an abundance of different peoples and you only get this tension in certain areas? I would suggest that rather than the immigrant communities causing a lot of the troubles perhaps it's the biggots who make these people hide within there homes and make them feel so unwelcome.

Last edited by livermanl; Nov 3rd 2008 at 4:44 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:55 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
I am really enjoying Canada but I knew before I came that it would never compete with the UK for me.

I will eventually go back and I totally disagree with the people on here that are stating you should be 100% commited to Canada if you want to move over here.

I moved simply because as an electrical engineer in England I could not make ends meat and the decision was solely because we could not afford to live in the UK. Eventually my wife and I will move back, don't ask me when but someday we will.

As for those of you slagging the UK off, well far be it from me to try to convince you otherwise it would be a waste of time because we all have our different experiences, I am certainly not the ruler of thoughts.

I came from Brighton which is known for it's 'gay' population and as much as people seem to think of immigrants/homosexauls as a problem generally it is not the case. Brighton is a very open city and welcomes all it has a lot of immigrants and very little racial tension.

The main problems come from the small minority who tries to force the gay population/immigrants away these people do far more damage to society than those they are trying to be 'rid' of. Canada hosts so many immigrants and generally I would say that there is much less 'hate' crime. Most of the crime found here is mainly due to gang/drug issues rather than people trying to 'correct nature'.

Therefore i would suggest to anyone who reads/hears the age old 'immigrants are causing all of these problems' ask yourself why is it that most major cities in england host an abundance of different peoples and you only get this tension in certain areas? I would suggest that rather than the immigrant communities causing a lot of the troubles perhaps it's the biggots who make these people hide within there homes and make them feel so unwelcome.
Whether immigrants are a problem that is open to debate and personal opinion. There are many different types of immigrants around the world who more often than not participate productively in a countries development.

As for people thinking homosexuals being a problem and classifying them along with immigrants this seems a somewhat strange comparison to make??? Can only think of right-wing bigots grouping people like this together.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 3rd 2008 at 5:25 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I moved simply because as an electrical engineer in England I could not make ends meat. Eventually my wife and I will move back, don't ask me when but someday we will.
Very few people can. Butchers mostly.

I immigrated to Canada as a direct result of my wife being either a crypto-commie pinko, a syphilitic or a war criminal. Never been too clear which it was.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:09 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Very few people can. Butchers mostly.

I immigrated to Canada as a direct result of my wife being either a crypto-commie pinko, a syphilitic or a war criminal. Never been too clear which it was.
One of your more amusing posts.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
One of your more amusing posts.
And one of the more truthful.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:24 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Whether immigrants are a problem that is open to debate and personal opinion. There are many different types of immigrants around the world who more often than not participate productively in a countries development.

As for people thinking homosexuals being a problem and classifying them along with immigrants this seems a somewhat strange comparison to make??? Can only think of right-wing bigots grouping people like this together.
I take no political agenda actually...

I personally just think that rather than attack immigrants learn from the societys in england that have little problem accepting people for what they are it makes no odds to me who my next door neighbour is...Unless it's some murderer.

The reason why i used gays as an example is purely because that's where i came from and certain people will treat a gay person much the same way as they treat an immigrant...It's not nice to say but that's the reality.

I would rather have a nice immigrant family living next door than some racist who can't keep that biggotry inside his own head.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:41 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I take no political agenda actually...

I personally just think that rather than attack immigrants learn from the societys in england that have little problem accepting people for what they are it makes no odds to me who my next door neighbour is...Unless it's some murderer.

The reason why i used gays as an example is purely because that's where i came from and certain people will treat a gay person much the same way as they treat an immigrant...It's not nice to say but that's the reality.

I would rather have a nice immigrant family living next door than some racist who can't keep that biggotry inside his own head.
Don`t think anybody is questioning your political agenda.

Also think most people in general don`t mind who their neighbour is as long as they are not problem neighbours (noisy, loud music etc)

Maybe I have missed something, but you have said that you are from Brighton which you state is largely accepting of gays but here you are saying that people there treat both gays and immigrants alike? Or are you referring now to somewhere other than Brighton?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:59 pm
Banned

Don`t think anybody is questioning your political agenda.

Also think most people in general don`t mind who their neighbour is as long as they are not problem neighbours (noisy, loud music etc)

Maybe I have missed something, but you have said that you are from Brighton which you state is largely accepting of gays but here you are saying that people there treat both gays and immigrants alike? Or are you referring now to somewhere other than Brighton?
I'm just trying to say that how come in Brighton there are not the problems that most people here are cursing england for?

Surely it's not that different from all the other cities in the UK the only difference that i could see were the attitudes of the people in Brighton there is not a lot of hatred for anyone whereas you get on a train to london and all you here is racial/homo slurs every other comment...That is why I think England is in the dogs i would rather the emphasis be put on these people rather than the immigration policy.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:09 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I'm just trying to say that how come in Brighton there are not the problems that most people here are cursing england for?

Surely it's not that different from all the other cities in the UK the only difference that i could see were the attitudes of the people in Brighton there is not a lot of hatred for anyone whereas you get on a train to london and all you here is racial/homo slurs every other comment...That is why I think England is in the dogs i would rather the emphasis be put on these people rather than the immigration policy.
I would imagine that Brighton has its own social problems just the same as anywhere else, so I doubt if it some kind of oasis. As for hearing racial/homo slurs on the train...............Well that could be a case of acute paranoia creeping in there

Here for example in Spain, people make racist remarks far more freely than they ever would in the UK.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:14 pm
Banned

I would imagine that Brighton has its own social problems just the same as anywhere else, so I doubt if it some kind of oasis. As for hearing racial/homo slurs on the train...............Well that could be a case of acute paranoia creeping in there

Here for example in Spain, people make racist remarks far more freely than they ever would in the UK.
I also meant working in a London office aswell as jus the train journey itself.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:16 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I also meant working in a London office aswell as jus the train journey itself.
Out of interest are you British or from overseas originally?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:21 pm
Banned

Out of interest are you British or from overseas originally?
I am British
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:25 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I am of Hindustani extraction and I loathe the UK. It's a dirty toilet, innit. The sick man of Europe. (discuss)

I also support flaming gay radicals.

Proceed to flame me at will, you tea drinking public-transport using, uptight hosers.

R.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
[SIZE= 1"] (discuss) [/SIZE]
I think you probably have more than 1 inch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.