Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:24 pm
  #61  
Weirdo Latin Dude
 
Jules Europe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hotter than hell
Posts: 2,545
Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Obviously, if one is in Canada, the thought of a well designed building or a bottle of fine wine at a price one can afford, is overwhelmingly exciting, but one might think that, for a European, such things are humdrum. Surely you don't explode whenever you think of the Sagrada Familia?

Pardon the lag in posting this, the horses were hungry.
They certainly are routine things, but don`t you regard yourself as a European?

I might lag as well because I am about to start the second half against Germany on my XBOX.
Jules Europe is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:31 pm
  #62  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,124
montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by montreal mike View Post
I've been gone some 46 years so I can't really judge

so my question to you is: Why?
chumley .. i am really curious as to why you 'absolutely loath the uk'.
montreal mike is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:36 pm
  #63  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe View Post
They certainly are routine things, but don`t you regard yourself as a European?
That's not a simple question to answer. In short, not any more. I suppose now I'm an almost American. My partner's American, though she'd like to be in Scotland. Two of my three children will eventually be Americans. One child will move "back" to Switzerland but not from choice, just because the healthcare is better there than here. I'd prefer to end my days within grasp of a pint of Young's, but we'll see where the force of history takes us.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:55 pm
  #64  
Weirdo Latin Dude
 
Jules Europe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hotter than hell
Posts: 2,545
Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
That's not a simple question to answer. In short, not any more. I suppose now I'm an almost American. My partner's American, though she'd like to be in Scotland. Two of my three children will eventually be Americans. One child will move "back" to Switzerland but not from choice, just because the healthcare is better there than here. I'd prefer to end my days within grasp of a pint of Young's, but we'll see where the force of history takes us.
If your partner is American and you almost feel American, why don`t you move to America? Or have you got personal reasons for being in Canada such as work, lifestyle or other commitments that maybe stop you moving away?
Jules Europe is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:57 pm
  #65  
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 758
lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
One child will move "back" to Switzerland but not from choice, just because the healthcare is better there than here.
i hope you know what you are talking about... if health care (assuming you are talking about getting it and not working as a health care pro) is the only reason to move to switzerland (which canton?) i personally would think twice about it.
lof is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:07 pm
  #66  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe View Post
If your partner is American and you almost feel American, why don`t you move to America? Or have you got personal reasons for being in Canada such as work, lifestyle or other commitments that maybe stop you moving away?

Work.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:08 pm
  #67  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 34,547
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
It would only take a medical problem requiring heavy drug therapy to make living in Canada less sensible than going home.
This is true.
But sometimes a change of province is a good alternative. We can move from NB to NS and save 80% (currently $280 of $350 a month) of our prescriptions bill and we plan to do that next year.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:15 pm
  #68  
Weirdo Latin Dude
 
Jules Europe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hotter than hell
Posts: 2,545
Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Work.
So work keeps you there in Canada. Out of interest if you were offered a similiar job in the USA would you take it? As I imagine in many respects the lifestyle and climate from the sun belt up to the Canadian border is probably not too different from the lifestyle that you have in Canada now. Also if healthcare is dodgy in Canada where do Canadian retirees like to go?
Jules Europe is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:18 pm
  #69  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by lof View Post
i hope you know what you are talking about... if health care (assuming you are talking about getting it and not working as a health care pro) is the only reason to move to switzerland (which canton?) i personally would think twice about it.
Fribourg.

Is there some particular reason why you think an autistic person, given citizenship of both countries, would be better off in Ontario?
dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:21 pm
  #70  
Binned by Muderators
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,631
JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
But as I said, I clearly live in some parallel universe in the UK to everybody else!
Maybe not a parallel universe, but Amersham is about as far as you can get from the social problems that beset many parts of England.

You are lucky to live in such a good place, but not many have that fortune. I am not for one moment saying that the idyllic life you describe is not real. I used to live over the hill in Berkhamsted so I know enough people in your position. However, the grim life of living amongst grinding poverty and social decay of some parts of the UK is equally real and it is understandable that many people who can escape that will want to do so.

My qualification for this comment is that I was born and brought up in a North Eastern pit village where the pit closed down. I've seen my fair share of social decay in the UK. Again, I am not saying that grinding poverty and social decay doesn't exist in Canada, because it does. But, the British immigrant is, almost by definition, going to be someone with readily employable skills so they are unlikely to see this side of Canada except through a car window.

dbd33 often says that one of the great advantages for Brits emigrating to Canada is the one off boost in wealth they get with the exchange rate. It means they can live in a much more prosperous area here than they would ever be able to afford back in the UK. There is a lot of truth in this.
JonboyE is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:25 pm
  #71  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe View Post
So work keeps you there in Canada. Out of interest if you were offered a similiar job in the USA would you take it? As I imagine in many respects the lifestyle and climate from the sun belt up to the Canadian border is probably not too different from the lifestyle that you have in Canada now. Also if healthcare is dodgy in Canada where do Canadian retirees like to go?
Typically Canadian retirees spend half of the year (less a day) in the US. They want warmth and to retain their state funded healthcare.

I don't see that there's any difference in ordinary life between the US and Canada so, sure, if all things were equal I'd be in Alabama.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:26 pm
  #72  
Weirdo Latin Dude
 
Jules Europe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hotter than hell
Posts: 2,545
Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by JonboyE View Post
Maybe not a parallel universe, but Amersham is about as far as you can get from the social problems that beset many parts of England.

You are lucky to live in such a good place, but not many have that fortune. I am not for one moment saying that the idyllic life you describe is not real. I used to live over the hill in Berkhamsted so I know enough people in your position. However, the grim life of living amongst grinding poverty and social decay of some parts of the UK is equally real and it is understandable that many people who can escape that will want to do so.

My qualification for this comment is that I was born and brought up in a North Eastern pit village where the pit closed down. I've seen my fair share of social decay in the UK. Again, I am not saying that grinding poverty and social decay doesn't exist in Canada, because it does. But, the British immigrant is, almost by definition, going to be someone with readily employable skills so they are unlikely to see this side of Canada except through a car window.

dbd33 often says that one of the great advantages for Brits emigrating to Canada is the one off boost in wealth they get with the exchange rate. It means they can live in a much more prosperous area here than they would ever be able to afford back in the UK. There is a lot of truth in this.
Think you will find most people coming from a European country who are home owners will get that one off boost when moving to North America. Only issue today though, seems to be the housing crisis in the UK and the gradual downward movement of the pound in relation to other currencies.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 2nd 2008 at 11:32 pm.
Jules Europe is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:28 pm
  #73  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,124
montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe View Post
Canadian retirees like to go?
Many head south to florida for 4 months but at the first sign of trouble will hop on a jet and head home to use quebec medicare and / or their private health plans. Health care in the US can cripple one financially
montreal mike is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:31 pm
  #74  
Weirdo Latin Dude
 
Jules Europe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hotter than hell
Posts: 2,545
Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Typically Canadian retirees spend half of the year (less a day) in the US. They want warmth and to retain their state funded healthcare.

I don't see that there's any difference in ordinary life between the US and Canada so, sure, if all things were equal I'd be in Alabama.
Alabama would certainly give you a warm climate. Noticed by chance not too long ago, that Alabama was being promoted as some kind of retirement haven for retirees etc with things like the building of golf courses etc and affordable property. Seems like they are trying to compete with both Florida and Texas to attract retirees.
Jules Europe is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:36 pm
  #75  
Weirdo Latin Dude
 
Jules Europe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hotter than hell
Posts: 2,545
Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by montreal mike View Post
Many head south to florida for 4 months but at the first sign of trouble will hop on a jet and head home to use quebec medicare and / or their private health plans. Health care in the US can cripple one financially
When I worked in South America it was full of American retirees who often told me, that they were there mostly for the private health care, as it was a fraction of the price that they had to pay in the USA. Also found out that nearly all the Doctors were US trained anyway. So same health
care at a fraction of the price.
Jules Europe is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.