Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old May 25th 2009, 7:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That last paragraph took away the credibility in the rest of the post. Those that choose to disbelieve the other aspects that many of us who have lived in the UK recently have experienced will simply continue to disbelieve.
It's shame, because most of the post is relatively well reasoned. Admittably, 5 years ago when I was in the UK I didn't experience these things but things do of course change. Then we get to the bit that defines 'Irony'
Old May 25th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read the rest of it, but i'll chime in with my bile and say the worst thing about the UK are the national tabloid newspapers.

They underpin everything that i don't get: All they talk about is how bad the UK has become, migrants and the latest celebrity scandal. I went back for 10 days earlier this month, i watched TV for about 10 minutes. It was some digital channel with 30/40 something women thinking being as vulgar as possible passes for charm and/or humour.

I did however enjoy the beach, the countryside and I found most people were actually quite polite. Driving skills on the whole are still better in the UK than in Canada.
Old May 26th 2009, 9:20 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
I haven't read the rest of it, but i'll chime in with my bile and say the worst thing about the UK are the national tabloid newspapers.

They underpin everything that i don't get: All they talk about is how bad the UK has become, migrants and the latest celebrity scandal. I went back for 10 days earlier this month, i watched TV for about 10 minutes. It was some digital channel with 30/40 something women thinking being as vulgar as possible passes for charm and/or humour.

I did however enjoy the beach, the countryside and I found most people were actually quite polite. Driving skills on the whole are still better in the UK than in Canada.
Unfortunately there's loads buying them and enjoying the misery they read.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:56 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I love my country also. I would never ever have left the UK if it wasnt for the great opportunity thats has been offered to my husband, and I thank Canada for that.

I lived in Maidstone before coming here 10 days ago. I never experienced crime, or yobs ect although I am sure it went on, just like crime is every where these days. We had a very good like style was able to eat out 3-4 times a week 4 holidays abroad every year - I could go on, but wont.

I know that things will be very different here but I embrace that challenge. The UK will always be my home, even though I live here.

People come to Canada for different reason, not solely because they want to get away from the UK

Rule Britannia - God save the Queen - Hail Tesco .com
Old May 26th 2009, 4:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
I lived in Maidstone before coming here 10 days ago. I never experienced crime, or yobs ect ....We had a very good like style...4 holidays abroad every year...
Perhaps they waited until you went away.
Old May 26th 2009, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Seriously, I am going to miss cadburys Wispa chocolate bar

Can I get year's supply out through canadian customs you think ?
Old May 26th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

I love my country also. I would never ever have left the UK if it wasnt for the great opportunity thats has been offered to my husband, and I thank Canada for that.

I lived in Maidstone before coming here 10 days ago. I never experienced crime, or yobs ect although I am sure it went on, just like crime is every where these days. We had a very good like style was able to eat out 3-4 times a week 4 holidays abroad every year - I could go on, but wont.

I know that things will be very different here but I embrace that challenge. The UK will always be my home, even though I live here.

People come to Canada for different reason, not solely because they want to get away from the UK

You have seen from my previous thread that we have differing opinions on this topic but by its nature it's a subjective issue at best. You are fortunate to live the lifestyle you lead and I commend you for being in that position. I too will always consider the UK my home, after all, it's where I grew up and spent the majority of my adult life. That said, I will miss the UK of my childhood rather than the environment and society that surrounds me today.

Having spent a career in the Armed Forces I find myself a couple of years shy of the big 40 and mandatory retirement. My wife and I have old fashioned values and therefore we wanted our 4 children to spend their early years with us rather than in day care or with a child minder. Needless to say, this has left us living off a single wage for the majority of our married life and we have effectively sacrificed the opportunity to buy our own house. We have no complaints though, it was a personal choice and we stand by our decision.

We therefore find ourselves in the unique position of being made homeless and jobless in the not too distant future as we make the transition into Civvy Street. I am unusually optimistic about getting employment, even in this climate, however, even though house prices have fallen I still see this as the defining factor that will influence our long term future. As much as I would like to live in the country the reality points towards job prospects and affordability - in my case on the outskirts of Bristol. With 4 children I need to be looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house within commuting distance. I will have a £50K deposit at my disposal but this will still leave me a considerable mortgage for the remainder of my working life. There's an old adage that goes along the lines of, 'work to live, not live to work,' as it stands, if I stay here I see a future based around the latter and not the former.

So, if we’re going to start a complete new life then why not in a completely new country. I think it will provide a better long term future for my family and I. We were fortunate enough to be posted there for a year so at least we’ve already had some experience of living there already.
Old May 26th 2009, 9:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joepublic
With 4 children I need to be looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house within commuting distance. I will have a £50K deposit at my disposal but this will still leave me a considerable mortgage for the remainder of my working life....So, if we’re going to start a complete new life then why not in a completely new country.
So $89,000 then. You could get somewhere for that in Atlantic Canada - maybe needing a little work - or get a small mortgage for something else.

I saw a duplex the other day for under $120,000 that was effectively a semi detached, 3 bedrooms each side. You could rent out the other side.

A finished basement could provide the fourth bedroom...but just trying to give you an idea of prices.
Old May 26th 2009, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Monica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really nice

Originally Posted by chumley
personal view though really

I absolutely loath the uk and all that is has become if I thought otherwise I would not have left.....

If my immigration is unsucessful for any reason I will never ever set foot in the UK again and will simply seek another more civilised nation

my view is that the UK is a now a basket case
Which part of the UK did you live in? It sounds as if you've grown up in a horrible part of the UK.

We live in Scotland which is beautiful, apart from the weather I like living in the UK. ( My family all live in Australia.) The only advantage that Australia has compared to the UK is the weather and nicer beaches.

I do think the UK has more going on, for a start there's more people here!!

Are other countries more civilised than here(UK)? I don't know about that, australian men that I know are more crude towards women compared to the average British men who on the whole have more manners.

Last edited by Monica Chambers; May 26th 2009 at 10:33 pm.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:39 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The truth is that there are too many people for such a small land mass. It is going to get worse and the UK is forecasted to have 72 million residents by 2050.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:21 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

The truth is that there are too many people for such a small land mass. It is going to get worse and the UK is forecasted to have 72 million residents by 2050.
And Canada is better why.....................

The density when averaged out looks good (due to vast empty wasteland/tundra)

But the vast majority live in cities and I'd imagine if you took this into consideration the relative density would be very similar
Old May 27th 2009, 1:40 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Jacq, i've been here 10 years, had my kids here, but still love the UK. Would return if I had to, no problem. I'll always consider myself to be British 1st and Canadian 2nd, no reflection on Canada as it's been kind to us, and is a great country.
Old May 27th 2009, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Monica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really niceMonica Chambers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

'The truth is that there are too many people for such a small land mass.'

True, but there is still plenty of green space...culture, heritage, (especially in Scotland) british humour, etc....and I can understand if you don't live in a nice part of the UK you want to get out, but everyone lives different lives even in the UK, depending on their income, aspirations, lifestyle etc... if you live in an inner city with no job, no income, can't drive then you may not be that happy, but It all depends on where you choose to stay, there are still plenty of quiet areas in the UK
You can live in any country and have or not have a good life, there are too many other contributory factors to take into consideration and I believe it is more uncontrollable factors such as the weather that encourages you to move from the UK.
People get made redundant here as well as the USA, Canada, and Australia etc
Old May 27th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

One of the few truism's on this thread....
Old May 27th 2009, 11:27 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
You should come over here to teh great GTA

you'll love brampton....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.