Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old May 23rd 2009, 10:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by joepublic
My nan's Greek

I'll change it to something more appropriate if it makes you happy?
No, no, it stirred disturbing memories but I've quelled them.
Old May 24th 2009, 2:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

the road though.

Then there's the social security bill. Apparently we need more children so we can have more tax payers to fund the crippling pension bill. That's great in theory but perhaps not in practice. My parents rent their house to the local Council who house a single unemployed mother and her child there. The irony is the single mother is the daughter of the next door neighbour. In the old days her parents would have looked after her, now she gets a house of her own paid for by the tax payer (£675 a month rent - not including the benefits she gets). I'm not a gambling man but is that young child going to grow up to be a hard working tax payer when he spends his life seeing his Mum living off state handouts in a rent free house? Perhaps the government see it as speculating to accumulate, I see it as financial suicide.

Why are single mothers/parents automatically seen as scum of the earth, how do you know she is not ashamed to be living off benefits and desperately trying to get her life on track????
Old May 24th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Why are single mothers/parents automatically seen as scum of the earth, how do you know she is not ashamed to be living off benefits and desperately trying to get her life on track????
You may well be right here but on a six month trip to the UK some 10 years back I was amazed at how much money the state pays out in form of heavily subsidized rent, and generally how some have gotten used to living off the dole. I met one person on national assistance who smugly told me he had never worked in his life and didn't intend to do so, being quite content to collect unending national assistance.

I recall asking myself what incentive was there for people to find work and be self sufficient.

Seems to me Canada is far less generous and perhaps for the right reason.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
You may well be right here but on a six month trip to the UK some 10 years back I was amazed at how much money the state pays out in form of heavily subsidized rent, and generally how some have gotten used to living off the dole. I met one person on national assistance who smugly told me he had never worked in his life and didn't intend to do so, being quite content to collect unending national assistance.

I recall asking myself what incentive was there for people to find work and be self sufficient.

Seems to me Canada is far less generous and perhaps for the right reason.
I know there are benefit abusers, but all too often we hear 'Single mother, living off benefits, gets everything for nothing' Yes I know there are those - I used to live next door to one, that was on probation and got a lot more money/handouts/help than I ever did. I would rather people didn't tar every single Mum out there with the same brush. I take personal offence to it.
Old May 24th 2009, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Jazzflute is an unknown quantity at this point

I know there are benefit abusers, but all too often we hear 'Single mother, living off benefits, gets everything for nothing' Yes I know there are those - I used to live next door to one, that was on probation and got a lot more money/handouts/help than I ever did. I would rather people didn't tar every single Mum out there with the same brush. I take personal offence to it.
Ditto - Piff Poff. I've always been a single parent and have never claimed benefits. I've always owned my own home, always worked and have managed to raise a wonderful, respectful and hardworking child. I'm absolutely sick of people generalising as there are plenty of decent single parents like myself. Please don't be ignorant people.

PS to Piff Poff - my first pet was a Chow. Beautiful dogs!!
Old May 24th 2009, 6:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I would like to read all 28 pages of this thread I only have time to add my response to the originator of the post.
Not sure that the OP will even see this - this thread is 6 months old!
Old May 24th 2009, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzflute
Ditto - Piff Poff. I've always been a single parent and have never claimed benefits. I've always owned my own home, always worked and have managed to raise a wonderful, respectful and hardworking child. I'm absolutely sick of people generalising as there are plenty of decent single parents like myself. Please don't be ignorant people.

With you on the chow love! I'd have a whole flock if I could!
Old May 25th 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jazzflute

What follows is known as a 'tactical withdrawal' in the Army .........

Obviously I've hit a raw nerve here which wasn't the intention and I apologise if I caused offence. I do realise that there are many single mothers who are hard working tax payers and make a valuable contribution to the coffers. Unfortunately, evidence suggests that 'in general' for whatever reasons, i.e. difficulty in obtaining child care or too little financial incentive etc, they are in the minority.

My point was merely to highlight the fact that the government's current welfare strategy is socially and financially defunct.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:29 am
Account Closed

With you on the chow love! I'd have a whole flock if I could!
Me too!
Old May 25th 2009, 9:41 am
Account Closed

What follows is known as a 'tactical withdrawal' in the Army .........

Obviously I've hit a raw nerve here which wasn't the intention and I apologise if I caused offence. I do realise that there are many single mothers who are hard working tax payers and make a valuable contribution to the coffers. Unfortunately, evidence suggests that 'in general' for whatever reasons, i.e. difficulty in obtaining child care or too little financial incentive etc, they are in the minority.

My point was merely to highlight the fact that the government's current welfare strategy is socially and financially defunct.
Apology accepted.

It just seems that all single parents are portrayed as lazy scroungers who watch Jeremy Kyle every morning while their sprogs eat sausage rolls for breakfast. The benefit system is open to abuse - take for example couples who claim single parent benefit, also those who are on benefits who work cash in hand, and the worst kind in my view - those who are more than fit and able who claim disability benefits. I guess the list is endless really.

Anyway, must go, I'm off to watch Jeremy Kyle on ITV2 (I was too lazy to get up and watch the first episode)!!
Old May 25th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

I think the defining factor which makes me want to leave my place of birth is the new breed of people which now live here. Quite what has changed to the British social structure I do not know but without wanting to generalise the majority seem to be evolving into disrespectful, self obsessed and egotistical individualists. Personally, I think it all started when credit was made freely available and every man on the street was offered (borrowed) money to spend. It created a breed of 'I can have what I want, when I want it' and in turn a social competition of keeping up with the Jones'. Food and shelter used to be the minimum requirements to keep us going, now if we haven't got the latest mobile, plasma TV and designer jeans then it's blatant injustice and the end of the world.

Closely following is the lack of policing and social justice which has eroded all respect for fellow man and authority. Deterrents are all but non-existent and those that do commit crime jump straight on the human rights band wagon prior to receiving a minimum sentence for fear of further aggravating the penal overcrowding. I know I won't forget the coffee I bought from McDonald's at 6.45am the other morning - I sat there in the car stirring in my milk only to watch 3 youths cross the car park and indiscriminately set about some poor bloke walking out the restaurant carrying his breakfast. I never want to see anyone get their head stamped on like that again in my lifetime.

Of course, you've got the satellite factors to add on top such as traffic. I live 5 miles from work and it takes over 40-minutes to drive there (yes that's just over 7 mph average). I've now resorted to riding a push bike which only takes 20 minutes. However, the government seem to have completely conflicting policies on this one. On one hand they keep piling the tax on fuel and the road fund license, in order to 'reduce the amount of traffic on the road.' In the next breath they're offering a £2,000 rebate on a new car purchase in order to save the ailing car manufacturers. One thing I do know is that my driving taxes don't get spent on the road though.

Then there's the social security bill. Apparently we need more children so we can have more tax payers to fund the crippling pension bill. That's great in theory but perhaps not in practice. My parents rent their house to the local Council who house a single unemployed mother and her child there. The irony is the single mother is the daughter of the next door neighbour. In the old days her parents would have looked after her, now she gets a house of her own paid for by the tax payer (£675 a month rent - not including the benefits she gets). I'm not a gambling man but is that young child going to grow up to be a hard working tax payer when he spends his life seeing his Mum living off state handouts in a rent free house? Perhaps the government see it as speculating to accumulate, I see it as financial suicide.

I could go on but I want this to be seen a constructive case rather than a whine. In short, I used to love this country and I was proud to call it my home. In the last 25 years it's become 'managed decline' - do I want to stay here and spend the rest of my life paying an over inflated mortgage on a house the size of a shoe box........I don't really think so.
Well said!!!! To all the people living in peaceful villages, I hope and pray that what has/is happening to ours. I have lived here in our village for 10 years now and never really saw myself wanting to move anywhere, its one of the better areas to live in Rotherham (Which isnt hard ) everyone knows your name and business which isn't always a good thing, I have three pubs within a stone's throw of my house which I can go into anytime and find someone I know and we were relatively crime free.
We are surrounded by other larger areas and this is where the problems have arose. Over the last few years the local councils have rehoused the unemployed, drug addicts, drug dealers, benefit cheats, etc and put them right next door to us, which has resulted in people being jumped and beaten almost to death, as happened recently. Only 2 nights ago our shelves were shaking in the house, not an earthquake but the police helicopter hovering over our house and a group of police cars at the local pub as again someone was being beaten to a pulp again!!
The police helicopter is now a common sight over our once peaceful village, a walk on the local fields with our two dogs is now filled with the very real possibility of being run down by the local yobs on their off road bikes and just last week we also had our car stolen off our street!!!
So as I said, enjoy your life and pray your councils don't sell you out the way ours have just to rehome people who to be honest dont deserve them just so they can build new homes to house the incoming immigrants!!
Thats it rant over!!
Old May 25th 2009, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags1972
So as I said, enjoy your life and pray your councils don't sell you out the way ours have just to rehome people who to be honest dont deserve them just so they can build new homes to house the incoming immigrants!!
<chortles>
Old May 25th 2009, 2:01 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thats it rant over!!
You should come over here to teh great GTA

you'll love brampton....................
Old May 25th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeUK
You should come over here to teh great GTA

you'll love brampton....................
That good eh? Oh yeah forgot to add the local newsagent got held up at knifepoint 2 weeks ago at 1 in the afternoon!!!
I don't deny that this goes on in most countries but I just wanted to point out to Christmasoompa that this is the real UK to most people over here!!

Last edited by Alphawolf; May 25th 2009 at 4:17 pm.
Old May 25th 2009, 7:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...enjoy your life and pray your councils don't sell you out the way ours have just to rehome people who to be honest dont deserve them just so they can build new homes to house the incoming immigrants!!
That last paragraph took away the credibility in the rest of the post. Those that choose to disbelieve the other aspects that many of us who have lived in the UK recently have experienced will simply continue to disbelieve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.