Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Then I think you're point of migrating is, uh, pointless and you'll end up unhappy.

R.
It's not pointless, we're going for hubby's career.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Are you loaded?
Not remotely - I wish!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not pointless, we're going for hubby's career.
sorry but the UK is AHHHHH hell my lips are sealed, and I am so happy you love the UK so much so good luck in what you and your OH do if its here or in Canada
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think what happens is this.

Someone posts one or two things they don't like about the UK. Everyone can find something even if most people think it's mostly good.

But most people will comment on different things so it then looks like a 'Trash the UK' thread with a multitude of complaints.

It's the same when someone finds fault with one or two things in Canada. Like the recent 'Canada behind the times' thread. Most people will have one or two irritations while most will like most other things. But because, collectively, several things get a mention, it looks like a 'Bash Canada' thread.

In neither case is it really trashing or bashing. When you do get someone adding a new criticism, they often contradict previous complaints anyway. It's life.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, I shouls stay out of this as I don't understand how the uk can possibly be defended.

I guess its a great country if you like

escalating knife crime, lower and lower family\moral values generation on generation. Rediculous proportioning of governement funding that seems distinctly in favour of people who have no intention of ever working for a living.

On the other side of the coin, I guess we do have a lot of pubs which is a positive ;-)

Nah, Trash it for me. Can't wait to get out of here.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I have lived in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and afew other places in Europe etc and to be honest England is a dive, Scotland is becoming a dive and Northern Ireland is crap! This is only my opinion!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonhatter
On the other side of the coin, I guess we do have a lot of pubs which is a positive ;-)
As are free prescriptions for kids and others and not too expensive for everyone else.

And local taxes can be spread over 10 months instead of having to be paid in one go - tho I understand that's not the same everywhere.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:56 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I shouls stay out of this as I don't understand how the uk can possibly be defended.

escalating knife crime, lower and lower family\moral values generation on generation. Rediculous proportioning of governement funding that seems distinctly in favour of people who have no intention of ever working for a living.

Don`t be suprised if a whole lot of other people slag you off on here for saying this stuff, as there are a lot of very sensitive types on the Canadian forum who easily get insulted. Whatever you do don`t say how great Canada is or they will really lay into you. I have done that, so I know what they are like.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

escalating knife crime
You are aware that they have knife crime in Canada too, right?! And that there are more murders per capita there than in the UK?

Also, I have to comment on your statement that family values and morals are declining 'generation on generation' here - I am only 32 but I have two young children who are incredibly polite, well behaved, and I don't see how my morals are any different to my grandparents to be honest. Admittedly I am quite old fashioned so perhaps that's why, but every other family we know is the same and has delightful children.

We also know numerous teenagers and they are all working hard at school, polite, friends with their parents and working Saturday and evening jobs to earn their own money. None of them bear any resemblance to the teenagers that we keep being told by the Daily Mail are all so common in the UK now.

But as I said, I clearly live in some parallel universe in the UK to everybody else!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:05 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You are aware that they have knife crime in Canada too, right?! And that there are more murders per capita there than in the UK?

Also, I have to comment on your statement that family values and morals are declining 'generation on generation' here - I am only 32 but I have two young children who are incredibly polite, well behaved, and I don't see how my morals are any different to my grandparents to be honest. Admittedly I am quite old fashioned so perhaps that's why, but every other family we know is the same and has delightful children.

We also know numerous teenagers and they are all working hard at school, polite, friends with their parents and working Saturday and evening jobs to earn their own money. None of them bear any resemblance to the teenagers that we keep being told by the Daily Mail are all so common in the UK now.

But as I said, I clearly live in some parallel universe in the UK to everybody else!
I briefly know Amersham and remember it being a nice place like a lot of Bucks so I imagine you wouldn`t see too much ugly stuff there.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
I have lived in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and afew other places in Europe etc and to be honest England is a dive, Scotland is becoming a dive and Northern Ireland is crap! This is only my opinion!
But there's always Wales
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:12 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
But there's always Wales
And Welsh women have the sexiest of accents
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:15 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Don`t be suprised if a whole lot of other people slag you off on here for saying this stuff, as there are a lot of very sensitive types on the Canadian forum who easily get insulted. Whatever you do don`t say how great Canada is or they will really lay into you. I have done that, so I know what they are like.
personally I get annoyed when people make sweeping and rather ignorant-sounding statements such as "the UK can't possibly be defended", "England is a dive", "the UK is a basket case" because they sound like emotional generalisations from people who haven't done much research and are totally at odds with my experiences and observations.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:17 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by elfman
personally I get annoyed when people make sweeping and rather ignorant-sounding statements such as "the UK can't possibly be defended", "England is a dive", "the UK is a basket case" because they sound like emotional generalisations from people who haven't done much research and are totally at odds with my experiences and observations.
Elfy baby................Don`t shoot the mesenger eh
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:30 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Just sounds like where I live but with more graffeti....Perth Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.