Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I knew winters in certain parts of Canada got down to -30 and for me that is shocking, so why would I be even more shocked when I got there?
I've never done -30 in Canada but I've done -15, and prefer that and Toronto's 5 months of winter per year a heck of a lot more than the 12 months of rain we had in the UK. Mosquitoes in summer I can live with too, just need to make sure I have sunscreen and mozzie repellent.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not the same as a pub as, on this type of forum, many things can be proven by linking to an authoritative source. One can, for example, easily show how much snow a place typically gets by reference to a weather site. What one cannot demonstrate is how it feels to shovel that much snow. For that you gotta try it.
The forum is available to those that want to provide a source and to those that don`t. It`s not in the forum rules. Most of the postings on this thread have not had any links to sources but are based on opinions and assumptions. How could for example livermanl who may never ever talk to me again prove with statistical information his daily trip to London, unless of course he kept his own log. But as we know that could easily be tampered with Would you say the buying of groceries in Canada is anymore of a challenge than say buying groceries in a supermarket in Europe. There may well be statistical info to back that up somewhere, but its probably not worth anybody actaully looking into it.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:06 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I've never done -30 in Canada but I've done -15, and prefer that and Toronto's 5 months of winter per year a heck of a lot more than the 12 months of rain we had in the UK. Mosquitoes in summer I can live with too, just need to make sure I have sunscreen and mozzie repellent.
Whereabouts is Scarborough in Ontario?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I do ask questions about what life is like in Canada and I am well informed on it. I know some of the important stuff like the climate and distance to Europe
What do you think of the architecture?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:18 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What do you think of the architecture?
If you are referring to Canada then pretty bland like much of North America even though the CN Tower is not too bad. In fact the only great architecture that I know of in Canada is in Quebec. That is no surprise though given the French inflence there.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are referring to Canada then pretty bland like much of North America even though the CN Tower is not too bad. In fact the only great architecture that I know of in Canada is in Quebec. That is no surprise though given the French inflence there.
What about the Scarborough Town Centre?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts is Scarborough in Ontario?
Scarborough is the eastern-most suburb of Toronto. A good overview can be found here .

I like it here, others who've lived here haven't. It's all a case of personal choice.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I do miss the those quaint historic building in the old town of Scarborough
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

I know nothing of architecture so couldn't tell you what is good or bad about it. The STC is a pretty good mall for shopping, but then it's local and convenient so we're more likely to go there.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Bland is being kind. I only mention it because it won't seem to matter much until you face the prospect of getting old here and contemplate the depressing reality of the total lack of beauty in the built environment.

I accept that Quebec City is a minor exception. The CN Tower, not so much.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:33 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

??? Maybe you have posted to me by accident here.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:35 pm
Born again atheist

??? Maybe you have posted to me by accident here.
He means as an example of Canadian architecture.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
He means as an example of Canadian architecture.
Quite. I'm interested to know how Jules thinks it compares with Saint Paul's Cathedral.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Dear Ruby................Surely your not hearing voices in your head as well now

And when you want to write to me please feel free. I am a shoulder that you can cry on anytime
I doubt it hun
Attached Thumbnails Don't Trash the UK!-rose-tints.jpg  
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:50 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Quite. I'm interested to know how Jules thinks it compares with Saint Paul's Cathedral.
Firstly why would I compare something in Canada to say St.Pauls`s, Notre Dame or Barcelona Cathedral? To be honest when I was in Canada the vast majority of architecture was so bland that maybe I never noticed it for that reason.

Skyscrapers hold a novelty factor for me but that is about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.